Corsair Community

TWINX 2GB not working on ASUS PU-DL

tqhoang

I built two Windows Server systems with ASUS PU-DL rev1.03 motherboards a few years ago and used Corsair TWINX 1GB (2 x CMX512RE-3200LLPT v1.1). Everything worked great until we started growing our small company and have twice as many users. So about a year ago my VP / IT manager wanted to upgrade the memory in one and purchased a similar Corsair TWINX 2GB (2x CMX1024RE-3200 v3.2). The system does not boot up with the new memory and just beeps (long single beep) but since he is an extremely busy guy he just gave up.

Now I've been tasked to get this machine converted to a Linux server and I'm trying to get this memory installed. I upgraded the BIOS to the latest 1009 but the system still does not POST. I even removed the working v1.1 sticks and it still beeps. Tis a shame because this is basically 2GB of brand new registered memory that should work with the motherboard...it supports up to six 2GB sticks of memory.

Can I RMA the newer v3.2 sticks for older v1.1 sticks that work with the system? We'd even be amicable to exchanging the TWINX 2GB v3.2 for something like two sets of TWINX 1GB v1.1.

On a broader scale, aside from going with another vendor (since I prefer Corsair memory) how can we ever upgrade the memory in the future without running into the same problem again? Shouldn't the memory be backwards compatible?

• Corsair Employee
First thing, I am sorry but you cannot mix memory with most MB's and XMS3200LL RE and XMS3200 RE are two different modules, I would try the system with just the new modules installed and use the CLRTC jumper to reset the bios with the batter and power removed and then see if the system will post!

Hi RAM GUY,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I just removed the two original Low Latency (LL) RAM sticks and discharged the CMOS. With only the newer XMS3200 RE sticks, the system does not post and it still only has the long beep, pause, long beep, etc. Basically it's like there wasn't any RAM in the system at all.

I also tried each module by itself to see if one was causing the problem (in DIMM slot 5 according to the manual & also in the other DIMM slots)...No luck. I believe whatever the issue is, that it's inherent to both sticks of RAM. Could it be that the larger DIMM's require more voltage or the SPD is incorrect for some reason?

We just want to get the 2GB working one way or another. We would have no problems moving the original LL RAM to the other PU-DL system that has the identical match. Can you authorize an RMA? Any pairing of modules (i.e. TWINX) with the same specifications would even be fine.

- Comparable two sticks of 1GB Registered PC3200

- Comparable four sticks of 512MB Registered PC3200

- Probably not 8 sticks of 256MB Registered PC3200 since we only have 6 DIMM slots

Thanks for supporting your products.

• Corsair Employee
The problem is I think this MB only supports PC-2100 memory and the modules you are trying to use only have SPD information for DDR400 and DDR333, I would suggest sending them back to the reseller and see if they have CM72SD1024RLP-2100

The problem is I think this MB only supports PC-2100 memory and the modules you are trying to use only have SPD information for DDR400 and DDR333, I would suggest sending them back to the reseller and see if they have CM72SD1024RLP-2100

That is not true. The TWINX1024-3200LLPT v1.1 works flawlessly and the BIOS detects the SPD correctly. If they originally did not work, then we would not have purchased the additional TWINX2048-3200 modules.

But aside from the latency differences, it still begs the question of why the same speed PC3200 Registered DDR RAM is not working. Even if we tried to purchase the same PC3200 Registered Low Latency, it probably would not work either because Corsair has changed the SPD so that it's not backwards compatible... :confused:

Is there nothing Corsair will do about this? :sigh!:

• Corsair Employee
OK Well we make the modules and I know what is in the SPD, XMS3200LL may work because the SPD is set differently with no speed specified. XMS3200 RE is using a different SPD and this is the most likely cause.

OK Well we make the modules and I know what is in the SPD, XMS3200LL may work because the SPD is set differently with no speed specified. XMS3200 RE is using a different SPD and this is the most likely cause.

Ah ok, that might be it right there. Does the SPD not have enough room for PC2100 in addition to the PC2700 and PC3200? Just wondering why you guys removed the PC2100 settings.

So is there anything Corsair can do for us? I know it's not practical to think that you would RMA them for the LL models since they are more expensive...but perhaps exchange the modules for a working set of Registered PC2100 (or PC2700 if they have an SPD setting for PC2100)? :idea:

Archived