Corsair Community

Corsair AX1200

Turtleguy129

Is it normal for this PSU to make noise (a subtle high pitch sound... though I can't really hear it unless I'm next to the PC) even though the PC is powered down? Also when I power the PC on, a loud shock can be heard from the PSU, is this also normal? My HX1000 didn't make any of these sounds so this is very annoying and worrisome.

I *just* got an AX1200 from Newegg today - replacing my Seasonic X-Series 750W in preparation for another GTX470 coming.

After windows loads the PSU starts making a really nasty high pitched whine and it doesn't stop....

Should I just return it to newegg using their replacement policy or should I go through Corsair?

Also - something to note. When using the AX1200 with the Corsair 800D - the 8pin CPU power connector isn't long enough to reach the plug!!!! My Seasonic came with an extension cable - for $120 more why wouldn't the AX1200 have the same type of cable? How are other people getting that cable connected w/o using an extension?

Matt

btw - here is a youtube link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO2dvMqqF2k

Request an RMA

This is not normal, lets get your unit replaced!

CALL CORSAIR!!! I recommend you just RMA from the place you bought it (If Newegg, they are very helpful. They next day air'd out two replacement units so far at their own cost for me). I am having the same exact problem, but I was told I have to wait until September 16th because they are completely out of Corsair 1200AX PSU's. I called as of 8/20/2010 around 1:00 P.M.

Don't RMA and expect to have another PSU in a few days.

Edit: @ Matt, try installing the CPU 8 Pin first, then installing it into the PSU. I was able to connect both 8 Pin connectors in my Corsair 800D.

Reading the reviews at Newegg it appears that a lot of people are having this problem with PSU's.

Corsair -did you run into a bad batch? I am used to an electronically silent PSU - with only fan noise when needed.... I really want to keep this PSU - but not if it makes noise...

Matt

I just got my system put together tonight. While installing Windows it sounded like an old Maxtor hard drive or something. Whenever I do anything graphics intensive it sounds absolutely horrible. Drowns my speakers with whine and screeching.

I also had some issues with the 8 pin CPU connector in the 800D. It fits, but it's certainly stretched... right across the CPU backplate access panel. So much for that feature.

I'll probably shoot Corsair an RMA tomorrow, too tired to deal with it now.

• Corsair Employee
I *just* got an AX1200 from Newegg today - replacing my Seasonic X-Series 750W in preparation for another GTX470 coming.

After windows loads the PSU starts making a really nasty high pitched whine and it doesn't stop....

Should I just return it to newegg using their replacement policy or should I go through Corsair?

Also - something to note. When using the AX1200 with the Corsair 800D - the 8pin CPU power connector isn't long enough to reach the plug!!!! My Seasonic came with an extension cable - for $120 more why wouldn't the AX1200 have the same type of cable? How are other people getting that cable connected w/o using an extension?

Matt

btw - here is a youtube link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO2dvMqqF2k

Anyone who believes that their PSU is too noisy should first review this thread and try some of the fixes outlined there. If the noise doesn't go away then we can replace the unit for you, or you can have it replaced through your reseller, its up to you. Request an RMA

The cable should not need an extension, but just in case, there is an extension provided with the 800D case which should give you plenty of slack.

I returned mine twice to OCUK. The noise form this psu is pants and it was picked up in a recent PSU shootout by a UK magazine (CustomPC's) who are also the website Bit-tech.

"the fan emitted a combination of low, medium and high frequencies even at low load levels making it very annoying"

I thought I had a duffer and returned mine only to receive another. It sounds like I have one of those annoying Corsair ariflow coolers installed and this is when just idling. I'm running a 980X at 4.2, 12gig Dominator 2000mhz gt, a pair of 5970 4gig Sapphires in quadfire (each consumes slightly more then a gtx 480), 2 velociraptors, 2 wd caviar blacks, and 2 ssd's. Not happy, especially as my HX1000 was silent in comparison and the fan only span up when gaming. Due to Sapphire recommending a 1200w psu for the cards I'm running, I'm now going to have to look at other brands of PSY now as the fan on the AX1200 is rubbish. So dissapointed, especially after preordering the thing months ago.

Just back from mates house and he has same issue. The fan sounds like a couple of high pitched 60mm fans. And try and do something intensive and the thing kicks into overdrive It is truly awful. I'm very dissapointed with Corsair for putting such a rubbish fan into this PSU. :mad: One last thing, as recommended by tech support if you turn on v-sync this stops the fan from going into overdrive but it's not a fix if you ask me. Tech support also say some graphics drivers can contribute to this. This is a new one on me.

Just got the AX 1200 here and my pc has never run better. Super quiet. I had a OCZ 750 PSU and it died after 1.5 years. Thats why I bought this PSU after reading about Maximum PC using it in there Dream Machine. So far the Corsairs AX 1200 is the best PSU Ive seen so far. I don't have the noise issue. I use Windows XP 64 bit pro. I don't know why some are getting that sound Ive been

whisper quiet so far. Infact my pc has never been more quiet.

Noise is subjective.

Run the Heaven Benchmark and leave vsync off. Wait for the buzzing noise as fan PSU's fan ramps up. Run again with vsync off, and it's fine. It's still louder then the HX1000 though and unacceptable.

