Corsair Community

H100 leak?

omarnawabi

Hey so today i was doing a dust clean up of my desktop and internal components, when cleaning my gtx 480 i found these little circle buble like flattened residues of what appeared to be a dry liquid. I inspected the corsair h100 but couldnt really find any clues as to whether its a leak or not... However when taking a tissue and rubbing the side of the ch100 gently where the tubing is... I get this faint light yellow color on the tissue, is this grease or a leak??????? Also i occasionally like maybe once a month i feel like my computer emits this burnt strong smell, but it may just be form it being dusty. I dont know if i am paranoid or what! anyways today i cleaned it up so i ll see if that occurs again. But about the yellow liquid is it normal? grease: leak? let me know whats happening

Take a good look around the areas where the tubing connects to both the pump and the rad to see if there is any kind of build up in that area. If it's gonna leak that would be the spot.

There has been quite a few posts about the fans emitting excess oil from the fans and that should eventually quit.

If you cant see any real visible signs of a leak, i would keep a good eye on it for the next few days or so and maybe wipe it down again.

Ya i mean maybe i am paranoid, i dont no.....But i ll keep an eye out for it i mean its kinda hard to see to since the plug is on the cpu inside the system and i want to avoid disconnected it as i d have to reapply thermal paste and etc.........however i ll keep an eye out for anything....... i mean is the fluid inside yellow when contact with tissue?.... and like i ve never had experience with water cooling before, i think leaks would be hard to find. I mean how can i deduce for sure if theres a leak ? would the leak dry up ? does it only leak when the system is on? i am confused

okay so i used it today and left it on and after turning it off tonight, i took a cue tip and went around the area where the tubes connect to the cpu block head, and i got a slight yellow residue on the tip.. I felt it its thick and waxy, like grease... can anyone confirm this is grease and not the fluid from the inside? ram guy? anyone?

okay so i used it today and left it on and after turning it off tonight, i took a cue tip and went around the area where the tubes connect to the cpu block head, and i got a slight yellow residue on the tip.. I felt it its thick and waxy, like grease... can anyone confirm this is grease and not the fluid from the inside? ram guy? anyone?

Hmmm...Not sure ! I dont know if they use any sort of "grease" in the pump head or not. The fans use just a light machine oil and that would be present on the fans but not the pump head.. It may be some sort of lubricant used during manufacturing to get the hoses onto the barbs.

Since you cleaned it good today, you might want to give it one more day and check it again to see if more is present.

Inspect the fan frames, are there small droplets on there? If so, it is the fan bearing oil.

Yes that would be excess oil from the fans. That should quit once the excess has been slung out.

Hmmm...Not sure ! I dont know if they use any sort of "grease" in the pump head or not. The fans use just a light machine oil and that would be present on the fans but not the pump head.. It may be some sort of lubricant used during manufacturing to get the hoses onto the barbs.

Since you cleaned it good today, you might want to give it one more day and check it again to see if more is present.

Yes that would be excess oil from the fans. That should quit once the excess has been slung out.

why am i not getting any feedback from other people?

Because the people that did reply covered your issue just fine. A little oil spray from the fans is seen here once in a while, and actual coolant leaks are even less common, very rare actually.

What kind of responses were you expecting?

Because the people that did reply covered your issue just fine. A little oil spray from the fans is seen here once in a while, and actual coolant leaks are even less common, very rare actually.

but the oil is not on the fans or near the radiator its at the joints of the tubing with the cpu head? i guess its nothing to worry about i just wanted someone to confirm this is normal,i will add pictures

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/dsc00008s.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/dsc00010cy.jpg/

ZOOM IN AROUND WHERE THE TUBE ATTACHES TO THE HEAD, i cleaned some off and it feels like a viscous liquid its yellow.... any ideas?!!

As you now may know, pics are not immediately posted, not before moderator approval.

Sorry, but I can't see anything, you cleaned things up to good. I'll look again... Not sure what color the liquid in your cooler really is.

zoom in around the tube connections to the head, theres like a yellowish liquid like substance you can see it in the pics

• Corsair Employee
It could be grease or coolant, its really hard to tell based on those photos. After cleaning them off, is it still present on the same area? If it's indeed a leak then most likely it will be on the same spot and will have a coolant type of odor.

It could be grease or coolant, its really hard to tell based on those photos. After cleaning them off, is it still present on the same area? If it's indeed a leak then most likely it will be on the same spot and will have a coolant type of odor.

what kind of odor and i am going to check again soon when i am cleaning the inside of my desktop ...... but i dont its a leak so phew i ll keep you updated

More than likely its the lubricant from the fan and if so please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can send you new fans but explain that inn the description.

Hey ramguy i doubt its the fan grease as the substance is found primarly at the joints, i ll open my system in a week for a closer look to see if its back, but when cleaning it off initially it was a thick YELLOW substance and kind of sticky........ the coolant i d expect to be clearn and more viscous....... Does corsair grease the joints? during assembly???

Please use the link on the left and request an RMA we can replace the unit.

Hey ramguy i dont want to go through the hassle of sending it, i dont think its leaking, i am opening up my desktop tommorow to clean it up so shall make sure....... Can corsair confirm they grease the joints? please.

Archived