Corsair Community

Corsair H150i & Corsair ML Pro Premium Fans

Hapatingjaky

Hey guys,

Wondering if you can answer a few questions for me.

2 Year ago I built a system with 4x ML120 fans in it, blue LED. Which were awesome. Specs indicate 75CFM at 2400RPM.

This weekend a client came too me wanting a new system. So the decision was made to go with the new Corsair H150i. But he wants to do full RGB fans. Reading a few reviews of the H150i and its not so stellar stock ML fans I went looking at the new ML120's and 140's.

The new ML120/140 RGB line can only do 47.3CFM at 1600 RPM, but if I go with say the older ML120 Pro Premium in LED RED/BLUE/WHITE they are still listed as 75CFM 2400RPM.

The system will be setup in Push/Pull using the H150i, 6xML120 LED White and about 4xML140's acting as case fans for exhaust. The case is a 900D. The Corsair 150i will be mounted in the front, 3xML140's will be in the top and one in the rear. I am looking at grabbing 2x PWM fan controllers to control everything using switches instead of software.

Is it best to go this way for both performance and sound? Or should I just toss in the new ML RGB line? I will not overclock the system for him, but he has stated he may attempt it on his own.

The new RGB line will be fine.

I had the same top-end ML fans on my H100i V2. When they released the ML-RGB fans, I saw the specs and had the same thought as you.

But then I tested it ... I set my fans to max out where the new line does; no more than 1600 RPM. Now ... based on reviews, the ML-RGB is slightly more efficient than the ML PRO series so it's not exact ... but it would give me a pretty good idea. I ran that way for over a month. I stress tested it. I played games. And guess what? No difference in CPU temps (not surprising; the fans don't cool the CPU). And less that 0.5C different in coolant temps (which is what the fans actually cool).

Now, there's no way that you can go wrong for performance and sound with the ML series fans. And, to be honest, the ML-RGB fans turn in very good performance AND keep the rig super-quiet while looking sexy.

Good info, thanks.

Next question, and it pertains to the fan controllers. I am not very fond of software based controllers. And I've been looking at a few by Thermaltake, NZXT. Problem is they list PWN but are only 3-Pin as opposed to 4-Pin. So I am looking at the Corsair Commander Pro.

The Commander Pro can only control 6 fans so I would basically need two in this system. The motherboards only have a single USB connector on the board. Is it even possible to run two Corsair Commanders in the system and if so do I just daisy chain them together utilizing the extra two ports on the Corsair Commander?

• Corsair Employee
Good info, thanks.

Next question, and it pertains to the fan controllers. I am not very fond of software based controllers. And I've been looking at a few by Thermaltake, NZXT. Problem is they list PWN but are only 3-Pin as opposed to 4-Pin. So I am looking at the Corsair Commander Pro.

The Commander Pro can only control 6 fans so I would basically need two in this system. The motherboards only have a single USB connector on the board. Is it even possible to run two Corsair Commanders in the system and if so do I just daisy chain them together utilizing the extra two ports on the Corsair Commander?

Yes, you can run multiple Commander PROs in a system and simply daisy chain off of the onboard USB 2.0 headers on the Commander PRO.

Good info, thanks.

How many fans are you talking about here? It is possible to use splitters with the Commander Pro - just make sure that you stay under 1A per port and 4.5A total. Depending on your scenario, this may be perfectly valid. Note also that the coolers have fan controllers built in as well. So if you were thinking that those fans would need a controller ... well, they already have one.

How's about you list the fans and what the proposed set up is? Not that I don't want you to get a CoPro ... I think that they are the shiznit, personally ... but I wouldn't want you to get one you don't need.

This will be going in to a Corsair 900D case with the following setup:

1.) Corsair H150i with 6x ML120 RGB's in Push/Pull config and intake. This will be setup in the front of the chassis.

2.) At the top of the case there will be 3x ML140 RGB's for exhaust.

3.) At the rear of the case, there will be 1x ML140 RGB for exhaust.

4.) If I go with the CoPro's they will be mounted at the bottom of the case. Much easier to hide the cables, although I am pretty sure I will need to use Bitfenix extensions for the fans which will be an additional cost ( hope there isn't any compatability issues with them ).

This is the setup I am going with.

This will be going in to a Corsair 900D case with the following setup:

1.) Corsair H150i with 6x ML120 RGB's in Push/Pull config and intake. This will be setup in the front of the chassis.

