Corsair Community

BEST RAM for MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC (Gaming)

pega88

my PC :

i7 4790K stock clock

MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC

Ram Corsair CMD8GX3M2A1600C8 2X4 GB (runing XMP)

GTX 780Ti

Cooler NZXT Kraken X61

SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (System)

HDD WD Blue 2 X 1TB

HDD WD Black 1TB

PSU Seasonic P760w Platinum

DVD RW LG

bios 1.5

windows 8.1 64bit

============================

I feel ram that I use, is not compatible with my motherboard.

case. :

when I was setting my ram to XMP mode, BSOD occurs in 3D vision gaming.

and now, I bought a nice ram with 8-8-8-24 timings. was only able to run at a speed of 1333MHz.

any suggestions what to change my ram settings, or replace the ram with another model?.

I use just for gaming pc

DDR3 Ram is DDR3 Ram is DDR3 Ram.

They just vary by memory configuration and size, performance and price.

Your MSI MB is compatible with DDR3 memory. Your Corsair modules are DDR3.

For your MB's FAQ, MSI states in somewhat English "Make sure that the memory that you have purchased have support X.M.P. function, if your memory cannot support the X.M.P. function then the XMP option will be shown in the Bios setup)

(I hope they they mean "will Not be shown")

Your memory should work just fine.

Do you have the memory plugged into Dimms 2 & 4?

Your memory should have booted up at 1600, not 1333.

Did your BIOS XMP have a setting for Profiles? (my Asus is set at XMP "profile #1")

Does your MSI MB have Windows software? I mention that as mine has "Al Suite 3" and when I tried to carefully OC my memory in there, I kept locking up my PC. I now tweak the memory in the Bios and have my outrageously-priced Corsair Dominator w/ DHX Pro CMP16GX3M2A1600C10 memory overclocked more than I thought I could.

I would suggest looking at your Bios to make sure your XMP settings are correct, and in Bios your memory is set at 1600 or whatever up from that if you are overclocking.

Hi,

Here are my thoughts and experience:

You won't get any FPS increase whether you have 1333MHz or 2400Mhz. Nope. So it's pointless. Also, this CPU can handle up to 1600MHz so anything above that is OC and Intel Memory Controller might not be able to handle this.

Here are my thoughts and experience: You won't get any FPS increase whether you have 1333MHz or 2400Mhz.

That may be your experience, but that does not make that statement true for others. There are various test that prove otherwise:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/october/battlefield-4-loves-high-speed-memory

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

The general consensus is to avoid 1333/1600 unless you are on a very tight budget or already have the memory from an earlier build. The current sweet spot for DDR3 performance/price ratio is, depending upon daily market fluctuations, at DDR3-2133 or DDR3-2400. For example here in europe

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD8GX3M2A1600C8 and CMD8GX3M2B2133C9

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R and CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B

Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A1600C9A and CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R and CMY8GX3M2B2133C9R and CMY8GX3M2A2400C11

are basically priced the same. So why would anyone ever get the lower/lowest specced kit over its faster alternatives?

Also i have never seen a 4790K that couldn't handle DDR3-2400 in like five hundred chips.

Oh wow... my own experience?

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB

Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600

# of Memory Channels 2

Max Memory Bandwidth 25.6 GB/s

ECC Memory Supported ‡ No

What this means, is that there is no guarantee that anything above 1600MHz will work fine. Sure it is possible it will, just like my 2133MHz RAM, but it's not guaranteed by Intel (can't find the statement about this, but Intel does state that anyhting above 1600MHz is OC and is not guaranteed by Intel to work. Also they say that it might cause instabilities.)

Though choice is up to the OP.

What this means, is that there is no guarantee that anything above 1600MHz will work fine.

That it is not guaranteed, does not mean it won't work. Good luck finding a 4790K that can not work with DDR3-1866/2133/2400. You probably never will, unless you can dig up a heavily deteriorated one, that was (ab)used with craploads of voltage for extreme benching.

Actually Intel themselves host this list of compatible memory, featuring even faster kits:

http://www.intel.la/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/core-i7-memory-suppliers-datasheet.pdf

That does need overclocking of course, so nothing is guaranteed. However all those kits were tested and officially approved. There are lots of Corsair kits on the list as well, even a DDR3-2933 one.

What this means, is that there is no guarantee that anything above 1600MHz will work fine. Sure it is possible it will, just like my 2133MHz RAM, but it's not guaranteed by Intel (can't find the statement about this, but Intel does state that anyhting above 1600MHz is OC and is not guaranteed by Intel to work. Also they say that it might cause instabilities.)

Though choice is up to the OP.

Keep in mind that XMP certified memory has been validated by Corsair using a protocol set by Intel. XMP is Intel's program for OCing memory.

Archived