Corsair Community

A8V Deluxe Memory Settings 3200LL XMS

kmuel

I have 4 sticks of 256M RAM and want to ppopulate all 4 dimms slots. I have it running with dual memory. When I put the other 2 sticks in, I get no boot.

All modules are identical.

I have tested all the memory.

ASUS tech support says that I need to set the memory timings manually to get all 4 running. There may be errors setting the BIOS to "auto"

I don't know what settings to change. There are about 8 different memory settings. I know my memory should be set at 2,3,2,6. What about the other BIOS memory settings.

Can you help me configure this BIOS?

• Corsair Employee

If the system will post with all four installed, please go to bios setup and load setup defaults and then set the following settings.

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.0

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Enabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable!

This is a "no go".

I booted into the BIOS and changed these settings. Then installed the other two memory modules. The result was no boot.

Any ideas. I bought this board with the idea that I would be able to populate all 4 slots with matching Corsair memory.

Thanks

I tried this and then even with two sticks that had been running, the computer wouldn't boot.

The computer is now running with the orig. 2 sticks of memory.

Here's how I feel after purchasing this expensive Corsair memory:

This seems to be a major problem with this baord. The advertise that you can populate all 4 slots with identical ram.

Called Asus - They said call Corsair, even though there are numerous reports of problems when populatins all four dimm slots

Called Corsair - They don't have much tech support for this particular board.

Here are my current setting - works with 2 sticks dual channel.

Ready to try the other 2 sticks - any suggestions?

Changes - SET BURST LENGTH TO 4 from 8

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.0

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 2

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Auto

Well Corsair doesen't have any phone support or e-mail contacts that I could find on their customer support link.

I did find that one of my modules has a different version. 3 are 1.1 and 1 is 2.1. I'm acting on the belief right now that this is the problem. That even the exact same modules might have different versions? I had no idea this would be an issue. I've used mixed versions in my previous three Asus boards. This is my first A8V.

It's tough when you buy a module online to know what you're getting in terms of it's version. I still think that with just the right settings, these modules could work. I've also discovered that running memory in four banks is a tricky task.

Anyway, I'll try to RMA the memnory and start over again.

A finicky board indeed.

They have both phone #s and email addresses.

http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/corsair/warranty.html

The link SHOULD be http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/warranty.html

but I think they're updating the site or something atm, either that or someone messed up lol.

Just in case the links don't work when you read this:

warranty@corsairmemory.com

rma@corsairmemory.com

ramguy@corsairmemory.com

1-888-222-4346

There's a customer service email address I think, can't remember it offhand.

Did you try PC2700 settings or PC333 ? AMD VIA based boards are very itchie regarding the amount of ram. If this doesn't work it's better to try to get 2x512 sticks, I still don't see the point of populating the 4 banks , I read it many times even on Intel mobo's that the risk of error is way higher than with 2 sticks. You like to live dangerously Kmuel ?

Also look at http://www.abxzone.com and look into the AMD64 VIA based section , try to grab hold of lady Sierra she's the A8V high tech guru there

Thanks leeghoofd for the info.

Basically I'm cheap. I had 3 256 M sticks of good Corsair ram which I took out of my last build. Since I was selling that rig, I replaced the Corsair with some 2700 Samsung.

Anyway, I thought that if I bought 1 more stick, I could get 1G of ram running in my A8V. So, I bought a stick for 85.00. Now I have like 300.00 invested in this RAM. It's good RAM, but I can't seem to use all of it. I did not read about these issues before making my purchase

The two sticks currently in the machine are running at 220 = 2415. I know they will go further, but hey, I'm not greedy.

I did set the BIOS to AUTO everything except the memory settings when I tried all 4 sticks. Isn't this the normal system speed? (333)

Are you suggesting that I "underclock" the rig?

If so, this begs the question of; is it better to get a good overclock with 500M of Ram or underclock and get 1G.

Archived