2.) At the top of the case there will be 3x ML140 RGB's for exhaust.

3.) At the rear of the case, there will be 1x ML140 RGB for exhaust.

4.) If I go with the CoPro's they will be mounted at the bottom of the case. Much easier to hide the cables, although I am pretty sure I will need to use Bitfenix extensions for the fans which will be an additional cost ( hope there isn't any compatability issues with them ).

This is the setup I am going with.

Cool. OK ... the 6 fans on the cooler can simply be plugged in to the cooler. You could use 3 splitters; that way you'll be able to control those fans completely from the cooler's controller via hardware. The other fans would be on the CoPro ... so you really only need one.

Running the fans to the pump might not be a good idea as the cables I would need would probably not be long enough or I'd need to double up the cables, basically I'd be running the following to reach the pump:

12x 30CM PWM Fan extension cables

3x Fan Splitter Cables.

And that is just to reach the pump.

I think the best bet is to mount the CoPro's on the back panned in the center of the board. Still will need about 6 or 7 of the PWM fan extension cables regardless to reach the CoPro's. Or I can have them mounted one next to the H150i at the bottom and one close to the top of the chassis for the exhaust fans.

Does anyone know how long the USB2 header cable is that comes with the CoPro's? Its no listed in the manual.

Does anyone know how long the USB2 header cable is that comes with the CoPro's? Its no listed in the manual.

Approximately 16 inches, not including the connector head.

No problem with going with the ML-RGB series and the lower speeds, unless the client likes the sound of high RPM fans. The ML series is fairly linear in the P-Q curve so the flow rate scales predictably. You are going to get the same flow at the same speed for both types.

Running the fans to the pump might not be a good idea as the cables I would need would probably not be long enough or I'd need to double up the cables, basically I'd be running the following to reach the pump:

12x 30CM PWM Fan extension cables

3x Fan Splitter Cables.

And that is just to reach the pump.

I think the best bet is to mount the CoPro's on the back panned in the center of the board. Still will need about 6 or 7 of the PWM fan extension cables regardless to reach the CoPro's. Or I can have them mounted one next to the H150i at the bottom and one close to the top of the chassis for the exhaust fans.

Why would you need extensions for the radiator? There's really no reason that I can think that you need extensions unless you have some really convoluted routing. The hoses themselves are only so long. The connector isn't directly on the pump; it has a cable that extends out. Plus you have the cables for the fans. You will have plenty of cable. There will be some added cabling for the splitters. In fact, top mounted in my Enthoo Primo (about the same size as that 900D), I have cable to spare for the fans connected to the radiator ... running them all through the back.

One way or another, I strongly recommend that you have at least 3 of the fans directly plugged in to the pump. Otherwise you will need to have Link running to control all of the fans based on the pump temperature, which is the most appropriate control temperature. And you do get extensions with the Commander Pro ... 4, if I recall correctly but that's a little fuzzy.

As far as the length of the USB cable ... I can't measure it at the moment but I think around 60cm or so. It's enough to go completely around an ATX motherboard. You can also plug this right in to the Commander Pro. Furthermore, it's a standard micro USB connection; there's nothing special or fancy about it.

Why would you need extensions for the radiator? There's really no reason that I can think that you need extensions unless you have some really convoluted routing. The hoses themselves are only so long. The connector isn't directly on the pump; it has a cable that extends out. Plus you have the cables for the fans. You will have plenty of cable. There will be some added cabling for the splitters. In fact, top mounted in my Enthoo Primo (about the same size as that 900D), I have cable to spare for the fans connected to the radiator ... running them all through the back.

One way or another, I strongly recommend that you have at least 3 of the fans directly plugged in to the pump. Otherwise you will need to have Link running to control all of the fans based on the pump temperature, which is the most appropriate control temperature. And you do get extensions with the Commander Pro ... 4, if I recall correctly but that's a little fuzzy.

As far as the length of the USB cable ... I can't measure it at the moment but I think around 60cm or so. It's enough to go completely around an ATX motherboard. You can also plug this right in to the Commander Pro. Furthermore, it's a standard micro USB connection; there's nothing special or fancy about it.

The power cables for the fan won't be long enough. I'd need some PWM power extension cables depending on how I want to run them.

I think the best setup is with 2 Copro's.

One last question.

If I don't plug the 150i Pro into the commander or a USB2.0 header, at what speed does the pump run at?

