The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:46 PM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 560319
x509 Reputation: 10
Default Memtest reports no error yet system BSODs with stop codes 1A and 109

I have a competely stock i3 system, default BIOS settings, no overclocking, etc Windows 7 Professional 64. I have this corsair memory:

XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Sometimes my system runs weeks without a BSOD. Other times I'm guaranteed to get a BSOD every day. Most of hte time, it's a stop code 1A (memory) or 109. Stop code is "corrupt data structure," which i'm guessing is a subtle form of memory corruption.)

When I wanted to install Win 7, most of the time, that process would fail just as Windows is expanding files, about 1%. It's pretty repeatable.

So here is hte problem. I just ran memtest 86, the latest v4.20 and no errors after about 22 passes. Yet most of the BSODs are tied to memory.

So how long do I need to run memtest? Again, at times my system goes weeks without a problem, other times I have a problem every day.

So would you accept all these BSODs as justification for a warranty exchange, in lieu of memttest results?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 560343
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

That would suggest some other issue if they pass www.memtest.org but you get that type of a problem or error randomly. Most likely Voltage or thermal. Do you have the latest MB BIOS and have you tested the modules one at a time to be sure one is not weak? And what are the settings you have set for both CPU and memory in your BIOS setup?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Garvin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 560364
Garvin Reputation: 10

Stop error code 1a and 109 can also be due to a corrupt or poorly written driver (usually chipset or video). In those cases, the driver is writing over a piece of the Windows kernal corrupting the data structure. When it does Windows will Blue Screen immediately to protect it self and the data on the hard drive. Just a possibility.
CAS latency - RAS to CAS Delay - RAS Precharge - Active to Precharge Delay(also called Active Precharge delay and RAS Active time)
http://www.memtest.org/

Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 AM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 562094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Stop error code 1a and 109 can also be due to a corrupt or poorly written driver (usually chipset or video). In those cases, the driver is writing over a piece of the Windows kernal corrupting the data structure. When it does Windows will Blue Screen immediately to protect it self and the data on the hard drive. Just a possibility.
OK. Thanks. This is good info. I will need to update drivers to the very latest.

However, when I install Win 7 Pro, I almost always get a crash when Windows starts to "expand" the files. I don't know if Windows installs any drivers when it is installing itself. Does this make sense? Does this help to narrow down the potential problems?

This problem is so intermittent, but it's driving me crazy. I can't "turn over" this relatively low-end, absolutely stock settings, system to my wife (so I can upgrade to my 3930/16 GB watercooled Photoshop killer system) until this machine is rock-solid.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 AM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564200

Quote:
Originally Posted by x509 View Post
OK. Thanks. This is good info. I will need to update drivers to the very latest.

However, when I install Win 7 Pro, I almost always get a crash when Windows starts to "expand" the files. I don't know if Windows installs any drivers when it is installing itself. Does this make sense? Does this help to narrow down the potential problems?

This problem is so intermittent, but it's driving me crazy. I can't "turn over" this relatively low-end, absolutely stock settings, system to my wife (so I can upgrade to my 3930/16 GB watercooled Photoshop killer system) until this machine is rock-solid.
Guys, can anyone respond to this message? Thanks.

x509

Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564237
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Did you test the modules one at a time with memtest to be sure one is not failing?

Tags
bsod 0x1a, memtest86+