Corsair Community

CoolerMaster Trooper SE and AF140

Uxot

So..i changed the rear fan of my Trooper SE today for an:

"Corsair Air Series AF140 140mm Red LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan"

Plugged in at the same place it was plugged...now its just blinking,flashing constantly..if i put the case full speed it goes away..but yeah now PC is all loud..what the hell is this Fan problem?

I don't get it.. because of lower RPM's the LED's would blink..wut ?!?!

Theoretically you should be able to. I assume it is a standard 5/7/12v 3 speed controller. Nevertheless, something seems to be off. I am not intimately familiar with your case, so if there is something different about the fan controller or its wiring, that would be a the key factor. You could determine if the fan works by temporarily plugging it into the motherboard.

Front fan controller? Are you running a splitter off the front control box for the rear fan?

**A quick search for your case suggests the LED fan control for the Trooper is a unique CM wiring with separate lines for LED and power for turning the original stock fans on/off. If you don't have a normal 3 pin DC connector for the AF140 LED, it may not work as expected. What kind of connector is on the case end?

It should work on the 3 pin. The product page for the Troopersuggests it is a”6 speed” fan controller. It’s possible the lowest two speeds don’t provide enough voltage to start. If you bump it to speed 3, is that enough? Or does it really need to be at max?

Unfortunately, I think this is now too case/wiring specific for me. If you plug the fan into a motherboard header and it works normally (LED will be bright at 12v/full speed and dim as voltage is reduced), then the fan is OK. Past that, this seems like an idiosyncrasy with the case and its fan controller. Aside from someone else who own a Trooper stumbling across this, CM may be the best place to ask. I am wondering if the "3 pin" on the case controller end is really 3 pin.

The blinking would seem to indicate that they are turning the power on and off quickly rather than directly reducing the voltage. In short, using PWM to simulate voltage regulation. This is actually pretty common on some devices and you'd need a DAC to convert to actual analog voltage control.

Archived