Corsair Community

Carbide 400R/H100 Problems

Lenster

Well this build was a nightmare beginning to end.

I wanted to replace my old case and H50 with the 400R and H100 and keep my ASUS P5Q-E with Q9650 processor.

To begin with, getting the adhesive strips from the H50 backplate off was a challenge and there is still some residual. Then I moved the MB to the 400R, installed the H100 and found that there was not enough room to get the rear of the two fans onto the rad because the top finned heatsink on the P5Q-E was too high. I had to wind up shifting the rear fan offset side to side to the rad by about a half inch and mount it using cable ties. I know Corsair can't check every MB in their cases, but the Asus P5 series isn't that old.

Anyway, on the H100 I had a diffucult time getting the new backplate to line up with the holes in the MB. It almost looked like the MB was a little warped, but I guess if t was, I wouldn't be able to line them up at all.

Got the rig up and running and voila my temps are 50c at idle where they were 39c with the H50. So I guess today will be "reseat" day. Trouble is I can't go back to my H50 backplate since I have already put the H50 in my son's PC.

I will try loosening up the MB screws until I reseat the pump in the and then tighten them back up in case it is the MB. I don't even know if I am imagining the MB warp problem.

I guess my main complaint with Corsair is the unpleasant surprise with the MB heat sink interference. I placed this post here instead of the case forum since I am looking for any tips on getting my temps back down.

Len

Try and rotate the pump 90 degrees as the capacitors are placed right next to the the CPU socket. This should ensure proper contact with the CPU.

Thanks. That reduced my temps from 50 to 42. When I pulled the pump the paste was only transferred to the bottom third of the heatspreader, so you were right about the caps. After running abot ten minutes with the pump rotated, I pulled it again and the paste had spread to cover all but the very edges of the heatspreader.

I was running my H50 in a push/pull with shrouds on both sides. It was mounted in three 5.25 bays and drawing air in. The H100 is mounted in a push setup and pushing air out of the case. I was hoping for the same or better temps, but 3c is not too shabby.

On another note, today I looked at other motherboards and many of them have high finned heatsinks at the top of the board. I would imaging they would have the same clearance issues with the Carbide 400R and H100.

Seems there may be other unhappy campers soon to join the party.

I should have gotten the 500R. Oh well!

Hello, By any chance did you install spacers in the top 3 mounting holes? I ask this question only because I almost made this mistake. This would explain the warp.

I installed one but it didn't look right so I used a straight edge to check and confirmed they aren't needed. Don't know why they give you 4 spacers.

Heres is a shot of how I offset the fan with zip ties.

I would order low profile fans if I knew they would solve the problem. Getting this juryrig off then on again is not fun.

Len

edit: Would the scythe low profile have enough CFM to be effective? Has anyone used low profile fans on these radiators?

IMG_20111018_130901.thumb.jpg.c88cffab220c67c7bda108531dbc8cc3.jpg

Those Scythe low profile fans are very weak regarding airflow. You could just use one of the 2000 RPM version of these fans in that one position, but how it would work with the H100's fan controller is another question.

There are a few after-market heat sinks that might fit in that location and allow clearance for the fan, but not easy to find and the fit must be exact. Given the heatsinks location, right next to the fans, could it be trimmed down a bit to allow the fan to fit? Some case modder's would tell you to use a Dremel tool on that fan and make it fit, but I can't tell if that would work.

I can't tell from the picture, but it looks like that heatsink could be turned 180 degrees and perhaps clear the fan?

Those Scythe low profile fans are very weak regarding airflow. You could just use one of the 2000 RPM version of these fans in that one position, but how it would work with the H100's fan controller is another question.

There are a few after-market heat sinks that might fit in that location and allow clearance for the fan, but not easy to find and the fit must be exact. Given the heatsinks location, right next to the fans, could it be trimmed down a bit to allow the fan to fit? Some case modder's would tell you to use a Dremel tool on that fan and make it fit, but I can't tell if that would work.

I can't tell from the picture, but it looks like that heatsink could be turned 180 degrees and perhaps clear the fan?

Thanks for the input. I think my best best is to leave it as is until a CPU/MB upgrade is in order. My knuckles are not quite healed from the last go around of getting that rear fan in place.

Len

Archived