Hi Ram Guy,

While I appreciate what you are saying - the reality is that my old Seasonic was absolutely quiet with the exact same system. Putting in your new PSU causes a very loud and noticeable noise that simply is not acceptable. I would love to have this PSU - but until it Corsair acknowledges and fixes the problem I will stick with my Seasonic. Clearly (if you read this thread and newegg comments) there is something wrong with either a batch - or the design of the PSU.

matt

I also have a AX1200 that has whining noise during 3D mode. I bought it from Newegg got a new one today and now the fan makes more noise and it still has the whining noise. I have tried fixes in the sticky and no luck and also plugging into the wall and still no luck. I thought it might have been my UPS unit. Never had a problem like this before with any PSU.:[pouts: They are going to RMA another unit out to me. Maybe I will get a good working PSU this time.:laughing:

My new AX1200 was delivered yesterday and so far no coil whine in 3d, though it does have a slight buzzing (almost like a chirping) in normal use but am prepared to put up with that. My last 2 AX1200's sounded like a tin of angry wasps.

I get the coil whine when I run the WEI in Windows7 when it runs the 3D tests. I would like to know if anyone else is getting the same coil whine when they run the test. This test can only be run in Win7 or Vista. Please post them here if you have it or not. Thanks.

Well I've got my new AX1200 and it has the coil whine. It isn't bad and it's almost inaudible so I can live with it. The question is can it cause issues down the line?

I've tried the steps above.

I'm slightly disappointed that one of the suggestions is to turn off power saving options, it should just work without whine whatever the setting!

I am with you. Will it cause problems later? I think there is a problem here because I have never heard a PSU make noises like this. We do know that when it is drawing more power is when this is happening. The question is there a faulty component in the PSU.

I received mine, installed it, switched it on. The first thing i noticed, is a high pitch noise. I didn't expect this from a corsair unit, however i am surprised to see that i am not the first person with this issue. I am not going to test the various suggestions, as this psu is brand new and just came out of the box. I'm going to send it right back to the store, however I'm quite disappointed, as i was really looking forward to this unit, plus it looks nice inside my 800D build.

I've given up now. My latest AX1200 which I though was ok has started to whine as of today. This is a joke. I know Corsair offer good customer service and will replace it but not willing to chance another one unless they can guarantee it doesn't whine. Time for another brand. Corsair are aware of the issue too. Look at post #93.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1541856&page=5

I've given up now. My latest AX1200 which I though was ok has started to whine as of today. This is a joke. I know Corsair offer good customer service and will replace it but not willing to chance another one unless they can guarantee it doesn't whine. Time for another brand. Corsair are aware of the issue too. Look at post #93.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1541856&page=5

Next time please just quote directly. It makes it easier for people to read the thread.

I want to mention that we have identified what is causing the coil whine issue and it only affects a very small number of shipped AX1200s. The vast majority should not have any issue whatsoever, and even the units that might experience the issue will only experience it in a certain situation.

That being said, we're fixing it on our side and anybody who has an AX1200 and has coil whine can contact me at redbeard@corsair.com and I'll get you a new unit. I'll make sure you don't have to be without a PSU during this time, as well, by providing advanced replacement.

Hi,

My AX1200 unfortunately has the coil noise issue too. When the system is off, the unit emits a faint buzzing noise. When it's on though, a much louder coil noise can be heard distinctly, even over the 2 MCP355. It's a shame because other than that, it seems to be working perfectly.

I have always been extremely satistifed with Corsair products (especially the 800D and HX850), it's the first time one of their products failed me. But the following is *very* reassuring:

Originally Posted by Redbeard

I want to mention that we have identified what is causing the coil whine issue and it only affects a very small number of shipped AX1200s. The vast majority should not have any issue whatsoever, and even the units that might experience the issue will only experience it in a certain situation.

That being said, we're fixing it on our side and anybody who has an AX1200 and has coil whine can contact me at redbeard@corsair.com and I'll get you a new unit. I'll make sure you don't have to be without a PSU during this time, as well, by providing advanced replacement.

The issue is being taken seriously by Corsair, and this is very much appreciated. I will send an e-mail to Redbeard, then.

Thanks for the support provided on this forum, that's exemplary service.

Built a comp to my friend.

Friend of mine got the AX1200 about a 1-2 weeks ago, got the comp up and running, didn't notice anything until started a 3D app. The Buzzing noise and the "siren" noise without vsync...

Tested the PSU unit in an other computer, Specs: Abit ip35, Intel P4, 8800GT, ddr2 800 4G. There was a very low buzzing, almost couldn't hear it. (This comp doesn't need a lot of power.)

Returned the PSU to the store, and they tested it and said that the PSU works fine...

It's funny because, it's not working properly under heavier load.

The comp specs where the PSU emitted noise: EVGA x58 SLi Classified 3-way (760), Intel i7 930, Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D, EVGA 480GTX.

Hope this weird thing (buzzing) gets solved.

• 1 year later...
This is my second unit because of the high pitche dnoise & the second usit is exactly the same as the first, i.e. a totally annoying PoS that I will not use.

Taking it back to the shop tomorrow.

Anyone that enjoys a quiet PC, DO NOT BUY IT!

Just because you had this problem it doesn't mean every single unit is faulty. It may be a bad batch, but still why you you tell people not to buy it when you are only experiencing this problem?

Archived