Corsair Community

Finally using CLink hardware controlled by SIV 4.52 my system is working as I planed

LicSqualo

Finally!

After than two years and more passed to make the beta tester for a product that it had to work from start, finally I can control ALL my Corsair hardware so as it is ideated, planned, builded and sold from the same Corsair.

RAY=SIV THANK YOU!!! in order to have connected in few months SIV with your Corsair hardware and being successful in so little time to make that all run perfectly! (version 4.52 beta 17).

Any fan that I connect (are ended the times of “not compatible” fans) and, with any sensor in my Motherboard or GPUs or connected hardware I want (even are ended the times of “firmware” problems and this is indeed exceptional SIV, really!) and is present in my system is perfectly under control, and I say it with conscience and data to anyone wants.

It almost comes me to cry for the happiness!

I want to advise to all Corsair Link Customers , with or without CL problems, to try at least once and to understand what I mean. It's fantastic! Trusted, is fantastic!

Thanks still Corsair and SIV.

I hope that you can continue together for this new road, for all of us Corsair Customers, than as me have paid hardware and software and want to have a system under control in any time.

With SIV by now from months I have my system ALWAYS (really always and in overclocking underwater sessions) perfectly under control (no blinking red ghost...I remember), to every increase of temperature the system answer immediately giving me information and I can see the set up running and change. Exactly as it would have to do Corsair Link, but not yet do.

I do not have more the stressfull than to wait for a release of Corsair Link that affords to my system to make what it would have to make but it does not make.

But by now it does not interest me more! I have already my system under control. I can even plan to buy other Corsair hardware and to hold also this under control without problem!

This is INCREDIBLE after two beta tester years with Corsair Link, truly INCREDIBLE!

I do not have doubts on the Ray/SIV abilities and on those of Corsair engineers or who is planning and doing this software. Sincerely and now simply it would like me to see SIV within Corsair, should be a USEFUL thing for all.

Thanks for the attention, and still, THANKS SIV.

A Corsair user, once again, but thanks to SIV.

Note: please don't run CL together with SIV, at today CL don't have the mutex added to run without problem with other controllers.

My Link devices connected

attachment.php?attachmentid=23168&stc=1&d=1445789272

Quite system

attachment.php?attachmentid=23169&stc=1&d=1445789288

Running game

attachment.php?attachmentid=23170&stc=1&d=1445789308

236890390_SIVenabledCorsaircontrol.png.990acae02d101b4049c0447472be9356.png

1243167010_Linkdevices.thumb.png.97fd708b90f2f8f7f918bba87afd1147.png

1083029201_LinkFanscold.thumb.png.682ee1085633674f57b8b18a01782ecd.png

1662725575_LinkFanshotgpu.thumb.png.b5eecd5aa8968f9b7b34bb1cd1a84497.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ray,

thanks a lot for SIV and of course your outstanding support via private messages.

If I hadn't the chance to go with your utility, I probably would have thrown CCM out of the window already. With SIV it just works as it should. Fast, plain, nice feedback.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I have started updating SIV to have a Fan Custom Curve controlled by multiple temperatures. My current plan is to specify a Synthetic Temperature that is set to the maximum of the Component Temperatures (each can have an offset) and then choose that as the fan feedback temperature. Currently a typical setup panel is as below. LEDs can also use these.

I think this will be enough for at lest 90% of what is needed. I am interested to know what others think about this regime for using multiple temperatures to control a custom curve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21629&stc=1&d=1430403017

Synthetic.thumb.png.912353cb73758b10ac3ddd528903a2cf.png

Hi Ray, thanks for the update!

I've immediately set-up the synthetics page as in picture.

Is a really good option. :cool:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21633&d=1430419182

Overall for my "area" fans for GPUs and socket area.

Next step is test to understand and use the offset value. :p:

:sunglasse

Thanks Ray! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

101249349_SIVSynthetics.jpg.1535e947b129c11315369cfaf45cfa76.jpg

I have started updating SIV to have a Fan Custom Curve controlled by multiple temperatures. My current plan is to specify a Synthetic Temperature that is set to the maximum of the Component Temperatures (each can have an offset) and then choose that as the fan feedback temperature. Currently a typical setup panel is as below. LEDs can also use these.

I think this will be enough for at lest 90% of what is needed. I am interested to know what others think.

