Corsair Community

EVGA X58 3X SLI and TR3X6G1600C8D

penguin76

I really hate to ask this question, but I'm have a hard time getting my memory to run at 1600MHz and stable.

I've tried manually setting everything, and I've tried using the XMP Profile.

As the Title states, I have the EVGA X58 board and the Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D memory.

I've run through several guides talking about how to set the timings and all on other boards and have tried to emulate those, but I'm not having much luck.

My system tends to freeze/lockup no matter what I do...unless I leave it all default and Auto.

I'm not entirely sure what's needed to help answer my question, so I'm including some information from EVGA E-LEET.

EVGA E-LEET

NB Frequency bounces around 2122.6 and 2122.7

DRAM Frequency 530.7MHz

FSB:DRAM 2:8

CL 8

tRCD 8

tRP 8

tRAS 19

tRFC 59

CR 1T

If I read that correctly, my ram's running at around 1060

Right now there's no over clocking or anything going on, I want to get a stable 1600 and more familiar with overclocking before I even attempt that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having the exact same problem with the same motherboard/memory combo.

Tried everything, cannot get this memory to run at the specified speeds.

At first the voltage was set at 1.70 so I lowered it manually to default. Figured this may have solved it but my computer froze in minutes after boot. Really frustrating.

Ok, I have the latest BIOS.

XMP Profile 1

DIMM Voltage set to 1.575. (If I set it to 1.65V then after rebooting, it runs at 1.72V)

DIMM Voltage runs at 1.63-1.64 I can't get 1.65 exactly.

I can't set CPU VTT at a particular Voltage. I can only do +XmV.

First time I had it set to +125mV

Cleared 2 passes with memtest86. As soon as I booted into windows, my machine locked up. Right when it was playing the login music...got stuck on the music.

I'm now setting it to +175mV which gets my running CPU VTT voltage to 1.36-1.37.

This seems to be more stable so far (Up 10 minutes instead of instant lock up.)

E-LEET shows me DRAM is at 1.63V and CPU VTT is at 1.37.

If it locks up again, I'll try to get those to bump up a bit and see what happens.

I'll report back when I discover something new.

Thanks for the help!!

Mine ran for an hour or so but eventually locked up.

Not sure when as I left it running and went to bed. When I got back up...which is now...the machine is locked up.

No rebooting, just locked.

I've bumped my CPU VTT to +200mV

DIMM Voltage set to 1.600V

BIOS now shows DIMM at 1.65V and CPU VTT at 1.40V

I would run memtest86 again, but it seems to be useless in this case.

I hope I'm not talking too soon, but the latest adjustments seem to make a huge difference.

Computer's been stable for over 6 hours now.

My only concern is that that DRAM Voltage is now bouncing around 1.66V - 1.67V is this a problem? Board says 1.65V is the max.

Turns out I WAS talking too soon.

After almost exactly 12 hours of operation, it rebooted itself.

I'm really getting annoyed that this RAM isn't running at specified speeds. It's also dis-heartening that I've seen other people with this exact issue. Including adamcsay that's responded in this very thread.

I've been following along with the post and figured I would jump in now. I'm running Windows 7 64bit almost completely stable. The only time I get a freeze is when I run Orthos, SuperPi, HyperPi, and Prime95. Everything but Prime95 will instantly freeze or automatically restart my machine. Prime95 ran for 7hrs last night before freezing and today ran for about 5hrs. I can pull a 20 pass in LinX and have yet to see any problems with games.

Settings:

XMP Profile 1 (8-8-8-24-88 1T)

DIMM 1.60v - Been set on 1.65v but as you pointed out it shows 1.71v.

QPI PLL VCore 1.375v

CPU VTT +200mV - Just set this. Testing in Prime95 as I type this.

Hopefully I get better results from this CPU VTT bump. And man if you think this is bad you should have seen what I went through with my RAM (cant type the brand name apparently, its in the rules) I just returned to NewEgg. BSOD, freezes, game crashes, etc.

I'm running the Torture test in Blend mode. Computer made it 9hrs in Prime95 before a restart yesterday. I ran Memtest86+ overnight for 10hrs and 15 passes without any errors.

I am still getting this random restart though (only when I run the calculation software, I have not seen any restart in my normal use or gaming). I would say it was temp related but in Orthos, HyperPi, and SuperPi it is an instant restart as soon as I run the calculations.

I need to adjust something, I just dont know what it is yet, suggestions? Previous RAM was able to calculate Pi to 32M and nothing has changed in my configuration but the RAM.

Still having the same problems here. I did find that the RAM seems to be perfectly stable at 1333Mhz. I am running Super PI to 32M Calculations perfectly fine which was impossible at 1600Mhz (instant lockups and freezes depending on my voltage settings).

Memtest ran for 10hrs and 15 passes with no errors, Linx finished a full 20 passes, its like this RAM either will not run at 1600Mhz or I am clearly missing something.

Stable (so far)

Manual settings:

1333Mhz

8-8-8-24, tRFC 88, CR 1T

CPU VTT +200mV

DIMM 1.65v

QPI PLL VCore 1.35v

I've seen where people have had it running at 1600Mhz. And it's tested/certified by Corsair at those speeds.

I'm staring to wonder if it has to do with the CPU not being clocked higher. I'm grasping at straws here really.

I had also wondered about running at 1333Mhz, but hadn't gotten around to trying it out.

I've post a similar thread on the MoBo manufacturer's forum...I'll PM the link to you.

yep, after many frustrating hours and reboots i decided to try slow and move my way up. i'm now currently sitting stable at 8-8-8-24 @ 1333mhz for 24 hrs. the moment i bump it up to 1600 no matter the timings, lockup.

i've heard 100s of stories of people being able to run these at spec with no fuss at all right out of the box and i scratch my head.

heavily thinking about rmaing these damn things because i've all but given up on trying to run them at 1600.

Yeah, those settings are exactly how I have it set in BIOS and not actual voltages. I'm still curious to see what other suggestions RAM GUY has for us here.

*UPDATE*

How has the setup linuxrouter suggested worked out so far?

Frequency Control

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 133 )

CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( 24x )

Memory Feature

Memory Speed ( Standard ) <-- Standard disables XMP

Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )

Memory Frequency ( 2:12 )

Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )

Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )

Memory Low Gap ( Auto )

tCL Setting ( 8 )

tRCD Setting ( 8 )

tRP Setting ( 8 )

tRAS Setting ( 24 )

tRFC Setting ( 74 )

Command Rate ( 1T )

Voltage Control

CPU VTT Voltage ( +200 )

DIMM Voltage ( 1.65 )

Sorry, missed that you'd posted those below.

I cannot boot into windows with those settings. PC just froze

----------------------------------

got some settings in an older thread.

Going to try these:

Frequency Control

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 133 )

CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( 24x )

Memory Feature

Memory Speed ( Standard ) <-- Standard disables XMP

Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )

Memory Frequency ( 2:12 )

Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )