Corsair Community

Commander Pro is DEAD

xldeane

Hi Gents a little help here please.. Im just finishing off my new build. Im using a 570X case and I have fitted 6 HD120 RGB fans. All the cables and wires going to all the right places.. I started her up about an hour ago, everything started fine,all the fans were spining, some faster than others I might add but the LEDs on the fans were dead..

I opened Corsair Link I could see the fans but they were spinning at different RPMs and very erratic. I thought it may have been the Lighting Node/Hub so I swopped it out with a spare that I bought with the fans, I then noticed that the Commander Pro has a LED by the temp connectors it wasnt alight.. I checked all the connectors. There is definatly power getting to the CP because it coming from the same power cable that goes to the HHD.

I read on this forum something about a firmware roll back is that what I have to do to get this bloody thing working ?? Its 4.00 in the morning I have been putting this machine together all night and the CP lets me down.. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

xldeane

The LED hasnt lit up all night, thats how long of been working on the bloody thing.

OK Zotty.. this is your fav topic.

Corsair 570 X, HX750W Platinium PSU, Asus Stix Z270E Gaming motherboard, 500g M.2, 4TB HHD, i7-7700K, Fractal design S36

Im am using 6 HD 120 RGB fans, All 2 a pair of 4 core ribbon cable, 1 Cable has a Lockable SL Connector terminal. All 6 of those cables I have fed down to Corsair LED Light Hub. The other 4 core ribbon cable from 6 fans got to Commander Pro into Fan Headers No 1-6, which is in the same sequence as the cables going to Led Light Hub. All items in this build are brand new. One cable form the Light Hub has its own designated Sata power lead straight from PSU, the other cable goes to Com pro Led channel 1.

2 cables coming from top of Com Pro, 1 goes to Sata power, (I know this is live because its same cable that powers my HHD.

The other cable goes to USB 3.0 on header at bottom of motherboard. 4 Temp senses on headers going to various points in case.

Corsair Link is running and it picks up all 6 fans and according to Link they are flashing away like mad...only there not there dead.. The fan front bottom (No 1) is the only fan working.. I take it in turns to run all my fans through channel 1 just tpo ensure they are all working, which they are. I have 2 spare Lighting Hubs so I wire each one in a test. Still only fan No 1 working on all 3 light hub tests ?? Com Pro has a LED thats not made a flash for the past 8 hours. The New build starts ok runs like a dream Fans are running well although some are running faster than others (even next to each other.

Any Ideas mate ???

No sorry mate I don’t, but I uninstalled Corsair Link with a 3rd party uninstaller and managed to get 5 of my 6 fans running with RGB flowing out everywhere. I reinstalled Link and guess what ?.. They have all disappeared again. No sleep last night..I’m getting bloody annoyed with these goods. I have a good mind to RMA the bloody lot. Commander Pro, 7 HD120RGB fans, the PSU even the Case can go back !!!

• Corsair Employee

It honestly just sounds like you had bad luck and got a bad Commander Pro. Not a common problem by any stretch of the imagination, but even if one out of every 500 fails...well, someone always gets that one.

I'd recommend contacting customer service and letting us take care of this for you.

Hi Justin,

Thanks for getting back to me, I was under the impression that the Com Pro took charge of fan speed and Light node/hub looked after the LED's ?? My fan spin OK power up they go faster power down they slow. Its the LED's that Im having problems with ?? And Im 90% sure its Link software that's buggy....

Thanks

xl

I don't get this, I have stripped out the Com Pro & Lighting Hub. I have rechecked all of my fan and LED cables and connection terminals they are all A1. Then I went to a mates house and borrowed his Com Pro. Fitted it into my machine and exactly the same thing happened, the fans spin fine no problem, you can even adjust them using BIOS. The only fan to show any LED's is bottom front (No 1). Already tried 3 LED hubs today and problem persists so its not the hub.

I have disconnected Com Pro from power and reset it, I have rolled back the Firmware, updated all my drivers, made sure there isn't anything running that may be in conflict. and It still doesn't light up the other 5 fans.. Tomorrow I am going out to get a Light Node and set it up and run fans back to Com Pro using that. If that doesn't work its all going to be RMA'd. Getting a bit fed up now ...I never have this problem with Logitech stuff !!!

xl...out

• Corsair Employee

The diagnostic work you did with your friend is actually really helpful in diagnosing the issue.

It sounds like there's a bad LED in one of the fans.

Basically the way the LEDs in these work is like a strand of Christmas lights. If you have a bad LED, then the signal stops at that LED, and the rest of the LEDs on the chain don't get their instructions and don't light up.

You know, looking back through all the various posts about Commander Pro woes, LEDs not lighting, driver signing issues, firmware upgrades & down grades, Link upgrades & downgrades, I cannot remember a single case wherein the customer RMA'd his/her Commander Pro, got a new one, and reported that this solved the problem. In every case, it has ended up being software / firmware related.

