Corsair Community

[Mixing RAM Question] I bought two 1x8GB sticks but I want 32GB for quad channel

Joaquin8911

I'll be using a Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 motherboard and I bought Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM.

So I bought these two sticks before doing some research because I assumed I could just go and buy RAM and mix it as long as it was the same bus speed, I was thinking about upgrading a little later down the road to 32GB and then to 64GB, but I started to read about RAM and compatibility and even though many people say that you can mix RAM as long as it has the same specs, it seems that's not always the case.

So I don't know what to do now, am I going to have issues even if my sticks are the same model? I got Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 1600MHz 10-10-10-27 1.50V ver2.21 and from their serial number, they came in the same lot (If that makes things better).

Can I buy a 2x8GB kit to go quad channel? Or should I just try to run these two together and buy a 32Gb or 64GB kit later and discard these two 1x8GB?

Or worst case scenario. Do I have to discard these two and get a matching kit? I just don't want to have any compatibility issue.

If you are wondering why I haven't tested them, that's because I haven't bought my case and CPU, so that's why I'm asking this as I would like to have everything as perfect as possible by this weekend.

Thank you!

while its not advised to,sometimes you can mix ram and get away with it but i have a rule

if your going to tax the system then pair them up.

i know it suxx because people like to increase ram in increments to avoid tossing memory and also less painful on the wallet

but in the end its either be sure or gamble

while its not advised to,sometimes you can mix ram and get away with it but i have a rule

if your going to tax the system then pair them up.

i know it suxx because people like to increase ram in increments to avoid tossing memory and also less painful on the wallet

but in the end its either be sure or gamble

So is it chance? Then if they do work, I shouldn't think about getting a 2 stick pack to try quad channel because then it would be a gamble again, right?

Yes, you may run into issues mixing memory, even if they're the same part number. Then again, you may not. We do not recommend mixing memory since if they're not packaged together we have not tested them together.

Oh, so you DO test them together, there were a lot of people saying it was just marketing but It's nice to hear an answer directly from an employee because what I found in other forums were just mixed opinions but I guess that is to be expected when it comes to something that may or may not work.

Thank you both. I should have made my research before buying these ones, but oh well, at least it won't happen again.

Archived