Corsair Community

BitFenix USB3 Adapter + 650D not working

sZimm

Hello, I recently built a new system using a Corsair 650D case, and I am quite happy with it - a definite upgrade over my last one. One thing that annoyed me though, were the internal USB3 connectors for the front panel. They are just normal USB male plugs. My MB has an internal 20-pin connector, so I purchased a Bitfenix USB3 Adapter - I could post a picture of it, but it is basically just a 20-pin internal USB3 plug in one end, splitting into two female USB3 plugs in the other end, with a few inches of cable in between.

I assumed this would work with the 650D's connectors, but it doesn't... When attaching a USB thumbdrive on the front panel, for example, the LED on the drive lights up, but Windows cannot see the drive.

I updated all relevant drivers and the BIOS is also new, so I don't think that is the problem. Also, if I open the case, and connect the thumbdrive directly to one of the USB3 plugs on the adapter, the drive shows up fine. This is leading me to believe that the problem lies with the front panel itself.

Does anyone here have similar experiences? Did you ever get it to work? I know I can probably RMA Corsair for a new front panel, but I doubt it would help and don't know if front USB3 is that important to me...

I just don't see any reason why this wouldn't work?

Thanks for the reply, peanutz, I do realize I can submit an RMA just for the IO panel, but before going through the hassle of creating an RMA, disassembling my system and shipping the IO panel back to Corsair, I would like to know if there is any chance at all it will even fix the issue. I've found lots of people saying that kind of adapter can be used in theory, but noone who have actually done it. Since the 650D was designed before the 20pin USB3 MB headers became common, maybe there is something about that panel that simply makes it incompatible?

I'd like to hear if anyone here is running a 650D with a USB3 adapter to the MB without problems?

Ive got a 650D case and i'm also using an internal USB3 adapter to connect to the motherboard header, mine works fine but i'm using a different make to the one you have, the one i'm using is made by Akasa

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LDY0SO/ref=asc_df_B005LDY0SO9698043?smid=A11V6WRCCP617O&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B005LDY0SO

Ive had no problem connecting things like my iphone to the USB3 ports on the front as well as a Corsair Flash Voyager drive.

The version of my 650D case is: CC650DW-1

I'm using a Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard with the latest bios.

Sounds like you have a dodgy USB3 cable/port or a problem with the I/O panel itself.

Do the USB 2 ports work on the front, have you tested it in those ? Is it both USB3 ports on the front that give you a problem ?

I'm using one from Lancool that came with my previous case and it works fine.

Since the 650D was designed before the 20pin USB3 MB headers became common, maybe there is something about that panel that simply makes it incompatible?

It has nothing to do with becoming common. Pin outs are industry standard and have not changed since they first became available. So any 20 pin to USB3 adapter should work just as good as the next.

Thanks a lot for the replies, that really helps, but I would still like to hear from anyone who has that exact combination of adapter and case. Of course it is also possible that something is going awry between the case and the MB, and that the brand and model of adapter is not causing any issues at all.

@Joshua Tree:

All USB2 ports on front and back work fine. Both USB3 ports on the back work fine. Both USB3 ports on the front have the same problem - the light on the drive goes on, but windows does not recognize the drive. This made me think it was a software problem, but I have installed all relevant chipset and USB3 controller drivers, my BIOS is updated and the controller is enabled (the board has two, one for front, one for back). To verify that board, adapter, and drive work as intended, I plugged it directly to the adapter inside the case, and it showed up in windows just fine. When I get home from work today, I will try a few more configurations for testing, such as routing the IO panels USB3 connectors to the back of the MB, and plugging the drive in the back ones (currently only tested those with other types of hardware).

@peanutz:

Exactly, that was my line of thinking too, but after having pretty much narrowed it down to the IO panel, I'm just wondering if replacing it will actually help the problem or not. Later today I will connect it to the back ports as originally intended and see if that works - if it doesn't, then I would say the IO panel is defective - if not, then it's certainly a head-scratcher, and I might try a different adapter... They are pretty cheap after all.

@Joshua Tree:

After posting my earlier reply, I clicked the link you provided, and that is my exact adapter! Down to the shape of plugs, length of cable, colours, and print on the cables! Only difference is, mine came in a small box branded with BitFenix, but nonetheless, that is the exact one I have... This basically means, that my setup SHOULD definitely work, and there would be no point in trying a different adapter after all...

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/internal-usb3-adapter/

So, came home from work, got my computer open, and started messing around with the USB3 connectors again. First I tried connecting one header to the back of the MB, that worked, then I verified that the adapter worked again by plugging directly into it. On some spur of the moment idea, I rebooted, went to BIOS and disabled, then re-enabled the front USB3 controller. Then I connected the adapter to the front panel headers again, and voila, it suddenly worked. Happy about this, of course, but completely puzzled as to why. My only guess would be that disabling and then enabling the controller again somehow made it work - nothing else in the setup had changed since yesterday. Anyway, just wanted to add this conclusion in case anyone stumbles over this thread in the future.

Archived