Corsair Community

How can I check that I am using MSAHCI?

Stewart1

OK, now I have an updated X128, I want to be sure that the TRIM command is being passed. fsutil shows disabledeletenotify to be 0, so that is good. But other threads make it clear that I need to be using the MSAHCI driver. How do I establish that? I've looked at the Corsair in Device Manager and this is what I get:

http://www.netspeed.com.au/sgskelt/AO/Clipboard01.jpg

None of those look like msahci.sys - or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks RG. If you mean

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

I have read it and I cannot see how to tell whether I am actually using the MSAHCI Driver.

edit: doubtless because Microsoft assumes that anyone reading that is going to be some sort of ubergeek, for whom such knowledge is a given. Alas not so in my case

i was wondering the same thing and by using google and "common sence" i am quite confident that i have nailed down how to confirm the MSAHCI driver is active.

By looking at what to do if you are in IDE and want to go AHCI without re-installing you need to go to go into your registry and look-up:

HKey_local_machine/system/currentcontrolset/services/msahci

and set the "start" value to "0" to have it start at the next re-boot. From this i take it that the value (0) indicates that the MSAHCI driver starts and is "active".

Would be great if someone could confirm that this is the correct way to confirm this.

I have a value of (0) but suspect Trim is not "active" even though i was able to update the FW on my X128 so i would be very interested to know.

Cheers,

• Corsair Employee

There is an awesome Blog about SSD's in general on MSDN that is good reading to help understand the basics.

How to enable TRIM Command in Windows 7 with a Solid State Drive

To enable or disable TRIM Command, you will need to open an Elevated Command Prompt window.

How To Open an Elevated Command Prompt window: Click on Start Orb > Type "CMD.exe" in Search box > Right click on "CMD" and select "Run as Administrator" (If you receive a prompt confirmation, click YES)

How to Enable TRIM Command

In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

How to Disable TRIM Command

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

Results explained below:

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 after Instalation:

There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing. The detailed steps from Microsoft are as follows:

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.

2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

These steps are provided at your own risk and not suggested unless you know and understand the risks. You will want to make sure the controller driver and MB BIOS support this option before you enable it

OK, thanks, and please bear with me here, because I am still a bit confused.

I am happy with being in IDE mode. But the implication o THIS, from the TRIM FAQ on this forum:

- Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI / working for IDE and AHCI mode)

is that I need to go through the MSAHCI enabling, ie changing the "Start" value to 0, even to allow the TRIM command to be passed to the drive in IDE mode. Is that correct?

Thanks for your patience.

• Corsair Employee
You can check if TRIM is active with the steps I just posted. They (Microsoft) suggest AHCI mode as would I but It is solely up to the driver to pass the command no matter if its IDE or AHCI Mode, assuming of course that TRIM enabled Firmware is installed and you are using Windows 7 on a supported controller.

I think you are saying that I have to edit the registry to start the MSAHCI driver, even if all I want it to do is pass the TRIM command to the drive in IDE mode.

So that is what I will try.

edit: OK, I've done it. msahci.sys still does not appear as a driver when I inspect the drive using Device Manager, but perhaps that's looking at something else. If I understand everything correctly, having checked disabledeletenotify=0 and msahci start=0, there is nothing else I can do, other than wait and observe the performance of the drive.

• Corsair Employee
I think you are saying that I have to edit the registry to start the MSAHCI driver, even if all I want it to do is pass the TRIM command to the drive in IDE mode.

No I am suggesting that you check for TRIM support if it shows active then you should leave it alone unless of course you just want to use AHCI, then yes you have to edit the registry and enable it then reboot and enable it in BIOS.

So before you make that change you should make sure that you have that option in the BIOS and that you have the latest driver that support AHCI Mode.

Then you can go through the steps to enable it if you choose to.

edit: OK, I've done it. msahci.sys still does not appear as a driver when I inspect the drive using Device Manager, but perhaps that's looking at something else. If I understand everything correctly, having checked disabledeletenotify=0 and msahci start=0, there is nothing else I can do, other than wait and observe the performance of the drive.

Edit to the Edit:eek:

You should be set and AHCI is a mode not a Hard ware driver so you will not see a driver listed in device manager other than the Microsoft MSAHCI.SYS which loads as a service or driver as Windows boots.

I appreciate your patience Ram Guy.

So if you want to use TRIM in IDE mode, ALL YOU NEED TO DO is check that disabledeletenotify=0, is that right?

Despite this:

- Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI / working for IDE and AHCI mode)

Look in the device manager under"IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

If you have the MSAHCI installed then there will be a entry

"Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial Controller"

I don't. What I have is "ATA Channel 0" (x5), "ATA Channel 1" (x5) and "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" (x5).

But as I have said, I was not seeking to turn on AHCI, and have not changed the mode from IDE in the BIOS. All I want is to ensure that the TRIM commands are being passed to the SSD.

Archived