I think the Commander Pro itself, from a hardware standpoint, is actually rock solid. I have managed to lock mine up a few times when sending instructions from SIV that are outside of the normal Corsair range, but it has always come right back up after a firmware re-blow. I also would not expect Corsair to worry about issues that only occur when commands are sent outside of what is possible with Link.

The only negatives I can think of that are Commander Pro Hardware related are:

1 - It seems to be fundamentally limited on how complex the LED lighting patterns can be. Hence the migration to a software based control system.

2 - The firmware has an arbitrarily low limit of how many LEDs can be addressed.

3 - The PWM driver seems to have problems with some non-corsair brand PWM fans (though this has been rectified for at least some fans like Noctua).

I still cannot find an example of the problem being a bad Commander Pro. Am I wrong on this?

The diagnostic work you did with your friend is actually really helpful in diagnosing the issue.

It sounds like there's a bad LED in one of the fans.

Basically the way the LEDs in these work is like a strand of Christmas lights. If you have a bad LED, then the signal stops at that LED, and the rest of the LEDs on the chain don't get their instructions and don't light up.

I hear what your saying Justin I really do, but yesterday morning I only had 1 fan working (Spinning+LED) that was on channel 1. So I de-rigged all the fans and tried the other 5 fans through the Commander Pro and Light hub all on channel 1 and every single one of them worked fine, I am very thorough to the point of OCD... I personalty do not think its the fans. The only common denominator is the software. I have used every single piece of Corsair Link software you have all the way from 4.0.077 to 49057. I have used a very good 3rd party uninstaller to completely clean the previous Corsair Link from my machine then I have rebooted, re-scanned and then installed the next version. I still have exactly the same problem that I started with. I have used 3 light hubs, 2 Commander Pro. I have in total 15 fans (only 6 in machine) I have ordered from Scan a brand new Commander Pro and I have also ordered a Light Node Pro to see if I can cure this problem another way...

Any advice from the people who designed and made these items very much appreciated.. Im just one of the mugs that buys and installs them.

BTW. I have a top spec £3400 machine sitting there that I cant use because of some dodgy £50 piece of.......bought from Corsair. I asked for an RMA number yesterday morning and I'm still waiting for a reply from Customer support...

Thanks

Deane

Justin ? Is your title correct ? Your the Product Manager for Corsair Link software ? Were you in charge of overseeing how this software was written and you obviously had to sign it off to say its all good ? Do you oversee the updates and the Firmware as well ??

Yeah the last and latest Link software and CLCP / CLNP firmware update release went so well that Corsair had to issue regression instructions and post links to the previous versions within a few days. Read through the sticky Link release thread at the top of the page and you will start to see what is going on with Corsair software /firmware.

I wish I could help you. There used to be a guy on this forum who is an expert on Link and it's many problems. He even reverse engineered all the control protocols and wrote a Link device control program that is much more powerful and efficient than Link. Sadly, Corsair banned him a few weeks ago. He would have had you straightened out in a few posts. Now you will have to rely on Corsair. Good luck.

Here is a link to a thread about this alternative Link control software (called SIV). It's a bit overwhelming at first glance but if you read down there is a (long) list of things SIV can do that Link can't.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=140665

One thing I will bet - It's a software and/or firmware issue - not hardware.

By the way - His name (Corsair Link Product Manager - not the banned Link expert) is Dustin, not Justin...

You know Speedy, I think you are correct. They are trying to blame complete failure of RGB lighting system on a dodgy LED.. I am seriously thinking about pulling this lot out and sending it back to Scan and getting my money back. The amount of Hardware I have stopped out and I’m still having problems it HAS to be a software issue...

Here is a typical Link new release thread. The 2nd post is from the Link expert. He kept a running list of known issues and every time they would release an updated version he would check his bug list to see what really got fixed. Usually it was not very much, and then there are the new bugs like LED brightness only works for values of 0, 33%, 66%, and 100%, fans will STOP if a fan curve results in any RPM value that is 256 or a multiple (has to do with lower byte being 0). These 2 are still unresolved AFAIK. Oh and don't try running Link 4.9 with HWINFO64 or AIDA64 because Corsair removed the SMB Buss interlock mutex so now query collisions happen causing all sorts of intermittent issues. This has been going on for YEARS (until they banned him).

I only use his utility - SIV - to control my Link hardware and it works flawlessly. I gave up on Link long ago. I don't even try new releases. No reason to.

Welcome to the truth. Enjoy.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=167913

Here is a typical Link new release thread. The 2nd post is from the Link expert. He kept a running list of known issues and every time they would release an updated version he would check his bug list to see what really got fixed. Usually it was not very much, and then there are the new bugs like LED brightness only works for values of 0, 33%, 66%, and 100%, fans will STOP if a fan curve results in any RPM value that is 256 or a multiple (has to do with lower byte being 0). These 2 are still unresolved AFAIK. Oh and don't try running Link 4.9 with HWINFO64 or AIDA64 because Corsair removed the SMB Buss interlock mutex so now query collisions happen causing all sorts of intermittent issues. This has been going on for YEARS (until they banned him).

