Corsair Community

CX600 replacement dead on arrival.

richac

I can't believe this. Corsair sent me a replacement PSU, i just finally installed because I was afraid to for a few months, and boy was I right to be worried. It just started smoking and then instantly died and now has 0 power.... I think they played a joke on me.

Their engineers at first would not even recognize the claim saying there was nothing wrong with the PSU. I have a dell machine and replaced my old psu because its fan was making noise sometimes. I bought a corsair cx-600 not realizing it was faulty out of the box until months later, when my pc got so bad it stopped posting, after it ruined a vid card I had to replace, and I put the old Dell PSU back in which solved all my issues.

They said their engineers saw nothing wrong with the PSU and that they were going to send it back to me!?!, I angrily responded back that their engineers must be frauds because my computer wouldn't even post with that PSU! A video card got ruined, and that my hdd started dying because of it, which I also had to replace. So they finally agreed to send me a new one and pay for a new hdd...... BUT, they did not send me back my bad video card that I put in the original claim and sent them. I think they might of got working firmware on it or fixed it and stole it from me. I didn't say anything about the video card, because I already replaced it and was unable to check the firmware to fix it on my mobo with only one slot, and because I thought they at least truly replaced my PSU and sent me money for a hdd.

So My old dell's psu fan started making noise again. and i figured I'd finally install the replacement corsair sent me, and wow. I'm speechless right now...... I don't know what to do. I think they stole my video card and purposely sent me back a bad PSU. It just feels so malicious. All I want is a good PSU, i paid 80 dollars for this one, bronze certafied and all, when what I really should of done is just got a Dell replacement. Corsair has cost me hundreds of dollars :(

Do I just put in another RMA? I've sent some emails, updated my old ticket that they abandoned. I don't know what else to do.

Sincerely,

Rich.

• Corsair Employee

Maybe there's something else wrong with your computer (i.e. a short, bad VRM, etc.) and the PSU is failing as a by-product.

I mean... consider the circumstances:

1. First PSU fails, but engineers find nothing wrong with it.

2. Replacement fails immediately.

I've seen this time and time again where the problem is a bad hard drive, bad video card, etc. but the PSU is always what people blame first. Of course, that doesn't explain why the Dell PSU worked, but also keep in mind that some Dells have proprietary power connectors.

Where did the smoke come from? The PSU itself or did one of the connectors get hot and started smoking?

There's nothing wrong with the product line. What's your ticket number? I didn't see a support account under your forum email address.

My old ticket was 6505608

The new ticket is now 6574655

Its actually the same part number as the old one but I couldn't find it in the list this time? I got an approved RMA label and I am going to mail it out tomorrow morning.

Maybe there's something else wrong with your computer (i.e. a short, bad VRM, etc.) and the PSU is failing as a by-product.

I mean... consider the circumstances:

1. First PSU fails, but engineers find nothing wrong with it.

2. Replacement fails immediately.

I've seen this time and time again where the problem is a bad hard drive, bad video card, etc. but the PSU is always what people blame first. Of course, that doesn't explain why the Dell PSU worked, but also keep in mind that some Dells have proprietary power connectors.

Where did the smoke come from? The PSU itself or did one of the connectors get hot and started smoking?

Yes but when I put in the Dell PSU i have no issues. That is the circumstance.... Dell says I can replace the PSU and many users have posted on the dell community forums PSU's they have installed in my model dell. studio XPS 7100/8100

The smoke came from the PSU itself. Right out of the fan vents inside the case. I was brave and tried to turn it on again, and it doesn't even have any power now, Its totally dead. Nothing not a single light comes on. I put back in the old Dell PSU, once again, and the pc is working no problem.

The first Corsair psu i got did not instantly smoke and die. But I kept having computer trouble for almost a year. Random black screens and computer freezes. I never suspected the PSU because it was brand new, it was during the holidays, and thought I had a virus I coudln't get rid of for the longest time lol. It gradually got worse, and I had to replace the vid card, but that didn't solve the problem. Finally the pc just stopped posting at all, after a year, which I believe damaged my hdd when it kept trying to spin up, and I decided to put back in, the over 3 year old Dell PSU, that i replaced due to fain noise, and haven't had trouble since. I've been using it for months now and no problem, afraid to put in the replacement corsair PSU, until recently.

I finally decided to put in the corsair replacement, because once again i was hearing the dell psu fan making noise, I did have my pc on for a couple days so I figured it best to take it out. and put the corsair in, and puff the corsair psu died in a cloud of smoke.

