Corsair Community

Is it normal to push the on button twice to turn computer on with the HX620W

willie535

I install the Corsair HX620W power supply yesterday and ever since then I have to push the on button twice to turn my computer on. Is this normal or is something causing this problem. Before I changed the power supply the computer always started up with one push.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 620HX and am getting a very similar issue. When I push the power button on my computer, the power turns on and all the fans spin for a second, then everything turns off. Power then turns on again and the computer boots and runs problem free. I only have to push the button once, unlike you guys, then the computer turns on, then off, then on again and boots all on its own with that single push.

I have an Asus P5K-E wifi, running a Q6600, 2 sata's in raid zero, 2 gb's crucial ram. The computer seems to run rock solid other than this issue.

Ramguy, do you think that this is a motherboard issue, as well?

*Update* After monkeying around a bit, this only seems to happen after the computer has been unplugged from the wall, and or, the I/O switch on the power supply was turned off. After the computer has been started once, it can be shut down and then turned on again later with no issues. Another odd thing is if I make changes in bios, such as fsb, ram speed, etc. when I save and exit the bios the computer turns off for a second, and then, on its own, turns on again and boots with no issues at all.

I find this all very odd.

• 2 months later...
blackmanta, this happens on most contemporary ASUS mobos if you have overclocked your system from the BIOS and unplugged it from the wall/used I/O switch. ASUS guys acknowledge this, but do not do anything; you can't do anything about this, except running your system on stock frequencies or not unpowering it completely.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I have a ECS C51GM-M nforce4 motherboard and a TX650W PSU. I have to press my button twice to start my computer aswell. The first press makes my mouse scrollwheel glow (I have a razer deathadder) and the second press makes the computer start. I find it very alarming : (

This never happened with my last PSU

EDIT: I have reset the bios, but when I started my comp now 1 minute ago I had to press the button FIVE TIMES!

• Corsair Employee
Hi

I have a ECS C51GM-M nforce4 motherboard and a TX650W PSU. I have to press my button twice to start my computer aswell. The first press makes my mouse scrollwheel glow (I have a razer deathadder) and the second press makes the computer start. I find it very alarming : (

This never happened with my last PSU

EDIT: I have reset the bios, but when I started my comp now 1 minute ago I had to press the button FIVE TIMES!

What happens if you manually jump the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver, or some other metal object? This will essentially bypass your start button, to make sure that the problem does not lie with that.

i have the same issue , i have an asus maximus formula mobo and an corsair 750w psu , the same things happens to me when i cold boot the system after

a day or 2 .

i switch of the psu and also unplug the wall socket , and hence this happens

if i dont unplug the wall socket then all is well.

i have oc the proccessor but i think i must see if i dont oc then what happens .

anyway the issue is there ...may be asus should fix this issue ..

• Corsair Employee
I know this happens to my board, but only when system fails to POST due to unstable OC settings. It's an ASUS feature, and people here seem to have ASUS boards.

Try clearing your CMOS.

I have seen this issue with other branded boards as well, and as far as I remember it is always on boards with Intel based chipsets (P35, X38 etc.). It is more of an inconvenience than anything else, and it is unlikely that any components would be damaged at all due to this. The PSU itself only knows whether it should be "On" or "Off", and it gets the signal to do so from the motherboard. The only reason the PSU would turn itself off is if the system trips the Over-Voltage Protection, or Over Current Protection circuits in the PSU, or possibly if there is a failing component in the PSU.

Clearing the CMOS is definitely the first thing to try, and I would also recommend that you make sure you have the latest BIOS for your board.

What happens if you manually jump the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver, or some other metal object? This will essentially bypass your start button, to make sure that the problem does not lie with that.

I've tried with an antec 900 aswell (a different chassi) so the power button isn't the problem

clearing cmos didin't work either

Did you have the same problem when using the Antec PSU?

I didn't use the antec PSU (antec 900 is a chassi). regardless, I never had this problem with any PSU before the TX650

note: I noticed now that I don't have to press the button several times, I can just press once and hold the button down. not that it really matters : P It takes the same ammount of time

• Corsair Employee

If you wanted to we could try replacing the unit for you, however I would suspect in most cases there is a glitch with the BIOS and the way it powers on the unit which is the cause of the issue, and there may not actually be a faulty component in the PSU.

At any rate, you can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I live in Sweden so the shipment cost would surely be a lot and the computer runs just fine once it's powered on. I think I can live with it

My BIOS is a little weird because it doesn't reckognise my CPU model, could be the BIOS and not the PSU that's causing the problem like you're saying

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue. A7N8X-E Deluxe NF2 chipset. I just replaced my PC Power and cooling PSU with a 520HX and now I have to push the power button twice. I cleared CMOS and I am running everything at stock settings. I also have the latest BIOS 1013. Everything seems normal after the computer starts. I also have 5 of these computers all with different PSU's (Only this one is using Corsair 520HX) and none have this issue. Do you have any other ideas or options?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Our PSUs are backwards compatible to ATX12v 2.01 power specifications. Older motherboards which were designed to use an older spec, may function slightly differently when using a current PSU. Other than a BIOS update, there is not much which will change the way the system initially boots.

good thing i found this thread, i think a common dominator here is Asus board, i have a P5Q mobo. my power supply HX620 is working flawlessly but since i replaced my ram from ddr2 6400c5 to ddr2 8500c5d, every time i turn on the power everything will fired up for a second and down for 3 seconds and then fired up back again. thats my only issue, after that my system is stable. im just worried that it my affect other components. have the latest bios and everything set to default and manually set the ram specifications thats all ive done, no OC.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm also experiencing the issue of 'pushing the power button twice' to turn on the computer. It did power up with one push after the initial install of the 650TX.

I can also shut down, turn off the switch on the PSU, pull the plug from the wall and it will power up with one push the first time. After each subsequent shut down, you have to once again push the power button twice. I can live with it. 5 year warranty, the voltages are very stable and other than pushing the power button twice, everything seems to be running fine.

Just a question, can pushing the power button twice cause any adverse issues?

I read earlier in this thread where RAM GUY said it was more of an inconvenience than anything else and he didn't think there would be a problem.

Thanks,

scjr

A7N8X-Deluxe mobo (socket A)

CPU AMD Athlon XP 2800, 3 Hard Drives, 2 ROMS, ATI Radeon Pro 9800, Audigy 2 Sound Card, Three Case Fans.

Archived