Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3000 C15 / 3200 C16

XG2703-GS

hello there. i'm building a system with a friend and we are curious to know the difference between the available sku. he mentioned something about b die so how can we see which is b die and what difference is there between the skus? lastly if i used the latency calculator correctly the 3000/cl15 and 3200/cl16 are just as quick so we are in a dilemma which memory to pick. the $15-20 difference is negligible to him he just wanna know what he is buying into. appreciate it fellas

3000mhz cl15 CMW16GX4M2C3000C15

3000mhz cl16 CMW16GX4M2D3000C16

3200mhz cl16 CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

3600mhz cl16 CMW16GX4M2K3600C16

• Corsair Employee

Hey XG2703-GS,

I assume if they are mentioning b-die it is for a Ryzen system. What board is going to be used? For most Ryzen systems, I'd probably suggest the 3200mhz kit. Though the lighting can be finnicky with detection depending on the BIOS. It's best to use a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6 and if that doesn't work then a AGESA 1.0.0.2 BIOS.

hello there. i'm building a system with a friend and we are curious to know the difference between the available sku. he mentioned something about b die so how can we see which is b die and what difference is there between the skus? lastly if i used the latency calculator correctly the 3000/cl15 and 3200/cl16 are just as quick so we are in a dilemma which memory to pick. the $15-20 difference is negligible to him he just wanna know what he is buying into. appreciate it fellas

3000mhz cl15 CMW16GX4M2C3000C15

3000mhz cl16 CMW16GX4M2D3000C16

3200mhz cl16 CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

3600mhz cl16 CMW16GX4M2K3600C16

Hi XG2703-GS

I'm personally getting a little disillusioned. I want to use Corsair memory really bad. I even asked basically the same question you've posed just last week and on the 'Contact Us' portal the week before that. The only answer I got is, and this is a paraphrase, that Corsair doesn't track which modules are Samsung b-die chips. My research shows about 99% reliability that the Corsair memory with these chips is version 4.xx. 3.xx is Micron and 5.xx is Hynix. This is from several sites that have tested and shown that the chips on the memory is Samsung b-die. Sometimes that's taking the heat-shielding off of of the memory, which I would rightfully think would void the warranty. Others say there is a program they can run that tells and have produced lists with print outs of what that shows. They even list many sticks that show no brand on the chips. I'm guessing this means they haven't tested those. Check your board manufacturer's QVC list for the memory they've tested. I'm thinking about getting a Gigabyte Z390 Pro board and downloaded the list for that board. It's 10 pages long in small font. Up to 85 modules per page. I'd say 35 to 45% have no brand listed for the chips. All but 2 of the Corsair models that say they are Samsung have 4.23, 4.24, or 4.31 listed next to the part number. There is another list that is smaller that shows if it is 4gb or 8gb and what the IC part number is. I'm beginning to believe/understand that there can be Samsung chips that aren't b-die. That would make perfect sense.

I really don't want to use something other than Corsair. But other brands don't have different versions of the same model number. That particular part number of their's is either Samsung b-die or it's not.

Even in a big metropolis like the Dallas/Fort Worth, there are few choices I can go to physically hold a box of the memory to see what version it is. I've gone to BestBuy for one model # that showed a ver. 4.xx possibility, but it was a 5.29. Hynix. Then I stopped in MicroCenter while on a work related sales call, and there's, for a different part number, was the same version number.

I wish Corsair would choose to be transparent with this. I'm not saying the Hynix chips aren't good chips. I'm going to guess the last 6 rigs I've built with Corsair memory were these, or even the Micron. But the testing reports I've seen say the Samsung chips are better for overclocking. In fact, it seems that's all the Ryzen CPUs would work properly with in the beginning. But it also seems there have been some software/bios updates on many of the boards that are correcting this issue.

Why not make a good/better/best selection in memory sticks? Let the consumer determine what they want to pay for? I mean you don't sell a Fiat 500 for the price of a Cadillac CTS-V. Many of us are willing to pay for what we want. I can't afford the top of the line, but I'd like to be able to get the best of what I can afford. And I want to know what I'm paying for. The Samsung b-dies may be more than I can afford right now. So be it. But I don't want to play the DDR4 lottery hoping I win and get the prized stick. How many people had to lose to have that recent billion dollar winner? Just my two cents.

Archived