Corsair Community

Upgrading SSD: Need advice

Aye

I have a Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB that's starting to run out of space (about 30% left). I use my computer primarily for gaming and with 50GB installs seemingly the norm these days, I'm punching myself in the face for not buying a bigger SSD.

I'd like to upgrade to a 480GB Neutron. Now, I understand there's a disk cloning kit I can buy from Corsair, the one that comes with the cable. But I'm a little skeptical. Is it really that easy? Plug the cables, run the software, shutdown and swap drives? Will Windows boot up exactly the way it did before except with twice the amount of disk space? Same performance, disk write/speeds? Any Windows activation issues or software licensing problems? Do I have to fiddle with the BIOS? Like I said, I'm real skeptical. How will this software handle partial writes for example. Anyways, I feel like if I clone my drive to a bigger one, it's going to end up being a fragmented, damaged mess.

I was planning on starting from scratch with the new drive and reinstalling Windows but if this $24.99 kit can accomplish that with no downsides, I'll buy one right now.

the Corsair SSD Toolbox will clone the drive and allow the extra space, no adapter needed.

This doesn't answer any of my questions. And the SSD Toolbox requires me to install two drives in my computer, which I can't do.

The disk cloning kit IS that easy. It's a USB to SSD cable that works with the software. You connect the new drive and the old drive. Select SOURCE and DESTINATION and clone away. You can also opt to not copy certain files to make the clone faster or the new image smaller, set 4k alignment, run verification, etc. It's slick and VERY simple.

Archived