Corsair Community

Wake from sleep issues.

Astral85

I know this has been an issue in the past but I am not sure there was ever a clear cut resolution. Right now in a new Windows installation this problem is worse than before, significantly.

I am running Link 4.9.5.25. On waking from sleep Link will report my H110i fans are spinning at the defined normal rpm (custom curve) but double checking that in monitoring program HWiNFO it reports that the fans are actually running at 300 or so rpm.

If one of my LNP channels brightness is turned right down to off Link does not respond to me turning it back up, the led strip remains off. Exiting Link completely and reopening it results in all of Link's values/data being empty and I am forced to reset the machine for Link to function again.

This is a big problem because my machine sleeps regularly. :sigh!:

Link_empty.png

First, running HWInfo and Link at the same time, with HWInfo monitoring the Link devices, will cause issues. HWInfo and Link both get these values from the device itself, via USB. Only one application can access the device via USB at a time. When both are running, bad things can happen. This includes, but is not limited to, invalid readings from the device or causing the device driver to freeze, necessitating a reset in Device Manager.

When you exit Link, make sure you exit from the right-click menu in the System Tray and verify that the Link Service is stopped before restarting. Also, if you can, enable debug logging; let's see if you can reproduce this and if we can get some log information that can help identify the issue.

@Devbiker

I have been made aware of the program conflicts in the past. I am unsure though as to the extent of destruction that might be taking place on my machine in the background.

On the surface it would appear that both Link and HWiNFO read the correct identical values simultaneously, or maybe there is a very slight time delay? Are the problems really any worse than this (a time delay?) Obviously there is an issue waking from sleep and it would not surprise me that there is an issue with the re-initialization of the driver or some issue like you describe, but during normal use I am not aware such problems...

I'm getting server error's for attachments but managed to get Client trace up to have a look at.

Client_Trace.log

Client trace isn't going to tell us anything; it'd be in the service trace.

And bad things can happen when two applications try to access the USB at the same time. Specifically, it can crash the driver. Resulting in you having to restart the driver in Device Manager.

I have been seeing this for a while too, particularly after waking from sleep. It can be caused by poor interaction between Aura and Link. If you check the Task Manager, you may see the Asus Lighting Control service chewing up large amount of CPU power. Ending that process typically then allows Link to reconnect. I have not tested with the latest Aura released last week.

However, even after removing Aura and with no other monitoring programs, I still encounter this occasionally. Quit Link in the task bar drop down, then opening the task manager and and kill the "Corsair Link 4 Service (32 bit)". Finally relaunch Link and it should be back to normal. Not really sure why it gets stuck, the disconnect between quitting the program and the service seems telling.

@DevBiker

What information does Service trace contain? Mine seems to be full of what looks like polling data or something.

@c-attack

For me Aura in Task Manager shows as AsRogAuraGPUllServer (32 bit). The service appears to be called "Lighting Service" with no Asus in front, strange. Aura.exe doesn't startup with Windows for me, it isn't even a startup item in Task Manager startup tab. I have to run it manually. The service itself though I imagine is active all of the time and starts with Windows. It could be the service is a problem. I think I have the latest Aura version.

I can confirm that the issue is intermittent for me, I have slept a few times today and have had no issues with with Link operating correctly on wake.

Edit: My bad. AsRogAuraGPUllServer is one of those ones that startup through Task Scheduler. :)

@ncampos976

That's definitely what I experienced the other day. The lighting node pro wouldn't respond and the fan mode was not initiating. I will see anything sticks out next time this happens.

Yes, I believe it is "Lighting Service" in the task manager for Aura. Sadly Asus did not add basic BIOS control for the board lighting on Z370, like on prior series. However, it appears the program silently will write basic color selections to the board memory. Even after uninstalling Aura, the solid green pattern remains after shutdown, reboot, etc., but that won't work for complex or reactive patterns.

@DevBiker

What information does Service trace contain? Mine seems to be full of what looks like polling data or something.

It will have polling data, as well as a bunch of other stuff. There's also a Service_Error log file.

The client doesn't really do anything with the devices; it merely communicates with the service. So the client log won't help us understand what the issues is ... that'd be in the service logs. What, specifically, I'd look for is any errors communication with a device or WMI timeout errors.

It will have polling data, as well as a bunch of other stuff. There's also a Service_Error log file.

The client doesn't really do anything with the devices; it merely communicates with the service. So the client log won't help us understand what the issues is ... that'd be in the service logs. What, specifically, I'd look for is any errors communication with a device or WMI timeout errors.

Can't seem to upload my Service Trace, keep getting Server Error - 404 - File or directory not found.

I don't have a Service Error log file. Does that mean no errors have been detected thus far?

Forum attachments keep failing, try the link below. It is the service trace file beginning from when I reinstalled Windows around 3 weeks ago, I then turned the debug log off about a week or so ago. Nothing sticks out to me but I will try to generate another more current file.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kv18uly49skde2u/Service_Trace.log

At 33MB, it's too big to be attached. I didn't see anything in there either. Question: does fully restarting Link (exit Link from Task Bar, make sure that the service also stops) restore functionality?

Archived