Corsair Community

Strafe RGB Cherry MX Blue Bottom Keys not working and Random Key Inputs

AlfA01

I started my PC yesterday and everything was working fine. I went out and did some outside work and then returned to use the PC about one hour later. I clicked the Start to put the PC to sleep and it randomly started inputting characters "VBNM<>,?" in random patterns in the Search Windows box. I didn't have time to deal with it at the moment, but I sensed there was possibly a stuck key, as the PC would not stay in Sleep mode. It would randomly turn on as if a key was depressed or the mouse was clicked.

Last night I logged on to the PC and found that the entire lower row of keys was not working (Z-? on US or QWERTY keyboard layout). I cleaned under the keys and realized that nothing was physically wrong with the keyboard. I plugged in my old keyboard and everything works fine, unless both keyboards are plugged in simultaneously. The Corsair will cause the old keyboard to input capitals when CAPS LOCK is OFF. If CAPS LOCK is ON it also inputs in capitals.

So, I disconnected my Strafe and started searching the net. I see that many folks with the K65, K70 and K95 are having similar problems. I didn't have CUE installed previously. I downloaded it in hopes of resolving the problem with an update. My Strafe does not have a BIOS switch as other models do. Also, I noticed that the keyboard was inputting shortcuts with my browsers. Randomly when clicking the icon for Chrome, a new browser window would open every time I clicked the icon. The same happened every time I clicked a link or clicked back on the browser. Also, my mouse scroll would not work. After unplugging the Strafe several of these input anomalies persisted until after a PC Restart. After the Restart, everything works normally without the Strafe plugged in.

As soon as I plug in the Strafe, I'm getting "HOT KEYS" windows, random keystroke inputs and "Sticky Keys" windows generated at random. Plus, the lower row of keys does not work on command, but will randomly input characters without user interface.

The colors and ability to change colors work normally without issue. I have tried every USB slot on the MB, including USB 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1--all have the same results. The keyboard is less than one year old. I didn't install any updates between the time the Strafe worked normally and the time it started malfunctioning. Last system update was about a week ago.

Thanks in advance for help/advice to resolve the issue.

Update. Unplugging the Strafe and holding ESC while reinserting the USB plug gave a momentary fix. The keyboard worked flawlessly for about 10 seconds and then started to misbehave again. I guess this is supposed to Reset the firmware.

It appears that my primary issue is one of the Shift key inputting constantly. I removed the buttons and checked/ cleaned everything and no results.

Contact customer service and see whether they can help.

https://support.corsair.com/

e.g. Hard reset or a replacement keyboard via warranty.

Tried the keyboard on another computer? Do the keys still randomly spam?

Yes, I did try it on my wife's Win 10 laptop. Again, it worked great for about 10 seconds and the it starting spazzing out and spamming letters from the top row "euppue", etc. I'm going to see what Corsair's warranty covers. I'm not sure if I'm still covered. It's a shame, because the thing has been really lightly used at best. I'm away from the house all day so I only use the PC a couple of hours daily, and many times the Strafe is not even being used, as I'm either YouTubing or browsing. Definitely now what I had expected from such an expensive product. :mad:

Sounds like the keyboard will need to be replaced. Go ahead and respond back to your ticket, and our Technical Support should be able to help you with the replacement.

I'm having trouble logging in to Corsair. I've tried unsuccessfully to update my password for the last week. I'm not sure why, but I keep getting "SOMETHING WENT WRONG. PLEASE TRY SUBMIT AGAIN." message no matter what password I attempt to change to.

How can I reply back to the Support Ticket System otherwise? :confused:

• Corsair Employee

If you're having issues logging into the support portal, you can call in to our customer service department, and they can assist you with resetting your password. You can also call in toll free with Skype to the number below:

Toll Free: (888) 222-4346

• 5 weeks later...

I was able to get a return authorized for the keyboard. I mailed it in on the 21/12/2017 and am waiting for Corsair to send a replacement.

I have contacted the Support Ticket System many times in the last week or so and have not gotten a response. Anyone else having problems with Support contacting them?

Also, I've read on several posts that the Cherry MX Blue was being phased out. Is this true? If so, it could be the reason for my replacement being delayed.

Cheers,

Dan

At this point, I'd be happy if Corsair would just respond and let me know what is happening. The last time they answered a message I wrote on my Support Ticket was before Christmas. I'm basically in limbo at this point. :(: :confused: :[pouts:

At this point, I'd be happy if Corsair would just respond and let me know what is happening. The last time they answered a message I wrote on my Support Ticket was before Christmas. I'm basically in limbo at this point. :(: :confused: :[pouts:

I was gifted a Corsair keyboard and mouse recently, haven't even owned the keyboard for a month and I have this weird issue with not being able to use any game controllers while the keyboard is plugged into ANY USB slot on my system UNLESS I disable CUE/all the HID drivers the keyboard installs, which eliminates all but the basic functionality of the keyboard. The keyboard is not even a month old, and I posted a detailed thread about the situation in the forum a few days ago with no official response so far.

Needless to say, my opinion of Corsair/Corsair peripherals has been knocked down a few notches and I honestly doubt I will patronize the brand in the future.

• Corsair Employee
I was gifted a Corsair keyboard and mouse recently, haven't even owned the keyboard for a month and I have this weird issue with not being able to use any game controllers while the keyboard is plugged into ANY USB slot on my system UNLESS I disable CUE/all the HID drivers the keyboard installs, which eliminates all but the basic functionality of the keyboard. The keyboard is not even a month old, and I posted a detailed thread about the situation in the forum a few days ago with no official response so far.

Needless to say, my opinion of Corsair/Corsair peripherals has been knocked down a few notches and I honestly doubt I will patronize the brand in the future.

Which controllers are you connecting when this issue happens? Are you using Steam?

Which controllers are you connecting when this issue happens? Are you using Steam?

As I mentioned in my main thread detailing the problem - this occurs with both my 360 and Steam controller (I had initially thought it was just a problem with my Steam controller so I swapped in the 360 receiver), and even when Steam and CUE are both closed, the control panel for viewing controls will lock up unless I unplug the keyboard/disable all "consumer HID" devices EXCEPT game controller HID device, and if it is locked up it will instantly become responsive the second I unplug/disable the HID devices in Device Manager. It does not matter where I plug the keyboard/controllers into, any USB port on my machine, or the separate powered hub, the controls/anything to do with controls (the panel/games that query the controller) become unresponsive UNTIL I unplug/disable these devices.

Archived