Corsair Community

Corsair Link USB cable

Prosperous

Having completed my very first PC build I stumbled upon a small issue. It seems I do not have a USB header free on my motherboard (Asus ROG Strix Z270i Gaming) to utilise Corsair Link from my H80i v2 CPU cooler.

I'm sure someone else has encountered this before, and if so, how did you go about fixing it?

I am big on using stock bits and pieces and would rather pay for a quality part as opposed to a cheap and potentially more unreliable part. Does Corsair directly provide any solutions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you have a free USB3 Header ? get an internal Converter to turn it into (2) USB 2 Headers , I think it is call a 19pin Female to (2) 9pin Male ...seen them on Newegg and Amazon.

NZXT also has a Internal USB2 HUB you could get instead which I know others have used too.

Same board, some problem. The best solution I have is adapting from that free 3.1 header up by the CPU down to USB Mini - B.

Lian Li USB 3.1 Type-C Gen2/10G IO Ports Cable

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/lian-li-usb-3-1-type-c-gen2-10g-io-ports-cable-pw-ic01nh45

Is the only cable I've seen that does what we want. I just pulled the trigger and ordered it this morning. From that you'll need this...

Belkin USB-IF Certified 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Charge Cable, 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters - Copy/Paste that into Amazon Search, can't directly link for some reason.

I'm going to give this a shot this week and I'll post the results. Other people have tried getting a USB 3.0 header spliter, and then adapt that to a 2.0 header. The only place I've seen that attempted though people complained no devices were registered using that splitter.

get a mini usb r/a to usb lead, plug one end into the pump unit and the other pass through hthe case and plug into one of the rear usb sockets

problem solved ....

failing that buy a pci>usb card that gives you an internal usb header and plug it into that

it doesn't matter what usb slot the pump unit is connected too though just that it works and the software can "see it"

corsair does offer the corsair commander pro that comes with 2 usb headers on it but depending on what else you try to connect to it depends on if it will work or not ....

The Asus Strix z270i Gaming ITX board doesn't have any USB 2.0 headers at all. It has a single 3.0 front header, and 3.1 header. Many ITX cases do not have features that let you pass cords through to the back of the case, see Corsair 250D. Not to mention, that looks ugly as hell, one of the reasons get ITX cases is the minimalist appearance. Finally, adding a PCI card with 2.0 headers isn't an option on ITX boards as they only have one full size PCI-E slot for your graphics card.

The only options are, split the 3.0 header, and adapt that to a 2.0 header, or get a cord for the 3.1 header, and adapt that. Really aren't any other options.

• 2 months later...
Same board, some problem. The best solution I have is adapting from that free 3.1 header up by the CPU down to USB Mini - B.

Lian Li USB 3.1 Type-C Gen2/10G IO Ports Cable

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/lian-li-usb-3-1-type-c-gen2-10g-io-ports-cable-pw-ic01nh45

Is the only cable I've seen that does what we want. I just pulled the trigger and ordered it this morning. From that you'll need this...

Belkin USB-IF Certified 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Charge Cable, 6 Feet / 1.8 Meters - Copy/Paste that into Amazon Search, can't directly link for some reason.

I'm going to give this a shot this week and I'll post the results. Other people have tried getting a USB 3.0 header spliter, and then adapt that to a 2.0 header. The only place I've seen that attempted though people complained no devices were registered using that splitter.

I really haven't been paying attention to this topic but thank you for the feedback ProdigyXL! Your solution seems to be the best solution so I think I'm going to give it a go myself. I hate having cords and wiring coming through the tower "unnaturally" if you know what I mean so having it all work internally is a big plus for me.

I wish things were simpler but it seems there will always be a surprise when building your own PC.

Thanks again for your help mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify, I have no interest in the LINK software, so the USB connector is not required and I can just connect the radiator fans and pump power cable into CPU fan header.

I have done just that and haven't encountered any problems but long term, there is no detriment to the H80i V2?

Just to clarify, I have no interest in the LINK software, so the USB connector is not required and I can just connect the radiator fans and pump power cable into CPU fan header.

I have done just that and haven't encountered any problems but long term, there is no detriment to the H80i V2?

Nope, it'll run with the default fan curve ... Quiet, I believe. Just make sure that the radiator fans are connected to the pump and the fan header used for powering the pump is set to 100%.

Archived