I believe the default is "balanced" ... which is about 2150 RPM. Honestly, I haven't seen pump speed make much difference. You'd also lose RGB control though. Question: why would you forgo the USB connection? You'd have no monitoring and no control at all over the pump or the RGB.

Alright, spent a good 5 hours yesterday tearing down the PC and building it back up. And I have to say it has probably been one of the worst builds I've ever done.

Issue 1.) The plan was to front mount the H150i Pro in to the front of the Corsair 900D, all the research I've done and even contacting Corsair about the support showed that it wasn't a problem. Wrong, you can not front mount the Corsair H150i in to the front of the 900D, the tubing just isn't long enough. I find it very very unsettling that Corsair would release this product with the same restrictions as the older products have when it comes to its Flagship Chassis.

Issue 2.) The Commander Pro is not all its cracked up too be. Thinking and discussing it here I thought the CoPro would be all I would need I went ahead with the build, knowing now that you actually need the lighting node + CoPro to control the fan RGB lighting sucks. This is in turn creates a huge huge issue with cabling.

For starters to do the setup I've done requires

2 CoPro's

2 Lighting Node Pro's

5 SATA power connectors

Otherwise you can not controll the fans speed + lighting. The idea of the CoPro is awesome, the functionality of it is poor. I would have liked to see the lighting supported on the CoPro without the need of another device.

Issue 3.) Cable length is a massive issue. Especially in a case like the Corsair 900D. I really had to think out the placement of the CoPro's+Light Node's so that the cables could reach. Even then I am still going to need power extension cables for the 140MM fans as its just not going to happen. The bigger problem is the Lighting cables for each fan are proprietary for Corsair and I can not get extension cables for those.... I need to completely re-think the placement.

Will post back more in a bit.

The Commander Pro (CoPro) has the functionality of a Lighting Node Pro. Are you confusing the Lighting Node Pro (NoPro) with the RGB Fan Hub? They are different beasties. And the Fan Hub is separate primarily because of power requirements; 6 LL fans will consume most of the 5V amperage available on a single SATA connector. So a single CoPro could either duplicate the functionality NoPro (which it does) or duplicate the functionality of a single fan hub. Not both.

Yes, cable length is an issue. I've resorted to placing the fans and checking the cables and THEN placing the RGB fan hub. It would be nice to have extensions for those cables. The only thing that I've seen as a possibility is at ModDIY ... and they are expensive and very short ... 20mm, if I recall correctly. :(

The CoPro also comes with fan extensions for the PWM cables. I've used a generous number of them ... my Enthoo Primo is quite a large case as well.

My biggest issue was the fact that I purchased this based on the info that the H150i could be front mounted in 900D which it can't. I bought more fans because of what I had initially planned to do:

3x ML140 RGB ( Top Of The Chassis Exhaust )

6x ML120 RGB ( Front Mount Push/Pull )

1x ML140 RGB ( Rear Exhaust )

Now I've got:

2x ML140 RGB ( Front Intake )

6x ML120 RGB ( Top Mount Intake )

1x ML140 RGB ( Rear Exhaust )

1x ML140 RGB Useless

Can't take the extra fan back as I bought packs.

Then the software is just trash when it comes to the actual support. At first I thought I had got a dud so I swapped the RGB Fan Hub's from another pack as only 3 out of the 6 fans would light up. Of course they are all pllugged in to the same RGB Fan Hub which is plugged into the CoPro. This is how I have everything set up:

6x ML120 RGB ( CoPro 1 + RGB Fan Hub 1)

Corsair H150i Pro ( CoPro 1 )

Corsair RGB Fan Hub1 ( CoPro 1 through LED 1 )

3x ML140 RGB ( CoPro 2 + RGB Fan Hub 2 )

Corsair RGB Fan Hub2 ( CoPro 2 through LED 1 )

So for whatever reason, the 3xML140's and 3 out of the 6 ML120's wouldn't light. What I had to do to get them too work was click on the LED indicator in the software, change it to ML Fans and then manually add the 6 fans on CoPro1+RGB Fan Hub1 and do the same for the LED for the ML140's.

I also find the software to be very very convuluted in terms of layout.

I'll post back later.

So for whatever reason, the 3xML140's and 3 out of the 6 ML120's wouldn't light. What I had to do to get them too work was click on the LED indicator in the software, change it to ML Fans and then manually add the 6 fans on CoPro1+RGB Fan Hub1 and do the same for the LED for the ML140's.