Corsair did give me money to replace my hdd which i've replaced, and I have a new video card, but they stole my old video card and gave me a faulty PSU. I assume it was done on purpose because I called their engineers frauds, when they told me they were going to send me back the same PSU that coudln't even post my pc anymore. I doubt the customer rep i was in contact with by email was in on it though, he was very understanding. Although maybe they gave me money for the hdd because they were stealing my video card. I don't know, lol, But this is just too crazy I've never had this happen to me or heard of anything like this.

• Corsair Employee

You have seen this time and time again? I wonder what twilight zone world you live in lol

Just read other posts in this forum...

but they stole my old video card and gave me a faulty PSU. I assume it was done on purpose because I called their engineers frauds. I doubt the customer rep i was in contact with by email was in on it though, he was very helpful. Although maybe they gave me money for the hdd because they were stealing my video card. I don't know, lol, But this is just too crazy I've never had this happen to me.

Take the tin foil hat off and get away from the conspiracy theories. The engineers at Corsair have access to any high end graphics card they want. So I seriously doubt they'd want to "steal" yours. Especially if it was presumably dead. Why not just try to find out if they forgot to ship it back or something instead of blaming people for theft... which is considered libel in some parts of the world.

Seriously.. I can understand the level of frustration after what you've been through, but do consider what you're saying and how others could perceive it.

Just read other posts in this forum...

Wouldn't that reflect bad on corsair? I build and fix alot of computers. And yes of course the first thing you blame is the PSU. And if changing the PSU doesn't fix the issue you know something else is wrong. I have a new vid card and hdd. and the computer runs fine with the Dell PSU.

Take the tin foil hat off and get away from the conspiracy theories. The engineers at Corsair have access to any high end graphics card they want. So I seriously doubt they'd want to "steal" yours. Especially if it was presumably dead. Why not just try to find out if they forgot to ship it back or something instead of blaming people for theft... which is considered libel in some parts of the world.

Seriously.. I can understand the level of frustration after what you've been through, but do consider what you're saying and how others could perceive it.

What other conclusion can I come to? They told me nothing was wrong with a PSU that wouldn't post my pc anymore after a year. They gave me money for a hdd but kept my video card. I never complained about that because it got corrupted and wasn't working for me. But I'm sure someone with the tools they have could easily fix the firmware on it and test it again...... I wasn't able to do so on my single slot mobo. Maybe they did just that, and thats why they gave me the money for the hdd.

And now I'm wondering if they just sent me back the same PSU i sent them. I'm going to see if I have the serial number on file.

EDIT: dam i never put the serial number in the original ticket, and the picture i have is not readable.

Maybe its just my bad luck, I don't know. But I don't blame ipads and android phones for a tanking pc industry. I'm sure you can understand my frustration.

• Corsair Employee
Wouldn't that reflect bad on corsair? I build and fix alot of computers. And yes of course the first thing you blame is the PSU.

How does that reflect badly on Corsair?

When a PC shuts down or reboots, people first assume the PSU. While that's a fair assumption, half the time it's the wrong assumption. In the past 20 years, I've responded to forum posts that claimed the PSU was bad that ended up being bad motherboard, bad video card, bad HDD, etc. and not an actual PSU problem. Thing is... PSUs are hard to properly test. That's why there are so few review sites that can properly review a PSU. Other parts are as easy as "well.. I have a picture on my monitor, so the problem can't be the video card."

What other conclusion can I come to? They told me nothing was wrong with a PSU that wouldn't post my pc anymore. They gave me money for a hdd but kept my video card. I never complained about that because it got corrupted and wasn't working for me. But I'm sure someone with the hardware they have could easily fix the firmware on it and test it again...... I wasn't able to do so on my mobo. Maybe they did just that, and thats why they gave me the money for the hdd.

What other conclusion? Maybe the video card wasn't properly recorded on the damage claim? Seriously... there's a document trail. And if it wasn't documented properly, the video card ends up in a bin somewhere... likely a trash bin. Chalk it up to human error and not a conspiracy. But while you "never complained" they never followed up. Now you're concerned, but who knows where your graphics card is now. I seriously doubt it's in some engineer's PC.

And now I'm wondering if they just sent me back the same PSU i sent them I'm going to see if I have the serial number on file.

You do that. I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's not even the same lot code.

How does that reflect badly on Corsair?

When a PC shuts down or reboots, people first assume the PSU. While that's a fair assumption, half the time it's the wrong assumption. In the past 20 years, I've responded to forum posts that claimed the PSU was bad that ended up being bad motherboard, bad video card, bad HDD, etc. and not an actual PSU problem. Thing is... PSUs are hard to properly test. That's why there are so few review sites that can properly review a PSU. Other parts are as easy as "well.. I have a picture on my monitor, so the problem can't be the video card."

