The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Customer Service > Warranty and RMA Questions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:02 PM

POST ID # = 164218
CudIHavBn Reputation: 10
Default xms3202 v1.0 vs 4.1

I have an Asus K8v deluxe motherboard. I have one stick on cmx512 3200c2pro v1.0. Been quite happy. Christmas time. Got to buy another stick. Exactly the same except v4.1. Getting Dimm timing mismatch, system not supported. Fatal error.... System Halted. I have bios set to auto and also tried to set cas level to 3. Mixmatched banks and no luck. Each stick will boot fine on it's own. Have found another post and the result was to RMA requesting two sticks with the same version number. I just purchased the 4.1 stick. I'm hoping I can just RMA the v1.0 stick and get a 4.1 stick.

I do have a question. The 3200c2pro is supposed to be cas 2 but when I run cpuz on each stick i get cas 2.5 on the v1.0 stick and 3.0 on the v4.1 stick. Why would this not be 2.0?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 01-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 164393
Wired Reputation: 32

The CPU-Z info is reading the SPD probably, which depending on the version can be different things. The C2s are meant to be set to 2.5 Cas for AMD systems.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 01-01-2005, 05:47 PM

POST ID # = 164463

New to the boards, will a RAM guy give me authorization for RMA?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:44 PM

POST ID # = 164482

Well I flashed my bios to the latest version. I can now get my system to at least boot with both sticks but it only sees 512megs in both bios and in windows. What's really strange is when I run cpuz, I can change the slot# and it actually sees both sticks there. They show as different model numbers, but they're the same. Both are cmx512-3200c2pro. I would like to RMA the v1 stick and see if I can get a 4.1 stick. Unless Corsair does advance replacement, I can't be without my pc while waiting on memory to return. Please help. Oh also, I tried interleave on and off. Changed cas level to 3. Up'd voltage to 2.7. No help. The pro versions as you know have the leds but they only light up on one stick, in bank 3.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 164775
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I am sorry but with this platform you cannot mix memory. Both modules would need to be exactly the same part# and revision. If you just purchased these I would ask your reseller if they will let you return them and get a Twinx set instead.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:56 AM

POST ID # = 164939

I just purchased the 4.1 stick. The 1.0 stick I have had for a significant period of time. I went to the Corsair website and it states that cmx512-3200c2pro is compatible with my motherboard. The sticks are $130 ea. If I return the single stick and purchase twinx I would have no purpose for the first stick. That's a lot of money to waste.

When I purchased the first stick, it was for a socket 754 a64 3000+ which has a single channel memory controller. There was no reason to think that I had to purchase dual channel matched pair memory. When I bought the second stick, I bought exactly the same model number.

Is there a way to find out what revision is the current revision? Would a 4.2 and 4.1 be compatible? I would think if I could rma the 1.0 stick and get a 4.x stick I would have a better shot.

Please help.

Michael

Last edited by CudIHavBn; 01-04-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 164958
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Michael
I am sorry, but with this platform the modules would need to be exactly matched. The revision# indicates the IC used to make that specific module.
Unfortunately we are at the mercy of IC memory makers with availability, and even though 2 different IC's will have similar properties they do not always work together. Revision 1.X was made with Winbond -5 Rev C IC's and since Winbond stopped all DRAM production more than a year ago we started using other IC's Revision 4.1 and 4.2 would either be Samsung or Infineon. For best performance I would suggest you use a Twinx set with this MB. You might send me an email with your contact info and link to this post and I will try to help you resolve this.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:35 PM

POST ID # = 165198

Done. Email is sent.