Corsair Community

Buzz from transformers in Corsair PSU ???

misiak

Hi everybody, this issue is getting me crazy. Here's my story:

I bought HX1000i, connected everything, turned on and was really happy. Then during the night in the silent room (because I have almost noiseless system - 3x Noctua fans on 400 rpm in idle are inaudible) I realized something is making a very low electrical constant buzzing sound. So I turned OFF the PC and the buzz was still there! I put my ears to the case and the noise was louder. Then I put my ears on the metal case of PSU and here we go, TRANSFORMERS buzzing. Usually this is not a problem for 99% of people, but if you have a super silent PC you want to have super silent PSU. OK, I thought it was a bad luck so I've ordered RM750W instead and guess what, exactly the same buzz from transformers.

So, I told myself I will abandon corsair and bought Seasonic X 750W.... And ? The same buzzing as corsairs... Then I've read somewhere that transformers in corsairs are provided by Seasonic :) So I don't know what brand produce PSU with non buzzing transformers....

Now I'm asking myself, is there a PSU which is not making any noise in standby mode ??? With PC turned off ? Did I have just a bad luck with those 3 PSU ? I have an older Antec 520W and there is no buzzing whatsoever so this needs to be some manufacture flaw. I would love Corsair's PSU if even there is no such issue :(

• Corsair Employee
Then I've read somewhere that transformers in corsairs are provided by Seasonic

That is a blatant lie. I would like to know where you read that.

Are you absolutely sure the buzz is coming from the PSU? Could be coming from the motherboard or the graphics card.

Also, could just be a grounding issue. You need to make sure the PSU is grounded to the chassis (metal to metal) and that your AC socket is grounded as well.

Hi, thx for reply. Well, I read it somewhere that Corsair were made by Seasonic but maybe it was long ago. Anyway, This buzzing coming definitely from PSU because I took the PSU out of PC and plugged it in various socket in my household. Once you plug the power cord and switch the power on is started buzzing. Well, it's very quiet and you need to be very close to a PSU case. But if you put your ear on the metal case you can clearly hear that. My Antec 520W do not produce any noise so I think my socket are OK. In normal circumstances I would not care but I have totally quiet PC and during the night this buzz can be heard. I'm sure that 99% of user would not notice it but I'm in the 1% group :) But I've gave up, tomorrow I will receive EVGA 750W G2 and I would be very surprised if it not suffer from this buzz :)

Archived