Corsair Community

Corsair Air - Problem.

Yinmeout

The reason for posting is that I am having major issues with this device.

The first issue is that I can't see any content over Wifi or Ethernet - that I place onto the drive via USB3. It's almost as if there are separate partitions or something. . . ? (unlikely).

My first steps after unboxing with 10 files went ok.

I then copied (overnight) 22000 files in their existing structure onto the drive using USB3.

After unplugging the drive - I rebooted it and then tried to access the content wirelessly. Not found - nothing zip - empty drive.

I re-connected USB and sure enough there all the files are 450gig of them.

Wirelessly nothing.

I enabled the DLNA server - no files showing.

After several iterations and variations of this - I formatted the drive to "start again" thinking I must be using the device incorrectly. (Read posts about ensuring DLNA server disabled to avoid corruption etc).

After formatting under win8.1 - I can use it as a USB drive no problem.

But wirelessly there is no default "voyager" share anymore.

The NetBIOS name appears and I can connect to it via IP - but there is no remote file system being presented.

If I use the app - I can create folders inside the app - and they show - but I can't see these wirelessly. They are not there once I have connected USB again.

There must be something simple I have not done after formatting - is there?

Hi Yellowbeard,

I have downloaded the new firmware - thanks for the link and the pointer.

I have connected the drive to the computer via USB3 and placed the firmware package into the root of the drive - it is the only file.

F:\>dir f:\

Volume in drive F is VoyagerAir

Volume Serial Number is CAB5-****

Directory of f:\

29/05/2014 23:28 104,180,211 VoyagerAir-dev.pkg

1 File(s) 104,180,211 bytes

0 Dir(s) 999,906,934,784 bytes free

I have unplugged the drive from USB.

Switched off

Switched on.

The drive does not update the firmware to the newer version.

It still is showing as 1.2.8 version.

Basically it seems have bricked the device, by formatting the drive.

Is it possible that I can do that - if so what must I do to retrieve the device to an operable state?

It's surprising that this it is possible to achieve what I have done - with just a re-format isn't it?

Hi again,

Yes the drive is connected to the wall outlet and is in fact "green" - fully charged.

The wifi light does flash when the drive restarts - but after a further re-boot - it's still showing 1.2.8 version. No upgrade has been performed.

I am surprised that customers who have re-formatted for apple compatibility have not reported an issue such as I have?

May I offer you a question / suggestion - to ask the dev team?

It seems that the ROOT of the drive is NOT the ROOT so far as the Linux on board OS is concerned. The Root of the drive so far as that is concerned is the default folder which I have destroyed by formatting the drive.

I remember it contained a .minidnla folder and within that folder a ~something.ini file (folders.ini maybe - I can't remember). Obviously all this is not there and cant be created by the OS since the default folder is no longer there.

Since I do not know how to re-create that as I can't remember what it was called I am unable to test this theory.

The Linux OS on the Voyager Air DOES NOT share out the :\ root of the drive.

It shares out a FOLDER and my assumption is (and the root of this problem) that that folder does not exist and needs to be re-created.

This is the report of the drive remotely.

D:\>net view \\192.168.1.74

There are no entries in the list.

This means the network on the drive has not been started. Nothing is shared out.

This would explain why -

Any folders created in the iOS application do not persist.

There are no folders visible from a network connection to the device.

Folders created on the drive VIA USB can not be accessed remotely.

The Network OS on the device is unable to find and utilise the 2.0.17 binary files I have dropped onto the root of the drive which are not being found.

Please can you investigate my theory internally and let me know. Otherwise I will need to just RMA this four day old perfectly serviceable device, due to inoperability as discussed in this exchange.

Thanks for your help and support so far.

Guessing. . . I tested my theory.

Created the shares below and placed a copy of VoyagerAir-dev.pkg in each folder.

E:\>dir

Volume in drive E has no label.

Volume Serial Number is EC22-7B7E

Directory of E:\

30/05/2014 10:13 <DIR> root

30/05/2014 10:13 <DIR> voyager

30/05/2014 10:13 <DIR> voyagerair

30/05/2014 00:03 104,180,211 VoyagerAir-dev.pkg

30/05/2014 10:13 <DIR> voyager_air

Rebooted drive twice with + power attached and - USB attached.

Results are negative - still no upgrade and still no network shares.

Anyone reading this - I RMA'd the unit today.

While USB3 works absolutely fine: It was not possible to make the network OS be able to see the units mechanical disk, read and write from it under any of the conditions I tested. Following the guidance received from this forum and post I am left with no alternative at this point but to return the unit to Corsair for replacement.

I would strongly advise others NOT to format their Voyager Air drive in spite of information suggesting this practice is harmless.

Guessing. . . I tested my theory.

Created the shares below and placed a copy of VoyagerAir-dev.pkg in each folder.

You cannot put the .pkg file inside a folder. It's not going to work.

Rebooted drive twice with + power attached and - USB attached.

Results are negative - still no upgrade and still no network shares.

You must disconnect the USB connection for the update to work.

