XMS problems and a question about voltages

peanutz94

Hello Everyone

Let me start out with my first problem, and that is for some reason i 'm having a sporadic problem of one of my 2gig sticks dropping out with out any rhym or reason. I have read the stickys concerning the problems with incorrect capacities being detected on some X58 boards. While this does sound kind of like my situation i didn't know if that applied to a build that is 10 months old and has been up until now running flawlessly, i wasn't sure. Sometimes its just one stick others it's two sticks. I'm not OC'ing the CPU but am running XMP.

I have run MEMTEST for two hours on each stick individually with no errors. Same goes for windows memory diagnostic. From what i understand, that may or may not mean a thing. So, is there a way to further narrow down the problem? I'm thinking that since it's sometime one stick , then two, that it may be the MB. I dunno *shrugs*

On an unrelated problem the sound chip on my board has gone out and i need to RMA the board itself anyway. Is there a possibility that the two separate problem be related or just coincidence?

Okay , now the voltage question...When i set the BIOS to XMP DRAM bus voltage goes to 1.66 which I know is normal. BUT QPI voltage goes to 1.4 and i thought 1.35 was supposed to be max . Am i missing something here? And is this safe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

First off i need to apologize to Wired. I guess i let my frustration with this hunk of circuitry that has caused me so much grief over the last few weeks get the best of me. I should not have let that carry over here. So, Wired i hope you'll forgive me, as well as you too RamGuy:o:*

Anyway, i'm still having the same problem with my memory i had to begin with before the MB RMA. So i borrowed a friends I-7 930 to see if it was indeed the CPU. Again no luck there. Every so often if i have to restart the computer, it shows 2gig less memory than whats installed. If i completely shut down and restart, it will show the full 6 gigs. It doesn't seem to make any difference if i let it cool down or not between starts.

If i run Prime95 on small ffts i can let it run for hours with no errors. But as soon as i run a blend test that adds more memory into the mix, i get errors.Both with the I-7 920,and the 930. But the RAM will still pass memtest for hours with no errors.So needless to say i'm pretty befuddled as to whats going on.

Is there any other tests that i can run to nail down the problem?

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ram Guy, or Wired,

I have one question. I s there a a certain time period i have to take advantage of this RMA? I haven't started the actual process yet and have run into some problems with health that's going to keep me away from my house and my computer for a while. Probably a couple of more weeks. If I need to do this before then , i'm going to try to make arrangements for someone to get into my machine to remove the RAM.

To me it's like someone asking me to borrow my Ferrari for a night. If i had one:p:

Archived