Corsair Community

VX450W whine/cricket noise

turbo4d

I just installed a VX450W last night and have a high-pitched whine noise that is really annoying. I see that I am not the only one with the same problem and was wondering if it is a known fan problem, or another issue. My question is if this issue could cause problems if I keep running the pc while waiting to get a replacement.

Thanks

If you have the psu plugged into a UPS, disconnect it and connect it directly to a wall socket. Now use something non-conductive to stop the fan, and if the noise persists it could be coil while. What you can do now is switch off the psu disconnect it from everything except a single HDD or CD/DVD drive. Use a paper clip to join the green wire and a black wire nearby, switch it on, and see if the noise is audible.

http://www.motherboards.org/images/articles/guides/jumper_wire.jpg

If the noise persists then it's possible that the power in your area could be dirty which can cause things to buzz/whine when they normally wouldn't. Other devices in your house can cause things to buzz/whine. A quality UPS w/ AVR (CyberPower and APC come to mind) should take care of any dirty power issues. If that is not an option you should consider testing the psu in a different home/business, return it to the place of purchase for an exchange, or simply RMA it to Corsair.

I tried plugging it directly into the wall outlet, no help there. I've got dell sending me out another one, if that one doesn't work i'll send it out to corsair. Is there any concern that I could damage anything with the power supply, or is it just a noise issue.

thanks

• Corsair Employee
There is probably nothing wrong with the actual operation of the PSU, and it would be unlikely that it could damage any components in the system, however the PSU should not be making any of the noises that you describe and it should be replaced. Please let us know how the replacement works out!

• 1 month later...
There is probably nothing wrong with the actual operation of the PSU, and it would be unlikely that it could damage any components in the system, however the PSU should not be making any of the noises that you describe and it should be replaced. Please let us know how the replacement works out!

Hello!

I bought the Corsair vx450w yesterday. The Corsair vx450w makes a rustle noise distinguishable from its fan noise from 7,87 in = 20

cm distance. It looks like a vibration of wires causes strokes between wires and makes the rustle noise. The rustle noise increases

when disk drives begin to work. I bought the Corsair vx450w because http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html gave it the

highest rating on noise. The seller does not want to replace the Corsair vx450w because thinks that the rustle noise is too low. How

to replace the Corsair vx450w to prevent the rustle noise?

Best regards,

Dima

We will replace the unit for you. Please PM me the name of the reseller and explain why they refuse to exchange the unit. Sorry you had the issue.

To return your CPU, use TSX Express.

The seller is ООО "ВЭБ-Трейдинг"-Мега24 Интернет Супермаркет http://www.mega24.ru. The seller thinks that the rustling, buzzing noise is too low. Yes, It is too low for an average PSU costing 15$ the seller sells, but too high for a PSU which http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html gave the highest rating on noise to.

We will replace the unit for you. Please PM me the name of the reseller and explain why they refuse to exchange the unit. Sorry you had the issue.

Since the shipping to Russia will take much time, and I cannot stay without the computer for long, please, send the trig PSU first.

The wholeseller (selling to the WEB-Trading Ltd.) is Sunrise http://www.sunrise.ru . The Sunrise service center says that they do not hear the low cricket sound from electronic PSU components, think that the PSU is normal and refuse to exchange the PSU.

The rmaservice@corsairmemory.com does not reply.

The wholeseller (selling to the WEB-Trading Ltd.) is Sunrise http://www.sunrise.ru . The Sunrise service center says that they do not hear the low cricket sound from electronic PSU components, think that the PSU is normal and refuse to exchange the PSU.

The rmaservice@corsairmemory.com does not reply.

With that in mind you could have dirty power in your home. You may want to consider a quality UPS w/ AVR.

With that in mind you could have dirty power in your home. You may want to consider a quality UPS w/ AVR.

I do not have a dirty power in my home. Other PSUs did not make the cricket noise. The Sunrise service center lies that they do not hear the low cricket noise from electronic PSU components. I can hear the low cricket noise in their test computer.

Why does the cricket noise increase when drives start to spin or seek if the dirty power creates the noise? How can the dirt of the power increase synchronously with the drives seeks?

• Corsair Employee

The clicking/buzzing noise is not normal to the unit. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

The clicking/buzzing noise is not normal to the unit. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.

Thanks for replying!

FSP PSUs (connected to the same power outlet) did not make the noises.

I used the http://www.corsair.com/warranty/rma_form.aspx a week ago.

I'm waiting for a reply from the RMA service to my question: When will the RMA service send the PSU to my address?

The forum bans all @bk.ru addresses including my best address at @bk.ru making the forum usage difficult to me.

You would need to send us the PSU first, and once we receive it, a replacement will be sent out to you. If you have any questions regarding the RMA process, please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com.

On 02-11-2008 I wrote: "Since the shipping to Russia will take much time, and I cannot stay without the computer for long, please, send the trig PSU first."

The shipment of the noisy PSU to US will take a month and your shipment of a good PSU from US to Russia will take a month too. I cann't stay with an unworking computer for two months! Please, send the good PSU first, I will replace the noisy with the good PSU and then send it to you. Corsair wrote that could send the PSU first!

• Corsair Employee
On 02-11-2008 I wrote: "Since the shipping to Russia will take much time, and I cannot stay without the computer for long, please, send the trig PSU first."

The shipment of the noisy PSU to US will take a month and your shipment of a good PSU from US to Russia will take a month too. I cann't stay with an unworking computer for two months! Please, send the good PSU first, I will replace the noisy with the good PSU and then send it to you. Corsair wrote that could send the PSU first!

You will need to contact our RMA department to see if this is an option for you. We have never posted on the forum indicating that we can send a unit out, before we receive it.

Archived