The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 07-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Zammin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963577
Zammin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
If the temp change is steady and long lasting, it seems pump speed does matter in your loop. I don't see a lot of restrictions, but a reduction in the fluid movement seems to be the only real explanation. Perhaps the back up is at in the GPU block, with the coolant slowing down in the GPU, raising the temperature of the water in the block since it is there longer. The reduction in speed also means the coolant is in the radiator longer and has more time to release heat and thus comes back to the 10K sensor cooler. I don't know. I can see this at a 1C difference but at 2-3C it feels like a stretch without a dramatic difference in actual coolant flow (not pump speed). At my normal 2000 rpm on the D5, it is hard for me to detect fluid movement. At 4000 it is like someone is blowing bubbles with a straw inside the GPU block. Maybe see if you can find where you tipping point is for clear fluid movement and if that has any temperature effect.
Yeah I know it's bizarre, that's why I'm questioning the reading of my sensor. I know pump speed shouldn't make that large of a difference so sudden, especially when we are talking about the 2500-4900RPM range. Also the idle temps are sometimes questionable.. That's why I'm wondering if a laser thermometer would be a good way to verify the actual water temp, if I were to point it at the tube right before the sensor?

The Phanteks GPU block I have is actually one of the less restrictive GPU blocks on the market (but slightly underperforming thermally as a result) and yeah I agree with you in that there shouldn't be a tonne of restriction in this loop, so I would have expected 2500RPM to be plenty. It's awfully strange. I'm kinda kicking myself for not including a flow indicator.

I'm gonna have to tear it apart again sometime soon because it's already looking a bit dirty inside the loop.. The inside wall of the reservoir has that dirty look like car glass after the rain. Now that all the bubbles have let go inside the system there are these sort of watermarks where they were in the res and tubing. I don'y know if it's an issue with the EK coolant or if it's insufficient radiator cleaning, but either way once I've finished talking to EK about it I'll be taking it apart to clean. I'll probably use that opportunity to add a flow indicator to the system, and correct any other issues I hope.. It sure would be nice to have it just work normally so I can enjoy it lol.

Last edited by Zammin; 07-15-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:46 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963727
c-attack Reputation: 96

The only thing I am a little worried about is if the laser thermometer will give you an accurate reading. I am not sure you can get the fluid temp. You can probably get the tube temperature, which over a longer duration is the same, but I am not sure it will help identify unexpected changes in liquid temp. Clear materials can also be a bit problematic to scan. I'll try to think of another way to assess this.