Well i don't know what posts your referring to, they probably don't exist. Actually the first thing I would assume would be video drivers. Then i would assume the PSU. I mean smoke just came out of the PSU, and its dead, and you are debating me about this nonsense!?!?! I'm supposed to start thinking its my new vid card, my new hdd, or my mobo, when the other PSU works fine, and when this one died in a puff of smoke? lmao

What other conclusion? Maybe the video card wasn't properly recorded on the damage claim? Seriously... there's a document trail. And if it wasn't documented properly, the video card ends up in a bin somewhere... likely a trash bin. Chalk it up to human error and not a conspiracy. But while you "never complained" they never followed up. Now you're concerned, but who knows where your graphics card is now. I seriously doubt it's in some engineer's PC.

I'm only concerned because their replacement PSU just instantly died. Do you not understand my concern? I'm concerned that even though they gave me money for my hdd, they actually made money off of me and played me for a fool.

You do that. I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's not even the same lot code.

I don't even think it has a lot code. I never found one on the original PSU either.... Almost every bad review I see on newegg though seems to be a DOA. So maybe this is normal for this product line. I never entered the serial on the original ticket, and the picture I have is unreadable.

• Corsair Employee

Lot code is the first four digits of the serial number.

Corsair has sold tens of thousands of these PSUs, mostly through Newegg, and there are only 134 one egg reviews. Even if 100% of them are DOA's... doesn't matter.

There's apparently no reasoning with you. You want credit for your graphics card, reopen that ticket, respond to whomever you were in correspondence with, whatever. I'm done here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

700 reviews. 370 reviews with 5 stars. 135 with 1 star.

Almost all of those 135 1 star reviews are all DOA or dead in a week.

That correspondence on the original ticket was abandoned, I don't even think the ticket was ever closed. I had to contact customer service directly to complain about that and I never understood why. Although, I did make another post on it though the other day, explaining this new issue, I don't expect a response there. I've opened another RMA ticket. I have to chalk up the video card as a loss. Corsair got me good. I woudln't have been able to fix the video card myself anyways.

But your right the ticket is still there to provide a paper trail, and so is my emails. I only bring up the video card now, after the fact, because they sent me a PSU that died instantly, and I find that very suspicious. Especially now since you believe they sell thousands of them with no issues. Hopefully they don't give me trouble or I will indeed pursue it. Right now all I want is a working PSU.

The part number of the one I have is no longer listed though for a new ticket which I find interesting. Only newer part numbers.

But For you to blame another component in my computer, to try and debate me after I tell you the PSU went up in smoke and is totally dead, and another psu works fine, not only makes your reasoning the one thats flawed, but also very suspicious. Pass me my tinfoil hat.

• Corsair Employee

I said I was done, but...

733 reviews, but do you really think everyone that bought a CX600 came back to Newegg to review the product, good or bad? Fact of the matter is, MOST people that have a bad experience will review negatively while most that have a positive experience do not. You'll find that most product that have almost 1000 reviews or more have 10% or greater negative reviews. That doesn't mean 10% failure rate. Corsair product or anyone else, for that matter.

You can try to get your video card back or replaced or you can complain needlessly. Honestly, the choice is yours. Only thing is, one action is productive and the other is not.

And PSUs can fail for many reasons. But also, PSUs have protective circuitry that typically works. Typically, but not always. Some PSUs have more sensitive protective ICs than others, while others can either allow failure to other components or fail themselves depending on the circumstance. But I don't expect you to believe that. I'm not talking so much about your replacement PSU. It could truly be a bad unit. What I'm more concerned about is your completely paranoid assessment that Corsair engineers "stole" your graphics card and sent you back the same PSU because they "lied" and said it was good when it wasn't just to taunt you because you seemed like the kind of guy that need taunting. Yeah.. I know that's incredibly paraphrased, but as an outsider looking in, that's what this all seems like. You think that Corsair is going to waste their time, and your time, pretending that a defective product isn't defective, steal a graphics card that they really could care less about and then cover up the whole thing as if it never happened.

Oh so now that you realize there are actual reviews, your argument now is that not everyone reviews a product?