Here is how I fixed this drive.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.3.9600

Copyright © 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: MAIN

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 232 GB 1024 KB

Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B

Disk 2 Online 232 GB 0 B

Disk 3 Online 931 GB 0 B

Disk 4 Online 931 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 4

Disk 4 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>format E: /FS:NTFS /V:VoyagerAir /Q /A:64K

Specified drive does not exist.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.3.9600

Copyright © 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: MAIN

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 X DVD-ROM 0 B No Media

Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy System

Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 232 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 3 W Data NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy

Volume 4 V Games NTFS Partition 232 GB Healthy

Volume 5 D Scratch NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy Pagefile

Volume 6 RAW Partition 931 GB Healthy

DISKPART> select volume 6

Volume 6 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> assign

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

DISKPART> select volume 6

Volume 6 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 X DVD-ROM 0 B No Media

Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy System

Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 232 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 3 W Data NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy

Volume 4 V Games NTFS Partition 232 GB Healthy

Volume 5 D Scratch NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy Pagefile

* Volume 6 E RAW Partition 931 GB Healthy

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>format E: /FS:NTFS /V:VoyagerAir /Q /A:64K

The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK

DRIVE E: WILL BE LOST!

Proceed with Format (Y/N)? y

QuickFormatting 931.5 GB

Creating file system structures.

Format complete.

931.5 GB total disk space.

931.4 GB are available.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Copy w:\users\admin\downloads\VoyagerAir-dev.pkg e:

1 file(s) copied.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Now I am ejecting the drive and switching it off.

I am plugging in the power cord

I am switching on the drive.

Wifi Icon is blinking – after 15 seconds.. . .

Still blinking . . .

This is looking better than before – still blinking. . . .

It worked but took around five minutes to complete.

@yinmeout

can you confirm that your "reformatting to NTFS on a Windows machine" worked.

I have the same problem, formatted to HFS+ and was suspecting that to be the issue but do not want to go through the nuisance of moving all my data out and reformatting, if I don't have to.

Thanks

Reformatting to NTFS is not a requirement. The update will absolutely work with an HFS+ drive. (I did it myself again yesterday morning, just to be sure).

What may be required (if you cannot erase/reformat the drive) is to fix file corruption on the drive (frequently caused by unplugging from USB without ejecting) before running the update. You probably do need to plug in DC power as well (it should work without doing that, but if you have the adapter, why not).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bill

seems to be common issues here, I have tried (and failed) to update to the latest firmware in both HFS+ and NTFS formats. I followed the steps described above at post 10 (NTFS format). I got all the correct responses following the steps described using disk partition, ejected the drive switched off the power,disconnected the USB plugged voyager into the mains, switched back on. I was hoping to get the blinking wi-fi after a short period. Left it for about a minute but no blinking wi-fi indicator. If I try to connect through the iPAD APP and check the IP address it still shows the firmware as being 1.2.7 I have rebooted multiple iPAD's but the firmware remains the same. I have repaired the drive in both MAC and Windows with no faults detected. I am not sure what else I can do now so any help would be appreciated. When I view the directory in the command prompt I can see the firmware update (all 99.3 MB) as a file. No other folders or files are in the directory. Is there a factory settings option available so that I can try again

Many thanks

Hi Bill

seems to be common issues here, I have tried (and failed) to update to the latest firmware in both HFS+ and NTFS formats. I followed the steps described above at post 10 (NTFS format). I got all the correct responses following the steps described using disk partition, ejected the drive switched off the power,disconnected the USB plugged voyager into the mains, switched back on. I was hoping to get the blinking wi-fi after a short period. Left it for about a minute but no blinking wi-fi indicator. If I try to connect through the iPAD APP and check the IP address it still shows the firmware as being 1.2.7 I have rebooted multiple iPAD's but the firmware remains the same. I have repaired the drive in both MAC and Windows with no faults detected. I am not sure what else I can do now so any help would be appreciated. When I view the directory in the command prompt I can see the firmware update (all 99.3 MB) as a file. No other folders or files are in the directory. Is there a factory settings option available so that I can try again

Many thanks

Do you have the original Voyager Air or the new Voyager Air 2?

Thanks,

By the way, wouldn't it help if the DOC accompanying the firmware were updated to include this info?

Happy to see Airplay work straight from the drive :-)

You mean something like this?

:

Note: It’s strongly recommended that you scan the disc for problems before running the update. On Windows, this means running “Check Disk”, and for OS X users it means “Disk Utility > Repair”. The firmware update seems to be very sensitive to file corruption on the drive, which can easily be caused by unplugging it from USB without ejecting it first.

• 5 weeks later...
The reason for posting is that I am having major issues with this device.

The first issue is that I can't see any content over Wifi or Ethernet - that I place onto the drive via USB3. It's almost as if there are separate partitions or something. . . ? (unlikely).

My first steps after unboxing with 10 files went ok.

I then copied (overnight) 22000 files in their existing structure onto the drive using USB3.

After unplugging the drive - I rebooted it and then tried to access the content wirelessly. Not found - nothing zip - empty drive.

I re-connected USB and sure enough there all the files are 450gig of them.

Wirelessly nothing.

I enabled the DLNA server - no files showing.

After several iterations and variations of this - I formatted the drive to "start again" thinking I must be using the device incorrectly. (Read posts about ensuring DLNA server disabled to avoid corruption etc).

After formatting under win8.1 - I can use it as a USB drive no problem.

But wirelessly there is no default "voyager" share anymore.

The NetBIOS name appears and I can connect to it via IP - but there is no remote file system being presented.

If I use the app - I can create folders inside the app - and they show - but I can't see these wirelessly. They are not there once I have connected USB again.

There must be something simple I have not done after formatting - is there?

I am having the exact same issue with my Voyager Air Gen 1

I tried the steps laid out by Bill but it is still in the state described in this initial post.

Archived