Corsair Community

It's getting frustrating!!!

MclarenII

I got my third CMX512-3200XL module today, the first one reported errors in memtest86 v3.2. The second was wrongly labeled as a XL though it was a C2-module. So as I said I got my third one today and stuck it in and ran memtest at 2-2-2-5 1T and 2.75v. 6 errors in test#5 the first cykle. So I changed to 2.8v and got 14 errors in test#5. Ok, I thought and changed it to 2.7v and got no errors the first cykle however on the second it reported 2 errors on test#5. I have two of this modules installed in dual-channel and the other one reports no errors in single. Haven't tried this new one in single yet, I'm too sick and tired of all this so I haven't got around to do it. With the first module I got replaced I tested both modules in single and only that one reported errors.

Seems that Corsairs memory is unstable low-quality but expensive modules. I'm seriously considering replacing them with another brand. I'm not so keen in sending away the module/modules again. I need my computer. Note that it's the reseller that have replaced them.

I sent an email to RAM GUY. He should be able to give you the best advice in this case. Just curious, is there any chance that the vendor simply returned the same XL stick you sent to them? I am not accusing your vendor but, I have seen that in the past.

Also, can you list your complete system specifications including your bios settings? RAM GUY will probably ask for that also.

Good luck to you. Mike.

I'm pretty sure it's not the same module cause the first one reported 4 errors per test. This new one reported 6 at 2.75v and 14 at 2.80v. The one thing that have been the same is that all errors seems to be in test#5.

I don't think it's something in my system or BIOS-settings cause the one module that have worked fine from the beginning doesn't report any errors in single. My systemspecifications is in my signature, if more is needed please tell me what you need to know, and also what BIOS-settings you need to know.

Just to make things clear:

When I first got problems with the first module I ran both modules as single one by one two figure out if it was one or both that gave errors. Only one of the module reported errors then. I tried them in the same slot and under the same settings. So one of those modules has worked fine from the beginning.

Well. I have a Antec Truepower 480W and if that isn't enough I'm beat. I only have one harddrive, one dvd-rw, a 6800GT and other essentials like floppy.

However I've had a little success since last visit.

I ran both modules one and one in single and memtest reported no errors on neither module. So I swaped the modules slotposition and ran memtest again in dual and guess what, NO errors in 1½ hour testing. I'm hoping everything works fine from now on, the settings are 2-2-2-5 1T and voltage set to 2.70v.

Well, I could try that but I don't see the point. Since I swaped the modules position with each other I have run memtest successfully at 2-2-2-5 1T for over an hour with no errors. I can't explain why it works all the sudden just by switching the two modules but it seems it does so I don't know if I should mess around with it anymore. Having my modules replaced in the way you replace them is not an option for me. I can't be without my computer for that long it would take.

Archived