This is actually by design. See #8 in the FAQ (in my signature below).

The LED strips don't "talk back", they are receive only. So Link (and the CoPro and the NoPro and anything else that they are connect to like an Arduino) have to be told what's connected. By default, when you install Link, it configures a single LED strip (10 LEDs). This will light up 2 1/2 ML fans. (4 LEDs per ML).

This is actually by design. See #8 in the FAQ (in my signature below).

The LED strips don't "talk back", they are receive only. So Link (and the CoPro and the NoPro and anything else that they are connect to like an Arduino) have to be told what's connected. By default, when you install Link, it configures a single LED strip (10 LEDs). This will light up 2 1/2 ML fans. (4 LEDs per ML).

What if I were to use the USB connection rather then the LED input on the CoPro? Would it then connect the fans and sync them all together?

The issue right now is the Fans on one RGB HUB are connectect, and then there is a seperate entry for another 3 fans on the other RGB HUB. I can't sync all fans in the system at once, I can only sync the 6 and then the 3.

Have you really got 8 fans pulling air into the case and 1 as an exhaust?

Unfortunately its the only way otherwise temps rise on the CPU.

Again, design flaw, if the tubing was a little longer I could've front mounted the H150i but they are not long enough and the only mount location in the 900D is at the top of the case.

Did a couple of tests and I am not at all please with the cooling performance either...

This has been tested on a 5930K while I await on parts for the system. The current test was done at 4.4GHz, 1.3v, LLC8:

CINEBENCH = 63c Max

Gaming = 58c Max

If I reverse the fans and use them as exhaust I get the following:

CINEBENCH = 70c Max

Gaming = 65c Max

Before, the old H series that was in the system got the following:

CINEBENCH = 58c Max

Gaming = 51c Max

In the same config it is now.

The benefit of the newer cooler is of course the DBA of the fans, although I have it currently set to performance if I try balance temps go up by 10c to 12c.

I also am using MX4 rather then the pre=applied TIM.

I see a 155i being released shortly to address the design flaws in the cooler.

It has always been my understanding that the best cooling comes from a balanced airflow through the case, e.g. cold air in through the front and warm air out through the top, but your figures seem to contadict that. Unless. When you say that you reversed the fans to exhaust, did you mean all 8 of them?

I have a 900D, with an oldish H110i GT (exhaust) cooling a 6600K oc'd to 4.3 and 3 fans on the front pulling air in, I also have a 140mm fan on the back as an exhaust. It currently idles at 25ish (ambient 19-20) and under pressure (gaming etc) never goes above 50 (cpu temp).

You want to achieve positive pressure in the system. So top fans should be exhaust as well as the rear fan. Front and if possible bottom mounted fans would be intake.

From what Corsair recommends top mounting the radiator as intake and yes this is strange and I probably understand why they recommend this.

Fro my tests I've found the following:

1.) With 2x140mm mounted in the front of the 900D as intake, 6x120MM mounted at the top of the 900D as intake push/pull. 1x140MM mounted at the rear for exhaust. I see cooler temps, still find the cooling to be poor compared to other coolers and Corsairs older line.

2.) With 2x140mm mounted in the front of the 900D as intake, 6x120MM mounted at the top of the 900D as exhaust in push/pull. 1x140MM mounted at the rear for exhaust. I see higher temps which is way worse then Corsairs older line and competitors products.

On my own personal system I run an EK Pheonix MLC with the same fans but front mounted instead of up top. I see about much lower temps on a delided 8700K. High 30s i gaming and mid 40s for cinebench.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update.

I've replaced the Corsair 900D with a Thermaltake View 71, I was able to mount the H150i in the front of the case with 6x ML120 RGB's on it in push pull. I can now also use the 4x ML140 RGB's. Current setup is as follows:

Corsair H150i Pro + 6x ML120 RGB's Push/Pull = Intake

3x ML140 RGB's Top Mount = Exhaust

1x ML140 RGB Rear = Exhaust

Corsair Link Profile = Balanced

This is currently on a 5930K as the client has not decided if he wants the Ryzen+ available in April or the 8700K.

Process is running at:

4.5GHz

1.3v

LLC 8

SVID Disabled

Idle Temp = 26c

Load Temp Gaming = 38c

Cinebench Temp = 50c

That's amazing drop off by just swapping the radiator placement and case.

Archived