Corsair Community

h100i Extreme woes.. Block corroded through?

seriousdon

Hello corsair mateyz..

I was looking for a corsair rep on overclock.net but see he hasn't been around for a few months (George). Sorry for the long tale but pc is laying dead and naturally I'm upset. All of my work is on it and I really need help figuring this out.

My PC suddenly became unstable and before I could get a chance to work on it, it crashed (gray screen and loud noise out of speakers). In the end it wont post at all, no lights to indicate where in post it would fail.

I pulled the h100i to apply new thermal compound (I have arctic MX-4 if that matters) and used isopropyl to clean off the old thermal compound, and noted green corrosion coming off all over the edges of the block. After cleaning off what I could it seems almost like one edge of the block has been gnawed through, with little waves that look like it's been wet. I'll try to include a picture of the block as it sits now if this site lets me.

So far I've tested the hx850 power supply in my fathers machine and that works fine, but I have no way to test the z97 motherboard or ram right now as I don't have another heatsink for it and his system uses ddr4. I was told not to use the heatsink again and just buy a new one.. If I buy a heatsink specifically for this and my motherboard is toast, that won't do me any good. I'm not sure if I should contact Asus about the board as that's probably long out of warranty.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get from here.

Some additional thoughts:

-This pc has always been kept in a climate controlled room, away from windows, on top of a separate desk.

-It's never been subject to any spills or animals or acts of rage from spiteful gods who seek to mock me.

-It's always been kept clean of dust and has never been around smoke.

-The h100i is the only water cooling in the system, the v64 was on air.

edit: this was purchased in late 2014. I *think* it may have had a 5 year warranty but have to check. I can pull the invoice when needed. Either way even if this is beyond warranty I never expected something like this to happen with an AIO.

Yeah, that doesn't look right at all. Corsair does have a 5 year warranty on it's coolers; they would replace it for you.

Your best bet is to go down the RMA route. To get your system running again (or to see if it runs), you can use an inexpensive air cooler. If you are overclocked, you'll need to go back to stock or lower it. I have a Hyper 212 EVO on hand for just such things. That said, I currently have 4 Corsair AIOs of various models running and have only had a one failure in 3+ years, which, TBH, may have been my fault for not powering it correctly. But Corsair replaced it anyway.

Yeah, that doesn't look right at all. Corsair does have a 5 year warranty on it's coolers; they would replace it for you.

Your best bet is to go down the RMA route. To get your system running again (or to see if it runs), you can use an inexpensive air cooler. If you are overclocked, you'll need to go back to stock or lower it. I have a Hyper 212 EVO on hand for just such things. That said, I currently have 4 Corsair AIOs of various models running and have only had a one failure in 3+ years, which, TBH, may have been my fault for not powering it correctly. But Corsair replaced it anyway.

Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely under 5 years, just checked Tiger direct purchase date in July of 2014. Do I submit a ticket or wait for somebody to contact me through this thread? It's been quite a few years since I've had an issue with computer parts [knock wood].

The system was at bios defaults in the end and just plain refused to post so I can no longer make any changes (I did try a cmos reset before pulling the cooler, it wouldn't start at all anymore).

I'm familiar with the hyper212, I guess I better get one just to have on hand. Actually my office computer has a hyper212 evo on it, just not sure if I have the intel mounting hardware for it.

You would need to submit a ticket. Click on "Support Ticket System" above. If you have issues creating the account, try a different (stronger) password. Apparently the error messages are cryptic.

You'd also want to see if the hardware is dead. From what I've heard (and I've not experienced this myself), Corsair may, on a case-by-case basis, replaced damaged hardware. I can't say if they'd do it in this case but if it'd dead, it's worth a shot.

Thank you DevBiker, I've opened up the ticket.

My dad let me guinea pig his parts to trouble shoot. The hard drives (thank god) and power supply are good from testing on his Ryzen setup but we can't get mine to post. We tried different ram, gpu, clearing cmos, pulling the battery, Re-seating the CPU, praying to the rain gods, you name it :P.

I don't know if that means the CPU or the board is crap (or both), he thinks the corrosion got into the socket because we cleaned some of the ugly blue gunk off of the heat spreader and the metal retention bracket/lid .

Ah well, I think that's about 8 hours straight of toying with this thing. I'm spent. Worst case it's time to think about a new PC.

Make sure you include the collateral damage in your support ticket and try to photographically document as much as you can.

I told them about it so we'll see how that works out. Absolute worst case I'll start saving for something new. I have a core 2 duo laptop to tide me over in the mean time :D:

Archived