Corsair Community

impossible amps reading with corsair link (ax1200i)

jterra

Hi.

I have an AX1200i. I tried to use corsair link to monitor the amps on the pcie lines and the following happened.

After the first run of 3dmark11 with the default ocp settings (active on any pcie connector and with a 30A upper bound) I looked at the logs and I found that in many occasions, and on at least 4 of the 8 pcie connectors, the amps reading are unbelievably high but still slightly below the 30A threshold, like 29.8.

So I moved the slider to 40A for each pcie connector and I tried the same test in the same conditions. And what I got was again unbelievably high amp readings but still sightly below the new threshold of 40A, like 39.3.

What's going on here? This can't be right.

Come to think of it, I've also been experiencing some soft resets in high power draw conditions (multiple gpus) which I attributed to some kind of instability of nvidia sli but that now seems more likely to be related to the psu, seeing there apparently bogus readings.

How does the corsair link presence influences the psu settings? I mean, how is the psu supposed to behave (multirail, singlerail, OCP active and with what limits) in, say, these scenarios.

1) corsair link dongle non connected

2) corsair link dongle connected, software not installed

3) corsait link dongle connected, software installed but dashboard not running

4) dongle connected, software installed, dashboard running.

Any explanation, anyone?

Thanks

John

• Corsair Employee

Come to think of it, I've also been experiencing some soft resets in high power draw conditions (multiple gpus) which I attributed to some kind of instability of nvidia sli but that now seems more likely to be related to the psu, seeing there apparently bogus readings.

The readings are just that: readings. They wouldn't attribute to the PSU behaving any differently. And the problem wouldn't be because you've hit the OCP limit because then the PSU would shut down... not reboot.

How does the corsair link presence influences the psu settings? I mean, how is the psu supposed to behave (multirail, singlerail, OCP active and with what limits) in, say, these scenarios.

1) corsair link dongle non connected

Whatever it was set to last.

2) corsair link dongle connected, software not installed

3) corsait link dongle connected, software installed but dashboard not running

4) dongle connected, software installed, dashboard running.

Whatever it is set to in Link.

See.. Link isn't what's controlling these settings. Once you make those changes, they're stored on the PSU and the PSU keeps these settings as long as the PSU remains plugged in. So you don't need to have the dongle plugged in, Link running or even Link installed.

If you do discontinue AC power to the PSU, the PSU will default. That is: All OCP on for each rail and set to 30A.

OK, good info on the behavior of the PSU. I wish there were some docs where corsair explained all these details but I could not find them. Anyways thanks you.

But what about the readings? Two OCP limits 30A and 40A, both about to be crossed with the same exact test....do you agree that that can't be right? If the first readings (slightly below 30A) are correct then the others are wrong, if the others are correct then the PSU should have shutdown the system. So something it's not working.

I've repeated this simple test three times, the logs don't (or shouldn't) lie.

Awesome PSU I've got here....

One last thing, out of curiosity what does disabling the ocp entails? Let's say I disable the ocp on all the pcie connectors and then, hypothetically, I start pulling current from only one of them. What's the limit then? Is it still something close to 40A? Or is it related to the total maximum power of the psu?

• Corsair Employee

With OCP disabled, the PSU will not shut down even if you pull upwards of 100.4A, even on a single connector.

OCP doesn't "limit" how much power can be delivered, per se. You're setting a threshold that *if* power reached the OCP limit that the PSU shuts down. That's why it doesn't make sense that your current readings change with the change of OCP. OCP isn't changing how much power can be delivered. It's only supposed to have the PSU shut down sooner rather than later.

With OCP disabled, the PSU will not shut down even if you pull upwards of 100.4A, even on a single connector.

Ah OK

OCP doesn't "limit" how much power can be delivered, per se. You're setting a threshold that *if* power reached the OCP limit that the PSU shuts down. That's why it doesn't make sense that your current readings change with the change of OCP. OCP isn't changing how much power can be delivered. It's only supposed to have the PSU shut down sooner rather than later.

Of course, that's how I (and anyone would, I think) interpret the whole ocp thing! Those readings wouldn't make any sense if everything was working properly. But evidently something ain't working....

And notice that the total draw at the wall doesn't change between the two tests with 30A and 40A limits, so actually the psu is not delivering more power just because I moved the sliders (and how stupid that would be if it actually happened....). So those ocp limits are there as a joke I guess....

OK,thanks for the infos.

And now the corsair link dongle is dead....I've tried to disconnect it, to turn off the psu switch for a while...nothing, it seems dead, the led doesn't turn on and windows says that it has failed to retrieve the device descriptor.

And I suppose I couldn't rma just the dongle.

Archived