Corsair Community

Electrifying

Franzen91

Hi!

I've got a Mx750m and an older version of MX750.

My problem is that the power supply becomes electrifying when I plug it in an ungrounded socket and because of that my whole computer gets electrifying.

Is that normal?

The same thing happens to both my old and new PSU.

I thought ground was only important for safty and things only need ground if something break down.

If I connect the power supply to a grounded outlet, it will work. But I feel like it should be like this, why would completely new power supply be electryfying. Shouldn't it just use the "+" and "0"

Sorry for the bad translation, I usually don't speak english in those terms.

Even if Corsair don't supply a "MX" series of PSUs, I'd be checking the screws used to affix the PSU to the computer case. It may be possible to "electrify" the PSU case and therefore the steel body of the computer case if a screw threads into an active rail. The earth/ground pin in the mains plug would therefore should provide a safety feature to prevent an electrical shock in this case. Appliances that are certified "double insulated" don't use the earth pin from the mains supply, rather hey have two levels of insulating materials between the electrical parts of the appliance and any parts on the outside that you touch. I doubt a PSU could be done as "double insulated" as the outside material would need to be made of a non-conductive material. Therefore, using a 2 pin mains plug in conjunction with a PSU is definitely not on my recommended list of things to try.

Check this post for details regarding the subject.

Archived