I'm doing both. Posting on forums and filing a ticket. I felt the need to post my experience here also, to get some feedback from other users, and to give a heads up on this product if someone googles. Maybe when all is said and done they will see that corsair made good on their word. Maybe they don't. I don't do actual reviews unless i have something really good, or really bad to say. It goes both ways. What happens is, newegg and amazon, and even microcenter where I bought this product, will send people emails for a review. Its not the same thing as forums, which are usually used for troubleshooting and complaints. I've been ignoring a review on this product for a long time now and I guess I might have to do one. I'm still hoping I just have bad luck, and corsair proves me wrong with a real product.

I'm not talking so much about your replacement PSU. It could truly be a bad unit. What I'm more concerned about is your completely paranoid assessment that Corsair engineers "stole" your graphics card and sent you back the same PSU because they "lied" and said it was good when it wasn't just to taunt you because you seemed like the kind of guy that need taunting. Yeah.. I know that's incredibly paraphrased, but as an outsider looking in, that's what this all seems like. You think that Corsair is going to waste their time, and your time, pretending that a defective product isn't defective, steal a graphics card that they really could care less about and then cover up the whole thing as if it never happened.

You paraphrased perfectly and thats exactly how I feel. Although minor correction, they lied about the bad PSU, because they are either incompetent or frauds, and because I stated this an email and in the ticket, Is the reason the sent me back either the same or an even worse PSU and stole my video card. I don't think the customer reps have anything to do with it. Just the engineers.

• Administrators
I'm concerned that even though they gave me money for my hdd, they actually made money off of me and played me for a fool.
How is that possible? Video cards decline regularly since new cards come out every 6 months, not to mention that we paid for shipping to get your items to us to test ?

The part number of the one I have is no longer listed though for a new ticket which I find interesting. Only newer part numbers.
All part numbers ever made are listed on the support site. Your new ticket was for Product Series "CX - Semi-Modular" (You selected the CX600M). The first ticket is for a PSU that falls under Product Series "CX - Non-Modular" (You selected the newest CX600). That's why you can't find it - you're looking in the wrong place.

I've forwarded your original ticket to our damage claims department (and linked to this thread) so that they can help you with your questions regarding said ticket.

How is that possible? Video cards decline regularly since new cards come out every 6 months, not to mention that we paid for shipping to get your items to us to test ?

I first though my issue was video card related, and I think something happened when installing drivers, either from power failure or incorrect drivers or firmware. I didn't have a mobo with onboard, or with dual gpu slots to try and flash it back, so I ended up replacing it and chalked it up as a loss. Either because of the PSU, or my error in thinking it was a gpu problem when it was really the psu all along. I was thinking maybe an engineer was able to flash it back to life and kept it or sold it for corsair...lol

All part numbers ever made are listed on the support site. Your new ticket was for Product Series "CX - Semi-Modular" (You selected the CX600M). The first ticket is for a PSU that falls under Product Series "CX - Non-Modular" (You selected the newest CX600). That's why you can't find it - you're looking in the wrong place.

oh wow ok ty for your reply. That explains it.

I've forwarded your original ticket to our damage claims department (and linked to this thread) so that they can help you with your questions regarding said ticket.

I appreciate it. I'd be surprised if they reply to that ticket though. I printed out the RMA for the new ticket, and was going to send the unit back tomorrow. Should I just wait for a reply first?

Data can get corrupted. Video cards can't. If there was a physical issue with the card, consider it dead.

Well i have seen cases with video card firmware getting corrupted. But being able to flash it back to life from a mobo with two video card slots. I didn't have that option or knew anybody with the necessary hardware, so I just replaced it. Here is another method i just found with a quick google search http://www.overclock.net/t/593427/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-graphics-card-fix-a-failed-bios-flash

Corsair admitted the video card was not working, but they said it was not the fault of the PSU, because they claimed the PSU worked fine, even though it wouldn't post my machine anymore. There was no physical damage that could be observed on the video card, and Even if the video card was corrupted because of my own error, and not a hardware failure during its update process, I still blame it on the PSU, which caused my missed diagnosis and my attempt to update it in the first place. And they should of sent it back to me regardless.

Is it common practice to just throw my product I sent them in the trash can and not send it back to me? I doubt that. The more I talk about it the more I'm getting upset.

But Right now I'll give corsair the benefit of the doubt and all I want is a working PSU> I just don't understand how i can have such bad luck.

Should I use the new RMA ticket number to ship the psu back, or should I wait for a reply? This one is totally dead there is no way they can say its working.

Corsair has replied to my ticket.

They didn't mention the video card, and neither did I. I feel its my own fault for getting robbed. It still leaves a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

But hopefully I at least get a working unit finally, They said they will send me a prepaid shipping label which I'm waiting on. Crossing my fingers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived