Corsair Community

Critical Failure of Corsair Utility Engine Renders Keyboard Useless

Yukimi

So today when I turned my computer, my Corsair Utility Engine decided to alert me that there was a Firmware update available for my Corsair K95 RGB. I of course told it to install without hesitation, left the computer alone for a while and came back to everything finished.

So of course my RGB Profile is totally messed up and set back to default but no big deal, it does this all the time for no reason really, usually just takes a system restart.

So I system restart, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit btw, At this point the Keyboard is still not working correctly, so I open the Corsair Utility Engine to manually force it over to my lighting profile. Well the CUE now for whatever reason will not open the profiles tab. The other 3 worked fine, however Profiles just remained a useless batch of text in the program and the link never worked.

Oh wait, I'm using CUE 1.2.xxx let's check if that's out of date. Oh hey it was, easy solution, download the new driver and no problem. So it's downloaded, unzipped, run the CorsairUtilityEngineSetup.Mui_Release etc. from the zip file and go to install the new version and I'm told: the older version of corsair utility engine cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

????

Well ok, let's go to Windows and uninstall the program, oh wow what is this?

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder contanting the instannaltion package 'Corsair Utility Engine - v 1.2.77.msi' in the box below.

Well this file no longer exists, it hasn't existed on the computer since the initial installation of the CUE back in November of 2014 when I bought the keyboard, because this is the exact same file as the 'Corsair Utility Engine - v- 1.5.108.msi' that is sitting in my ZIP FOLDER CORSAIR THAT YOU HAD ME JUST NOW DOWNLOAD.

WHY ON EARTH DO YOUR PROGRAMS REQUIRE THE USER TO KEEP THE INSTALLATION MSI FILE ON THE HARD DRIVE THAT WE INSTALL YOUR CUE FROM THAT IS IN YOUR ZIP FOLDER WE GET FROM YOUR SERVER?

The answer to my problem is a I need an actual 'Corsair Utility Engine - v 1.2.77.msi' on my hard drive in order to uninstall the program that isn't even functioning properly and can't run for more than 2 minutes for some reason without crashing since I updated the firmware of the keyboard this morning.

How could you possibly fail so wholeheartedly at your program that runs this thing that I can't even uninstall it from my computer, I can't update it, I can't do anything with this keyboard now but use it as a paperweight until I format my C Drive and start from scratch because you decided to program it this way.

Now, assuming I'm mistaken, which I am assuming in writing this so angrily, because there is no possible way this is actually the only solution, and if it is, here is the flagship model for why Corsair should hire me as a programmer to fix this for them within a month. So please, show me where I am user illiterate and can fix this. This $200 keyboard is the literal favorite piece everyone who sees this computer points out, it is now in my closet as it WILL NOT WORK WITH MY COMPUTER until CUE is back on the computer and it currently is a broken Version 1.2 because of your firmware update that won't run for longer than 2 minutes or even let me access the profiles tab, or it's a version 1.5 installer that can't install because 1.2 cannot be removed from the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

Fixes it fully however as per usual. Ultimately this is a Corsair issue, not a Microsoft Windows problem.

You know better than ask the user to keep an installation .msi file on their Hard Drive for uninstallation 5 years down the road. The 'majority' downloads to their computer and never clean it, never look at the downloads folder, have no understanding of the difference between installing and downloading.

'We' however, the consumer that is spending $150-$200 on a keyboard that lights up funny, however do.

• Corsair Employee
I don't understand how system corruption of the files is our fault or how we could have prevented it in any way possible. You don't need an older version of the software to uninstall anything. I know you're frustrated but what you posted was misplaced anger at an issue that CUE didn't cause.

Theres never been a program that cant be deleted or uninstalled,if it refuses then its obviously using those resources.,As a last resort safe mode can be used,hence one of the reasons safe mode was implemented.

Honestly rather than blatantly criticize things,it would really be more beneficial to have mods/users here help you to work this out...

Archived