I only use his utility - SIV - to control my Link hardware and it works flawlessly. I gave up on Link long ago. I don't even try new releases. No reason to.

Welcome to the truth. Enjoy.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=167913

Is the guy your talking about Red ray by any chance ? I have been reading loads of his posts... the man's a super geek, instead of banning him from what I can read they should employ him.

I am majorly disappointed with Corsair products and there software tbh. I always thought they were a solid company with good backup. Christ they charge enough, there gear isn't cheap and some of it is of outstanding quality, but the support is shocking.

I cant even get a reply to my post or the ticket I put in.....

I feel now I am going to find another solution to my cooling and lighting. Corsair you have let yourself down BADLY..

Deane

• Corsair Employee

Respectfully, I've replied to your threads every day. I can't sit here and monitor the forums 24/7. Every morning during the work week I come in, check the forum, do what I can, and then I go about managing products.

Ray was banned because while he was useful a lot of the time, he was also incredibly toxic. We've had users leave the forums because of him. Nobody gave - or received - more negative rep on the forums than he did. There was a lot that went on behind the scenes here that also contributed to us finally banning him.

We get back to tickets and forum posts within 24 hours. I'll ping customer service and have them look into your ticket.

And yes, my name is Dustin with a D, and I took over Corsair Link in March. I oversee software and firmware releases, but I didn't architect Link as it presently exists, I'm just responsible for fixing it.

Is the guy your talking about Red ray by any chance ? I have been reading loads of his posts... the man's a super geek, instead of banning him from what I can read they should employ him.

I am majorly disappointed with Corsair products and there software tbh. I always thought they were a solid company with good backup. Christ they charge enough, there gear isn't cheap and some of it is of outstanding quality, but the support is shocking.

I cant even get a reply to my post or the ticket I put in.....

I feel now I am going to find another solution to my cooling and lighting. Corsair you have let yourself down BADLY..

Deane

Yes I was referring to Red Ray. I see that Dustin has responded with some information about why Ray was banned. This is the first post since that has happened that I have seen anyone from Corsair actually acknowledge that it happened or offer any insight into why. All I know is he was suddenly banned with no explanation (until now).

It's not my place to get into the middle of that as it is between Red Ray and Corsair. All I know is the guy is brilliant and has a very deep understanding of Link, the hardware, software and firmware that make it all go. He helped many many people on this forum and it is frustrating to me when I read posts from people with problems that I know he could resolve.

That said, I see that Dustin and other Corsair reps are doing their best to respond to everyone which is a good thing. I just see a lot of advice that is basically like "Huh - that's weird. You must have gotten a bad one. RMA it and we will send you a new one."when I am 99.9% sure that the problem is not hardware based. Ray would know for sure but Ray is not available to us anymore so Corsair has to do their best to carry on, which they appear to be doing. I realize that does not solve your problem. Good luck whatever happens.

My apologise for not getting your name correct, that's the age and the eye sight. OK.. everything being said its time to sort out my Fan problems (Hopefully)

Does the Lighting Node Pro suffer from the same problems as the Lighting Hub and the Commander Pro ?

I have a new Commander Pro and Lighting Node coming today. Should I update any of the firmware on either or just leave then be ? Also what version of Link do you recomend I should use to run fans and now lighting strips ?

Should I d/l Link and then fit hardware or hardware first then d/l Link ??

Is there any order to connect up Commander Pro, Lighting Node, Fans, LED strips. in that order. USB TO MB then SATA power leads. OR just connect it all up and flick the switch ??? lol

Thanks

Deane

This is the first post since that has happened that I have seen anyone from Corsair actually acknowledge that it happened or offer any insight into why. All I know is he was suddenly banned with no explanation (until now).

its at least the 4th time admin have had to explain about ray along side the sticky that was put in 'general' the day he got booted... all's not lost as your over on his google support group anyways arnt you? ;)

anyways...

Hope you got sorted XL... be a shame to see you send that personalised 570x back dude....

My apologise for not getting your name correct, that's the age and the eye sight. OK.. everything being said its time to sort out my Fan problems (Hopefully)

Does the Lighting Node Pro suffer from the same problems as the Lighting Hub and the Commander Pro ?

I have a new Commander Pro and Lighting Node coming today. Should I update any of the firmware on either or just leave then be ? Also what version of Link do you recomend I should use to run fans and now lighting strips ?

Should I d/l Link and then fit hardware or hardware first then d/l Link ??

Is there any order to connect up Commander Pro, Lighting Node, Fans, LED strips. in that order. USB TO MB then SATA power leads. OR just connect it all up and flick the switch ??? lol

Thanks

Deane

i dont think there is any order dude.. cant recall how i did mine... but i did the wifes a few weeks back.. Commander pro.. strips and 6 fans... i just turned it off.. fitted all the items.. restarted and downloaded link.....

Archived