Corsair Community

XMS2 / Asus P5Q Pro conflict

prescient

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

the 2 pairs you saw above 4 gb total , its my cusin wo is doing the setup

when i see him i make him read here

but i dont think we will be flashing the bios i wont agree on that

the p5q pro is new enough. i never update bios i lost too many machines

doing that

no not even with one stick . we tried each one by it self the mb dosnt like them at all

honestly after what we have been through we are scared to mess with voltages

ill just exchange them with 2x2 gb 667 kin*ston ram the ones the mo accepted

and be over with it ... you guys really needs to work this mess up with asus

i feel terrible

i personally cant do anything , my cousin can but his so worried about it dunno why.

i cant send the pc to anyone cause i dont trust anyone here ..

the ram voltage is 1.8 like the kngstn ram i used should i set the voltage to 2 ?

why not set your ram to be accepted automatically like the other kinds ?

do you grantee we wont fry my 1200$ pc if we changed bios voltage settings ?

my cousin will understand what you say cause his an engineer but please

tell him again what to do . ram guy says set it to 2 v ? but its said on it testing

v is 1.8 so ?

can you tell us in details what to change ?

or should we just go on and use the other ram ?

what is the reason that the p5q pro dosnt want to accept ure ram ?

would i be in trouble anyway if i didnt set the ram voltage manually ?

even with the other ram ? thanks

ok, just to be sure, try resetting the bios (very safe) and try just 2 sticks in the correct slots, check your manual as to which 2 slots to use, this matters alot. if it boots up power down and try 3 sticks, again check the manual for the proper slots to use for 3 sticks. if it does not boot or beeps at you its because the memory controller is not strong enough to run 3 or 4 sticks without raising the voltage to 2.0v for the RAM. this is an extremely common problem with motherboards today, you are not alone. its kind of like driving a car, when you are alone in the care you only have to push the gas pedal down a little to make it go, but when you have a full trunk and 3 other people in the car (representing a heavier load for my analogy) you have to push the gas pedal further down (more juice required) to get to the same speed you did when it was just you.

so when Ram Guy suggested increasing the ram voltage to 2.0v it was to help the motherboad and memory controller handle the increased load. as with any high performance part for your PC a certain degree of manually input settings may be required.

also i noticed in your profile you did not say if you were going to run Windows XP 64 bit. if you run XP regular (32 bit) you will not be able to see or use all 4 Gig of ram for that system. you can come close with some modifications to other settings in the bios and operating system but will not ever be able to use all 4 gig anyway. its an issue with microsoft, not your rig.

setting the voltage and timings is a normal procedure when using performance parts, i truly understand your hesitation to "mess" with the settings but remember, you did not buy an off the shelf dell, you bought an investment in high performance parts and by doing so accepted the responsibility that comes along with that. you may also have to reduce the speed of the ram manually to 667 since the 2 packs of ram you bought were not tested together as a 4 piece set, they are not guaranteed to work together as a set. this appears to be a small oversight on your part when choosing components for your rig. im sorry to inform you of this.

the staff here are experts at this and will not advise you to do anything that would harm your system. other members like myself have been overclocking, watercooling and modifying PCs for years and have the confidence to do so after many years of experience. based on your posts you appear to be just starting out at this and like ALL of us depended on the advice of more experienced people when we started out ourselves.

i strongly suggest resetting your BIOS (you can even just remove the battery for 5 minutes) and try booting with just 1 stick to start to see if the ram will now be accepted so you can further configure the system.

as far as the 5-5-5-18 settings (timings) if you are unsure how to input these values if the BIOS does not use them automatically, im sure Wired or Ram Guy will give you specific instructions how to do so but im confident your motherboard will find these settings itself because there is a chip on the RAM that instructs the BIOS to try those settings first (JEDEC standard).

have faith in yourself and im sure that as soon as you see that XP logo boot screen you can put all this behind you and add a few experience points to yourself!!

Hang in there!!

P.S. not to be picky but by misspelling another brand name in your post to get around the censor filter is not advised, it is a violation of the TOS you accepted when you joined this site. im sure you meant no harm but da rulez is da rulez! :)

i dont have 4 sticks of ram i have 2 x 2gb like these :

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX.pdf

am sorry to say that by setting my mb to 2.0 v while the ram is on 1.8

that dosnt sound right to me i dunno what ram guy meant by that

then he felt lazy of saying the rest of the settings

as you say haw much i invest in this machine you must understand my fear

also of loosing it . your ram should have told the p5q pro what is the

needed voltages like the other kind of ram did . as far as the rules says

the user is not forced to change auto compatibly of a supported hardware

as far as i am concerned ..

the other kind of ram is safer for me as a non power user for now

bios go auto and i wont notice much difference .

learn what the other ram guys did to make it work and use it on ure chip

as easy as that ..

am sorry to sound rude but you have no idea on the troubles we have been through

we cant find another pair of 667 lol all is 800 we like to try

an 800 kingston to see if it makes same compatibility

in case it didnt work my cousin is feeling kinda brave to do the bios settings

these are the figures written on the back of the ram

xms2-6400 2048 800mhz 5-5-5-18 1.80v ver 4.3

what do i need to do exactly on the bios ? step by step ?

the 2 pairs you saw above 4 gb total

two pairs means 4 sticks,

your post confused me.

with 2 sticks in the correct slots should be fine at 1.8v, thats their rating.

just reset the BIOS and load defaults (its an option in the BIOS) and see what you get.

for what its worth the kit part numbers and the actual stick part numbers not matching does irk me a bit because it leads to confusion usually but saying 2 pairs threw us all off this time:)

i would try the yellow and black slots closest to the CPU and if that wont behave then just use the 2 yellow slots.

good luck!

read your manual. it says the yellow slots are better for overclocking but a1 and a2 are the first 2 slots closest to the CPU and it says its ok to use them.

Channel A DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2

Channel B DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2

• You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.

• It recommended that to install the memory module from yellow slots for better overclocking capability.

• Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility, it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor.

• If you install four 1 GB memory modules, the system may only recognize less than 3GB because the address space is reserved for other critical functions. This limitation appears on Windows® XP/Vista 32-bit operation system which does not support Physical Address Extension (PAE).

• If you install Windows® XP/Vista 32-bit operation system, a total memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

• This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128 Mb chips.

• Due to chipset limitation, this motherboard can only support up to 16 GB on the operating systems listed below. You may install a maximum of 4 GB DIMMs on each slot.

• The default memory operation frequency is dependent on its SPD. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value. To operate at the vendormarked or at a higher frequency, see section 3.4 Ai Tweaker menu for manual memory frequency adjustment.

lol we tried all timings but still no work .. in one of the attempts bios freezed

and when we booted it went black screen god i said to him thats its it we fried it

lol then i saw him breaking a sweat then we rebooted it started again we then

loaded bios default and put back the 667 ram kingston and we breathed

deeply as the system went normal again ..

well the corsairs are done with . we gonna test them in the shop and sell

them half price . then we test the 800 mhz 1.8v kingstons

if it didnt work i guess am stuck with these 2 gb 667 kingstons

• 2 months later...

Archived