It may be tolerable if it were more visually friendly,When a user wants to check on a specific component,they want it to stand out and not have to scroll down in a text type format to find it.

It may be tolerable if it were more visually friendly,When a user wants to check on a specific component,they want it to stand out and not have to scroll down in a text type format to find it.

I was really asking for views on Synthetic Temperatures as a regime to control custom curves.

Was the main aim of SIV to replace Corsair Link monitor then I would have considered a different UI. The AIO support in SIV is only about 2.952071% of the total code (11,253 of 381,190 lines) and the current UI is appropriate to the other 97%. Some prefer the CL UI others prefer the SIV UI. If the SIV UI is not to a users taste then they are free to use a different utility.

Corsair should, like NVidia (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi), provide an API that could be used by AIDA64, HWiNFO, SpeedFan, etc. that way users could use their preferred monitoring utility.

• 2 weeks later...

I put together a Haswell-E liquid cooled "supercomputer" for my brother, using Corsair Mini Commander to control various intake and exhaust fans along with the H100i fans that cool my CPU.

The Mini Commander looks so good on paper, but the Corsair Link software to control it is a buggy bloated pig.

1) Corsair Link conflicts with NZXT X41 so that NZXT's CAM software can't control it (I have NZXT X41 cooling my GPU). Corsair Link seems to think it should "own" the USB device that is the NZXT X41 and try to control it.

2) If I use the H100i with data cable to Mini Commander, it is not recognized by Corsair Link. Link can only see the H100i when it is plugged in as USB device.

3) Corsair Link software has a 250MB working set footprint when running, uses more than 1% of CPU on a 5820K just to run minimized in the background, keeps the GPU engaged instead of idling when displaying the fancy fan overlay to watch temps, and cannot dial back the polling rate from default to reduce CPU overhead. Corsair OUGHT to have a tiny background service to actually control the fans (provide the CPU and GPU temps to the Mini Commander) and leave the bloated .NET UI in a separate process that only needs to be opened to customize the fan curves, etc.

4) All mini-commander fans start at 100% when system powers on, so it sounds like a shop vac and wakes up the whole house when I turn on the computer at 3am to check the weather. Please change the mini-commander firmware to have an option to slowly spool UP the fans from dead stop instead of starting them at 100% and then spooling them down.

5) Mini-commander and/or Link software do not allow fans to be shut down. I have a dozen fans in my case, and very few are needed UNTIL the CPU or GPU ramps up under full load. I don't need the fans running unless I need to cool something. Please allow me to set fan curves to idle fans off.

6) Corsair Link software does not respond well to changing which ports things are plugged into. After painstakingly setting all my fan curves and temp groups, I needed to move the Link Commander to a different internal USB port, and it left all my old configured devices as "phantom" devices in Corsair Link and created all new devices within Link with default profiles. Had to create all the custom curves and temperature groups again, and can't get rid of "phantom" devices that are grayed out.

7) There are no options within Link or Mini-commander to set the PWM rate sent to PWM fans, so some of my fans make a grinding noise at low RPM.

8) Corsair Link software does not allow setting any sort of hysteresis in custom fan curves, so if the underlying temperature changes frequently by a degree or two, you can hear the fan ramp up and down. Allowing a hysteresis of 2C on some things while 5C on CPU temp would help tremendously in preventing up/down fan speeds.

9) Corsair Link and mini-commander do not allow a fan to respond to more than a single temperature source. Should my intake fan respond to CPU temp or GPU temp? When I do video encoding the CPU is hot, but when playing games the GPU is hot, and in both cases I need more case ventilation. Too bad, pick one or the other.

10) Mini-commander requires some software to run in order to notify the mini-commander of CPU, GPU, HDD/SSD, and motherboard temperatures. Only one of the 4 temperature probes (#4 for those that are tinkering) on the mini-commander seem to be able to control fan speeds without any software running. So you can't use mini-commander without software running in background, unless you just want fans to run at a single speed, or only respond to a single temperature probe.

BUT ALL IS NOT LOST!

I ran across this thread while hunting for solutions short of smashing mini-commander with sledge hammer. Ray's SIV program has the ability to monitor and control Corsair mini-commander fans! And Ray even added the capability to set temperature groups (called Synthetics) so that each fan can respond to multiple temperature inputs! And on top of that, SIV has minimal system overhead, especially compared to Corsair Link.

