Corsair Community

AX1600i cable sets

Hopper64

Confused as to which cable sets are compatible with this AX1600i PSU. Are both type 3 and type 4 cable sets compatible here? The list on the website is confusing and does not mention specific units. There are a few threads which mention the RMi series of PSUs is compatible with type 4 cables like the 1600i. Anything more specific? Thanks.

As far as I can tell, which is pretty far, type 3 and type 4 only differ by the addition of a capacitor between 2 wires (ground and +12v) on the load end of the type 4 cables. Which really sucks because that end needs to easily bend but it doesn't because it has multiple layers military grade heat shrink right at the plug. Pretty ridiculous, not user friendly design. So...

I built 8x PCI-E 8-pin cables myself (crimping pins on 18 gauge wire and sourcing the plug housings) using the pinout found on both type 3 and 4 cables, which amazingly were not identical between several factory made samples. The ground pins were randomized one side to the other and the same for the +12v side. I found this to be very interesting! But ground is ground and +12v is +12v so it doesn't matter.

Anyways, I have used my cables on 3 separate Corsair power supplies (AX1600i, HX1000 and HX750) for a month without issue.

And I am running them hard on a pile of 1080 ti cards @ 100%, OC'd, 24x7.

...just saying.

There's the safe answer and there is the real answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived