Corsair Community

Brand New Corsair RM1000i Buzzing/Coil Whine :(

bryanmania

Hi after almost a month of waiting for new stocks of RM1000i to arrive here in the Philippines i got my unit just this morning.

First boot in the desktop doing nothing (idle) and there is a continous faint coil whine/buzzing that i can hear. But when i run Unigine Valley or Unigine Heaven or any 3d Game, the coil whine gets louder and it is very irritating, i am pretty sure that it is not coming from my 2 GTX 980Ti video card, as even when i run Prime95 the coil whine gets loud too coming from an idle state. The loud coil whine under CPU/GPU stress is with the PSU fan still not turned on, when the fan of the PSU turns on, the loud coil whine is still present.

Corsair please help. i had just replaced my COrsair 620HX after almost 8 years of usage and i never had any problems or coil whine with that unit. i replaced the power supply because i had just upgraded to 2 (SLi) GTX 980ti, so honestly im a bit disappointed :(

***UPDATE 1 (March 20 2016, 2nd day of my Corsair RM1000i): I think it is getting worse, even with the PC Turned off the loud buzzing/coil whine can be heard and it is pretty loud. i have uploaded 2 videos at the bottom of this post. Same loud buzzing/coil whine when PC is OFF as when it is under full load, really really irritating :(

***UPDATE 2: (March 21, 2016) 3rd Day of the RM1000i): PSU Going back to the local shop where i bought (400 kilometers away,expensive shipping), i hope i get a replacement. really disappointed with the PSU that i got.

20160321_142356%20%281%29%20%28Copy%29.jpg?raw=1

***UPDATE 3: (March 29, 2016): i Have recieved the REPLACEMENT Brandnew/Sealed Corsair RM1000i from the local reseller. The unit that i got has the same lot number as my first unit. SAD to say it still has coil whine/buzzing even under IDLE, i think this has worse coil whine/buzzing than my first unit :(

99%20%28Copy%29.jpg?raw=1

New Problem for the Replacement RM1000i: I tried to force the fan to 100% fan speed via the Corsair Link software and i think the fan is faulty video below:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

***UPDATE 4: (March 30, 2016): Video showing worse coil whine/buzzing than the first unit it replaced :( really frustrating :(

[ame=

]
[/ame]

***UPDATE 5: (April 16, 2016): Brand new/Sealed Replacement unit from Corsair Hong Kong Recieved, Installing it now and will give my assesment later this evening (Thank you Greybeard of Corsair for assisting me in the RMA process)

Corsair%20RM1000i%20replacement%20FINAL.jpg?raw=1

***UPDATE 6: (April 17, 2016)

and... even with the 3rd Replacement PSU with a newer lot code, THERE is still the dreaded Buzzing/Coil Whine even when the PC is off. Here is the Video:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

i have tried in 3 different outlets/locations inside the house, still the same problem

here are my pc specs:

Processor: i7-4770k

motherboard: MSI z87-GD65

ram: G.Skill 2x8gb

Videocard: 2 pieces Nvidia GTX 980Ti

2 hardisk and 1 ssd

pics:

20160319_180234%20%28Copy%29.jpg?raw=1

20160319_163539%20%28Copy%29.jpg?raw=1

20160319_144101%20%28Copy%29.jpg?raw=1

20160319_144405%20%28Copy%29.jpg?raw=1

Video 1: PC Turned OFF, Loud Buzzing/Coil Whine:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Video 2: Bencharking mode. Unigine Heaven + Prime95, Loud buzzing/coil whine:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

***UPDATE 1 (March 20 2016, second day of my Corsair RM1000i): I think it is getting worse, even with the PC Turned off the loud buzzing/coil whine can be heard and it is pretty loud. i have uploaded 2 videos at the bottom of this post. Same loud buzzing/coil whine when PC is OFF as when it is under full load, really really irritating :(

technobeard i have submitted a ticket, reading the terms of the support ticket it is mentioned that i will be the one to shoulder the shipping fee going to taiwan so i think im going to pass on this one as it will be very expensive to do that. sad :( cant you coordinate with the local distributor of corsair here in the philippines? thank you

Thank you sir Greybeard :) i hope i get a 100 percent okay rm1000i this time.

The psu will arrive at the local PC shop today and they will inspect/asses the coil whine/buzzing im complaining. ETA of the PSU back to me is 7 to 12 days. So no PC for me during that period, sucks bigtime :(

***UPDATE 3: (March 29, 2016): i Have recieved the REPLACEMENT Brandnew/Sealed Corsair RM1000i from the local reseller. The unit that i got has the same lot number as my first unit. SAD to say it still has coil whine/buzzing even under IDLE, i think this has worse coil whine/buzzing than my first unit :(

99%20%28Copy%29.jpg?raw=1

New Problem for the Replacement RM1000i: I tried to force the fan to 100% fan speed via the Corsair Link software and i think the fan is faulty video below:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Guys from Corsair, Technobeard, Greybeard i need your help guys

• 2 weeks later...

***UPDATE 16: (April 17, 2016)

and... even with the 3rd Replacement PSU with a newer lot code, THERE is still the dreaded Buzzing/Coil Whine even when the PC is off. Here is the Video:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

i have tried in 3 different outlets/locations inside the house, still the same problem

Archived