Corsair Community

LL120 Fans - Quiet Mode anything but Quiet

Deplorable

I am new to the corsair fans and really monitoring fan speed. I just did a new build and by no means am I an expert. I might build once every 3 or so years. This time around I did mostly corsair and msi.

I have 4 corsair LL120 RGB fans in myOdsidian 500d se RGB. The three it came with mounted on the front for intake and I added one on the reaf for exhaust. All 4 are connected to the commander pro.

In default mode in ICUE I have all 4 fans on quiet mode. But they are LOUD!

In quiet mode with no Load on the CPU (i9-9900k) the CPU Idles about 36c and the 4 fans bounce between 1250 RPM tro 1450 RPM. And 1200 you can hear them, at 1400 they are humming pretty good and make alot of noise.

Is this normal for these fans? they are definately the loudest I have had in a case.

In comparison I also have the H115I Platinum RGB Radiator top mounted with the two default ML120 fans. In ICUE on the default profile I also have them in quiet mode and the pump in quiet mode. Those fans at the same time run about 650-700 RPM and the Pump about 2400-2500 RPM. I don't think I can hear noise coming from them, it definately seems to be the LL fans.

It just seems like a wild variance where the ML ar running under 700 RPM and the LL over 1400 RPM on the same default profile.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Quiet Mode with the Commander Pro and the cooler use two different control variables. It's coolant temp for the cooler and CPU temp for the C-Pro. CPU temp is not a good case fan control variable under most circumstances, but there is something wacky with Quiet mode and it has been going rogue here and there for a while. I would suggest you not use any of the C-Pro preset curves. After all, it is a rather capable fan controller. No need to waste it on brainless presets.

In the Performance Tab for the Commander Pro, hit the + symbol to make a new "custom cooling mode" (this can be renamed). Just above the graph, you can choose a "Sensor" choice in the drop down menu. For a simple quick fix, I would suggest you either use coolant temperature like the Platinum (H115i Temp) or GPU temp if that is more dominant piece of hardware. If you mostly have CPU based loads with little to moderate GPU load, you can use coolant temp and a nice gentle curve. The CPU cooler fans will not be restricted by a lack of strong intake airflow in most cases. If your 1080 gets a lot of work, then that will be the main heat source and you can set case fan intake and exhaust levels to match. You can also assign these things individually and there is no limit to the number of curves you create.

Archived