Corsair Community

H115i Pump Failure

Sleuth

For a few weeks now, turning on my PC has displayed a "CPU Fan Speed" warning (I have the AIO pump speed plugged into CPU Fan 1 so I can make use of this warning). Sure enough, when I looked at the fans in the BIOS, the pump was reporting that it wasn't active. When I unplugged the power for the pump, and plugged it back in again, half the time it would start working and I could boot the PC. While gaming, the pump would occasionally stop and my PC would shut down when the CPU reached the 80°C critical temperature preset.

Yesterday, this problem became permanent. The pump is just not working at all, I can't even hear it. The RGB on the pump enclosure is working fine, and un/plugging it works fine, but the pump just won't kick into action. I find it hard to believe that the pump can die this easily - I didn't have my PC on that often, so its run time is probably within the lower-than-average use-case. I had an AIO before this that lasted 5 years of nearly always-on.

My question is this: is it normal for a pump to die at under 3 years of low usage? And if not, is there some common cause that can be treated to kick it back into action?

I have already opened a support ticket but so far I've not had a reply, so I wanted to reach out to the community to see if there's anything I can do.

Many thanks!

If it's an electrical failure (which seems highly probable), it's pretty hard to attribute a cause or make some rational sense of what happened. Electrical failures in particular usually happen at power on, rather than hours in use, etc. Every time you go from 0 to x.xx amps of current, something negative could happen. Time is not usually a factor, although obviously at the extreme end if the material starts to degrade, there is an inevitable consequence looming. Electronic components of all types sometimes fry themselves into oblivion in the first 30 days, some take a few years, some never. The microwave in my parents house when I was a kid in the 80s still runs and sounds smooth. Of the last 4 microwaves I bought them in the past 10 years, none of them lasted longer than 2 years and two of them bonked within 1 week after the 1 year warranty ended. Rather than grand conspiracy (although I thought quite a bit about it), this is just what happens when one link in chain of components fails.

There are some criticisms of the H115i, but a straight electrical failure is not reported very often. I think you were just on the wrong side of the luck curve this time. It is frustrating nevertheless. I have another non-Corsair 280mm that I liked very much, but TWO electrical failures inside of 6 months means the 3rd brand new replacement still sits in its plastic. My H115i PRO has done far better. Given the history of the H115i, I don't think you should fear the power on moment. On the other hand, if you were almost ready to make a change to a different model or size, now is the time to do so and you can tuck the replacement away for another day or purpose.

Archived