Corsair Community

Crackling noise on ALL of my PSU's

Zaneboy

Hello,

I'm currently at my third PSU. My first one was a CS750M. Had it for 4 years until it died this year. Before it died it was generating an electrical crackling/frying noise. This was going on for at least months. I don't know if the PSU died because of this or because of something else. We did have a fuse blown at our house at that moment, but I use an UPS with surge protection, so that was very weird (unless the surge protection only works from external surges and not issues from within your pc?).

I replaced the CS750M with a TX650M in June this year. This one was running fine until 1 or 2 weeks ago it also started making this crackling noise when the system is under load. I didn't hesitate and RMA'd my PSU to my local supplier and received a new one (TX650M as well). I just assumed this was a coincidence.

Guess what happened when I installed my new one this week? Yep.. the same thing. It generates the same noise when under load. On idle it works just fine, just like the second PSU. 3 different PSU's, three times the crackling noise. I made a video so you can hear the sound: [ame=

]
[/ame] (turn up volume if necessary)

The noise can be heard from the upper right corner of the PSU when you view the pc from behind, knowing the PSU is installed with the fan aimed downwards.

I already did some troubleshooting without any result:

1. Before I installed my new PSU I cleaned my case, so dust is not and wasn't the issue.
  2. When I powered the pc on, I only had the mobo & the cpu power cable connected. GPU, HDD's etc were not connected to the PSU yet. I could hear the crackling noise immediately upon startup, albeit not as loud. I also replaced the previous external cable with the new one. So this can't be related with my power cables.
  3. As mentioned before, my PC is attached to a UPS with battery & surge protection. I thought it might be related to this so I plugged the power cable directly in the wall socket. Even tried multiple sockets. The issue persists.
  4. I undid the overclock on my system and booted with a default profile, still crackles under load.
  5. Did a stress test with Aida64. First only on the cpu, fpu, cache & ram. No crackling heard. But when I stresstest including the gpu or only with the gpu the crackling is there again. (kinda normal, gpu = biggest power user)

I'm out of ideas. Either this is a motherboard related issue (Asus Maximus VI Hero) or the power at my house is not good? I could REALLY use some help here please. My local pc guy asked around to some of his suppliers, they don't know a possible reason as well.

Thank you.

• Corsair Employee

Hi Zaneboy, sorry you're encountering this odd issue. As Corsair Mint mentioned, it doesn't seem to be an electrical crackle, but more like a fan that's hitting the guard or something. If it's the same exact sound, and you've now used two different PSUs, it leads me to believe it might be something else in the system, but I'm not saying without a doubt it's not the PSU\. What other moving parts, like fans, pumps, etc are in the system?

Also, cooling bits will spin up faster under load, typically, so it could be a wobbly fan or something.

Archived