Corsair Community

Force GT 240gb wont format

Hi, I was using 4 Force GT 240gb in raid0 in my last pc, I just upgraded. actually I was going to use the same SSD's on the new build but one of them would die shortly after running. I think it would not run at the sata 3 speed. My old system was sata 2 and it ran perfect on it.

anyway, I decided to get 6 of the neutron xti drives for the new build. I have a dock for sata drives in my case. I use old HD for back up and storage. I thought I would use my old ssd's the same way but I find non of them will format. I can delete the volume in disk management and create a new volume but they fail when I try to format. I tried to use corsair toolbox to wipe the drives but I get an IO error when I try.

I kniow the drives were good in my old system, the system "see's" the drives, they will just not format.

any idea's?

thanks

John

• Corsair Employee

Hello Xerrravon,

Just want to make sure I have this correct, you had all four in a RAID0 configuration? The reason I ask it the "rule of thumb" for drives in a RAID0 halve the MTBF (Mean Time before Failure) and doubling that to four drives theoretically would cut that in half again which could account for why the drives are no longer usable but still "accessible."

My best suggestion would be to try and format the drives via the command prompt and see if you have any success there. Otherwise, it sounds like unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for them except replace them if they are under warranty at corsair.force.com

-Corsair Rick

Hi, I did not break the raid, I thought about that but figured it wouldn't matter as I had done it in the past with mechanical drives.

I actually tried to unraid it (only one) by plugging it into the dock (but it didnt show up in the raid screen), I think I know why it doesn't show, I believe there are 2 controllers on this MB I guess I need to set it to raid if it will let me. Not sure if I can make them not raid one at a time.

I also checked the drives with ssdlife pro, it says they are good and have about 10 years life left, at least that's how I read it but I have never used it before.

The first post, I did have all four in raid0. Like I said above the ssdlife program says they drives are good (well the 2 I checked) I will try formatting in dos or command prompt, I hadnt thought of that, I was thinking of trying to use windows to start a new install and try there utility. That just made me remember fdisk, if it is still included with windows, I cant remember exactly what it did but I know I used it to fix drives in the past or was it just to partition, idk, its been so long since I even used it...

I think I bought these in 2013 so I doubt there in warranty. I think they will be ok..

I will keep you guys posted...

John

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am back with 4 working drives, even the one that failed on me i when I put the raid set in a new MB.

1st, what allowed me to create new volumes, format them and use them like any drive was a different interface to the pc. I used an old usb to sata interface board I had salvaged out of a, I don't know what it was called, something book, basically a enclosed external usb drive for backup that the HDD went bad in, someone gave it to me and I saved the board. so when connected to the usb interface all 4 drives work perfectly. just really slow.

I am wondering if it is because the connector built into the case is using older sata 2 cable?? I always wondered how important it was to use a 6gbs cable compared to a 3gbs cable??? It is looking like it does matter but I am not 100% sure.

I think the failure I was seeing with the one sdd is just speed, it worked fine in my old sata2 MB but failed after a short peroid of time in the new MB, what I mean is the old raid set would boot up but failed after I started reading writing to the ssd's. then after a short time (couple of minutes even) rebooting it would boot up fine till I started reading writing to the ssd set again. I am thinking that one ssd would run fine at sata2 speed but not at sata 3 speed?? Probably was a problem with it all along.

I have an ESATA port on my case too but it most likely has a 3gbs cable too, in any case I ordered a esata to sata with power cable to try the ssd's on it. If it wont run at ssd speeds I am guessing it is better to sell the drives (the known good drives) than to use them for backup via a usb interface, just doesnt make any sense at all. wont even have the speed as an advantage.

any opinions welcome, I am not sure if I am correct about the 3gbs cable being the problem or now. either way I will let you guys know if the esata cable works. it could just be the connector in my case but it does work with HDD's

OH, I had tried all suggestions 1st, even windows install wouldn't format it but everything works through the usb interface...

thanks,

John

Hi, 1st esata cable came, it does not work at all, I dont believe there is any power to the esata port on my case. I have one more coming, it looks like it has a power supply with it so we will see when it comes.

John

Archived