Corsair Community

Is My PSU Dead or Alive?

PesimistzOmbie

Hello. My english bad sorry. I'm having problem with the corsair power supply and I do not understand the problem.

My pc specs;

- Asus Maximus V Formula z77 Mobo

- Intel i7 3770k Cpu

- Corsair 8Gb (2X4Gb) Vengeance 2133mhz Ram

- Nvidia GTX 660Ti Gpu

- Corsair HX650w

My problem;

I had no problem in 2 years with my pc. Last week my pc not wake up. Led lights always flashing on mobo. Psu and pc fans not turning.

I removed all hardware complete. I just tried the motherboard and psu. The problem continued.

I have successfully run the power supply with paper clip test and I suspect the motherboard. I searched but could not find a solution for the problem. I've tried a lot of things (bios update, bios reset etc)

I pull the power plug and waiting a few days. Testing again. Pc working successfully with this psu and passed all test/benchmarks but after the turn off the computer (on windows or pulling the power plug) problem is coming again.

Yesterday I did testing with different psu. My problem solved.

But

This psu working great with my other old pc (AMD Athlon X2 5600+ / Asus M2N). I don't understanding.

What does this mean?

Thanks for the answers.

@jonnyguru thank you for reply.

Both computers open and making benchmark test. New psu on z77 mobo, corsair psu on athlon mobo. It has been 10 hours. No problem. I tried to turn on and off a few times. No problem again.

But If i can testing corsair psu on z77 mobo problem is coming again.

I will try to measure the voltage with psu tester in a few days later.

Do you have another idea?

• Corsair Employee
The only reason a PSU would be incompatible with a motherboard is if the power good signal's timing is not in sync with the motherboard. But we usually only see that with very new motherboards and the problem is often addressed with whatever the newest BIOS is. But you said you already updated your BIOS. :(:

@jonnyguru thanks again.

I don't think incompatible because I'm using 2 years with this specs. My psu 5 years old. This problem has occurred newly.

Yes I'm upgrade my bios and no new bios.

Very frequent power outage in my city. I think my psu damaged and I suspected pg signal. I'm lucky this psu run old hardware. This is indication durability. :D

I will be writing results after making the measurement.

I opened the RMA request and approved. But shipment cost very high in my country (economic shipment $35 and deliver not guaranteed). For the first time I saw that should be paid for the rma shipping fee from customer. I'm unsteady. I have no money.

PSU Tester result here results interesting have not seen any problem there's something I missed?;

http://i.hizliresim.com/XBXPk7.jpg

• Corsair Employee

I said it before. The only reason a PSU would be compatible with one motherboard and not another is the power good signal. Your tester isn't the most accurate device out there, but it's saying the PG signal delay is 320ms which is WAY within spec (let's just say... damn perfect).

So something's wrong with the motherboard?

What's the PG signal reading of the other PSU?

• Corsair Employee

You can say Seasonic. Nobody is going to bite you. ;):

So, you see it's MUCH lower. And that can be the problem. Could be the motherboard doesn't want to wait 320ms for a power good signal. Might only want to wait 230ms.

Thing that sucks about the ATX spec... the signal can be anywhere between 100ms and 500ms and still be "in spec". That doesn't mean that it works.. that just means that it's "in spec". :(:

Archived