So instead of waiting for Corsair to fix Link, I am happily using mini-commander controlled with SIV. My fans spin up and down whether it is the GPU or CPU under load, and I have internal fans that spin up or down to cool RAM, VRMs, SSD, etc, if ANY of them get hot.

My only wish now for Corsair now is to change the mini-commander firmware to 1)allow fans to idle to zero, 2) boot with fans at lowest speed in custom curve instead of booting at 100% fan speeds, and 3) allow setting hysteresis for custom curves to prevent unnecessary fan RPM changes. But please work with Ray to keep mini-commander working with SIV since it is far superior to Corsair Link.

If you have problems or frustrations with Corsair Link, just give SIV a try.

THANKS RAY!!!

• 3 months later...

I have seen many posts in this forum with content of Why? How? Cannot? etc....., concerning C-Link (any version).

Typical response when asked for definitive answers generally are:

If C-Link works on my system, it should work great on yours! If not, don't use it?

I find this remedy of support/discussion less than adequate for a reputable piece of hardware! Let alone, in some cases, the investment it was designed to protect.

SIV is not a "One Size Fits All" utility, unlike C-Link. With SIV you have the option to tailor it to your own system. I highly recommend SIV as a stable and customizable alternative.

Below are "Real" time readings from SIV in control of my H100i GTX. With a little custom tweaking of fan and pump, they run flawlessly, and are recognized upon every boot up (with no Appcrash). SIV is packed full of information about everything on a system that is visible in real time.

Red-Ray, thank you for your interest in solving a problem a lot of individuals, like myself, have had with C-Link.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22708&d=1440710693

attachment.php?attachmentid=22711&stc=1&d=1440711551

attachment.php?attachmentid=22712&stc=1&d=1440711551

988283320_SIV5.03RPMDelaySetting.jpg.f06e33ede00bab47464a85dc524af7f2.jpg

SIV5.03Fan_Pump.thumb.jpg.3a1b5b8e67ae0afaa6e3c2e279aa7609.jpg

SIV5.03Cooling.jpg.e416dad9ed9eca145827f5d3a8cd84a9.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I have joined to the group using SIV to control my cooling inside my "black box" :)

First of all I would like to say to Ray a big Thank You! Before the switch I was using Expert Tool for my GPU control, CL to control the H100i GTX. Now using only one, SIV.

Now running V5.07 Beta-15, Ray has done some development step by step during last days ...

- added my board and fine tuned reported data to get real data

- than some GPU fan control tests begin .... and in the end Ray added a complete fan control with 6 curve points! (this is where I get rid of Xpert tool :))

- CL and Xpert Tool is not needed anymore (to run)

- SIV can´t control/set the LED of the H100i GTX, so, run once CL set up Your desired LED values, quit CL (the LED configuration remains, You don´t need CL for itto work after setup) and thats all

In the end, I´m happy with SIV, runs well, all data read always reliable, setup some very nice fan and pump control points (system really quiet) ... and I´m really looking forward when the commander mini will be available in Europe for purchase (would like to add there my case fans to be controlled under SIV also) - I like the synthetic groups :)

Thanks Ray!

BR,

Peter

• 3 months later...

I've stopped using Corsair Link and moved to SIV.

For me, the Link software has become pretty bloatware and if it wasn't SIV I would be moving away from the Corsair product line(s).

SIV is lightweight, stable - and I now prefer the UI. The ability to edit configuration and monitor sensor information is second to none.

The ability to create "synthetic" monitors that can then be used to tune fans is a feature that I could no longer live without on my configurations.

Plus, Ray listens to feedback from the users of his product and makes changes based on their feedback. Software updates are regular too.

If you've not tried SIV yet, give it a go. It is worth it. Oh, and Ray is a top bloke too.

I've stopped using Corsair Link and moved to SIV.

For me, the Link software has become pretty bloatware and if it wasn't SIV I would be moving away from the Corsair product line(s).

SIV is lightweight, stable - and I now prefer the UI. The ability to edit configuration and monitor sensor information is second to none.

The ability to create "synthetic" monitors that can then be used to tune fans is a feature that I could no longer live without on my configurations.

Plus, Ray listens to feedback from the users of his product and makes changes based on their feedback. Software updates are regular too.

If you've not tried SIV yet, give it a go. It is worth it. Oh, and Ray is a top bloke too.

I agree with everything that you stated in your post.

• 3 months later...

