Corsair Community

Asus Aura & Corsair Link work well together?

Iggledude

I am about to rebuild everything and was wondering how these two pieces of software (that must be had due to new build) work together... if at all??

This question may have been asked already but I could not find it.

Thank you for any answers you may be able to give regarding this issue.

• Corsair Employee
I am about to rebuild everything and was wondering how these two pieces of software (that must be had due to new build) work together... if at all??

This question may have been asked already but I could not find it.

Thank you for any answers you may be able to give regarding this issue.

I use both ASUS Aura and Corsair LINK regularly on my personal system at home. I haven't noticed any issues running both pieces of software side by side, however, that's not to say that conflicts may happen in the future as both software utilities evolve in future updates (I have heard that the service that ASUS Aura uses has caused issues for other users at times, but again, that's something I have yet to experience personally).

I personally wouldn't recommend using Asus AURA/Trident Z RGB Control software due to the mutex used in both programs having access to RAM SPD tables to control Ram lighting and leading to corruption of the RAM EEPROM modules, even if no RGB lighting is used on the RAM.

Several users over on overclock.net forums have noticed this behavior. Martin/Mumak, developer of HWInfo, reply below.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/11350_50#post_26043867

ASUS employee/overclocker Elmor's reply. http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/12400_50#post_26055686

Thank you for your post and especially the links.

I just hope that ASUS finally correctly implement support for the same named mutexes that that AIDA64 + CPUZ (CPUID SDK used by CL4 + CAM + ...) + HWiNFO + SpeedFan + SIV + ... have been using for many years. The minimum that ASUS need to correctly implement support for is:

1. Global\Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method
  2. Global\Access_ISABUS.HTP.Method
  3. Global\Access_EC
  4. Global\Access_Intel_OC_Mailbox

The http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118371 thread created by RAM GUY specifies Corsair Link + ASUS AI Suite should not be used at the same time and there are many other threads/posts such as http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118659 which also state this.

The same is true for the currently released version of ASUS Aura which also fails to use the locks.

Anyone who thinks the current ASUS Aura + Corsair Link can in general be safely used at the same time is living in Cloud cuckoo land and need to read and understand http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037 :rant2:.

I have also posted http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/12620#post_26057372 and gather the ASUS view is "that there is no issue when using their software and that all issues are caused by third parties" which is quite alarming. Even Corsair realised a lock is needed to interlock hardware access and added one in CL4.

Aura software and RGB sticks corrupting SPD

If you're using out Aura software and have compatible RGB sticks installed, please make sure you're not running any other software which is reading SPD (CPU-Z, HWMonitor, HWInfo32/64, SIV, AIDA64, Speedfan etc.) or you might end up with a corrupted SPD. Most of the time they will still work fine, but there's a slight chance your sticks might become unusable. It's currently being investigated on our side, until then I have to recommend to uninstall Aura until we've fully assessed the situation. From what I've learned it's a bug present with several different vendors and combinations of both motherboards and DRAM modules.

What issues can occur if you use both Asus AI Suite and Corsair Link at the same time? I use both (and also Asus Aura) on my PC and have no issues yet, but if the possible issues are serious enough I'll definitely uninstall or disable one of the two. DOes Asus Aura also have this issue?

Edit: Is this the same issue that ASUS Aura and some RGB sticks have? I read it can render RAM sticks useless, and I have the Corsair Special Edition DDR4 so if that's the case I am going to uninstall the ASUS applications ASAP and will send a big long angry rant to ASUS like you suggested.

• Corsair Employee
What issues can occur if you use both Asus AI Suite and Corsair Link at the same time? I use both (and also Asus Aura) on my PC and have no issues yet, but if the possible issues are serious enough I'll definitely uninstall or disable one of the two. DOes Asus Aura also have this issue?

Edit: Is this the same issue that ASUS Aura and some RGB sticks have? I read it can render RAM sticks useless, and I have the Corsair Special Edition DDR4 so if that's the case I am going to uninstall the ASUS applications ASAP and will send a big long angry rant to ASUS like you suggested.

ASUS Aura and CL4 work together well enough to be generally safe to use. I've had CL4 and Aura on my personal system (and several test systems) with Vengeance LED since release and have not had issues with SPD being corrupted. And in your case, assuming Corsair Special Edition is referring to the Dominator Platinum Special Edition, they are not controllable through software and will be fine.

Anyone who thinks the current ASUS Aura + Corsair Link can be safely used at the same time is living in Cloud cuckoo land and need to read and understand http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037 :rant2:.

Noted.

ASUS Aura and CL4 work together well enough to be generally safe to use. I've had CL4 and Aura on my personal system (and several test systems) with Vengeance LED since release and have not had issues with SPD being corrupted. And in your case, assuming Corsair Special Edition is referring to the Dominator Platinum Special Edition, they are not controllable through software and will be fine.

From the support I added to SIV I know the Vengeance LED DIMMs use two different SMBus addresses for the SPD + LED so the SPD getting corrupted is unlikely. The main issue seems to be with G.Skill who use the same SMBus address for both the SPD + LED!

Why not do something positive and make the NDA datasheet for the Corsair RGB DIMMs available to me so I can sensibly comment on those as well?

Alright, thanks for the reply. I figured it'd be fine because I have no RGB RAM, but I wanted to be sure.

I have discovered that G.Skill use two different SMBus addresses for the SPD + LED and the SPD still get's corrupted.

From the support I added to SIV I know the Vengeance LED DIMMs use two different SMBus addresses for the SPD + LED so the odds of SPD getting corrupted may be similar to G.Skill. The main issue seems to be with G.Skill who use the same SMBus address for both the SPD + LED!

Why not do something positive and make the NDA datasheet for the Corsair RGB DIMMs available to me so I can sensibly comment on those as well?

Archived