Could anybody please tell me how to save the changes, because after pressing apply and save in fan control window, and reload the program I do not find my settings :/

Anyway, thank you RAY a lot for this superior software.

CAM used ~5% of my cpu, sometimes up to 20. Corsair

Link up to 5%.

And SIV is only 0-0.5% very rarely up to 1%, and monitoring all pc specs. Superior job.

Could anybody please tell me how to save the changes, because after pressing apply and save in fan control window, and reload the program I do not find my settings :/

Pressing [save] will save the settings. If you think it's not saving them then start SIV and post the [Link Fans] + Menu->Machine->SIV Setup->SIV Setup AIO panels.

I am wondering if you read http://rh-software.com/Using%20SIV%20to%20Control%20Corsair%20Link%20Hardware.pdf and suspect you failed to specify -AIOCTL.

Pressing [save] will save the settings. If you think it's not saving them then start SIV and post the [Link Fans] + Menu->Machine->SIV Setup->SIV Setup AIO panels.

I am wondering if you read http://rh-software.com/Using%20SIV%20to%20Control%20Corsair%20Link%20Hardware.pdf and suspect you failed to specify -AIOCTL.

Did not know about this, thank you all works for now perfectly, and what is the most important - works ;)

Is there any way to make SIV minimize on close so I won't be closing it all the time ? :)

• 8 months later...

Hello all, I was a longtime user of Corsair Link with my H100i. It seemed to do what I needed it to and I didn't have too many problems. (Well one, apparently it killed my Green LED, but whatever). Then I got an AMD RX 480 and jumped ship off the Green Team and picked up a HX850i PSU to go along with it. The short version is that now my CL4 was freezing up randomly and only rebooting would resolve it. Also my RX480 would occasionally ramp up to 5k rpm when idle. Fun.

Now that I've installed SIV, I haven't had the random ramp ups (guessing Crimson doesn't like CL4 in some way) and the software freezing has stopped. I can change my fan speeds to performance, quiet, and balanced just like I can in CL4 and I can view my power efficiency from the PSU as well. I've even changed the colors of my CLC Led. The only difference really is that SIV doesnt run like 14% CPU like CL4 did. The whole thing even runs on startup. Pretty transparent if you ask me.

The first step is probably the hardest, and there wasn't much info on how to go about it, so here it is.

Install CL4 fully.

Uniinstall CL4, but leave the USB dongle software.

Download SIV, I put mine in C:/Program Files/SIV

Follow steps in this PDF http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=821198

After that, ask questions. The dev for SIV is really fast to reply with help. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to post a big fat THANK YOU to Red Ray for developing SIV and adding support for Corsair products. When I tried using Link, I had problem after problem after problem. That program never seems to do the same thing twice!

Since installing SIV and expunging all traces of Link, I can now control my Corsair AIO fans and the pump LED properly and consistently. I also added a Commander Mini that I never would have purchased if not for Red Ray and SIV. Now I can control all of my fans with far better granularity than Link or what my MOBO Bios provides.

Red Ray has expended a huge amount of effort trying to sort out the endless stream of bugs in Corsair software and firmware, often having to reverse engineer the protocols since he gets no support from Corsair. I read this forum a lot and have seen dozens of people posting that they would have given up on Corsair and removed all of their products from their systems had it not been for Red Ray, SIV, and his unending patience and support.

SIV is like a living thing - always changing, always improving. Red Ray actually listens to the people using SIV. When they have trouble, he helps. When they have a good idea for a new feature, he adds it - usually within HOURS. I don't know why he does it or why Corsair continues to ignore his advice. I have never seen a company produce such poor software as Link and not fix bugs that are reported, often along with the solution. Every time they release and update it seems to be one step forward and 10 steps back. It's just unbelievable!!

Luckily for Corsair hardware users (and Corsair), Red Ray is on this forum just about every day, helping, educating, and improving SIV while Corsair remains silent and does nothing. It must be very awkward for them but at the end of the day, they should publicly thank Red Ray for providing the support they don't (for whatever reason).

So, if you are here on this forum looking for answers to why your Corsair products are not working properly, do yourself a favor. Forget about Corsair Link. It is clear that it has never worked properly and likely never will. Delete Link. All traces of it. Get SIV, Read the guide, learn your way around the program, set it up the way you want, and start enjoying your Corsair products. It's your choice. Thanks to Red Ray, you have one.

Archived