Corsair Community

Unable to set stable settings for CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11R

Tharayman

Have been memtesting for a couple days now, trying to get my system stable. The longest I have managed to keep my memory stable in Memtest is a little over 5 hours. I do not have extensive knowledge in this field so it`s pretty much just trying and failing...

Would very much appreciate some advice on timings and all the other stuff involved, so I can have my memory as stable as possible!

The I-5's are not the greatest of overclockers as far as memory overclocking goes. And that is what you are trying to do. Run your RAM from a MAX supported frequency of 1333mhz to 2133mhz. Even though your MB supports faster memory, those frequencies are HIGHLY CPU dependant. And that is a pretty huge overclock for that CPU.

If a BIOS update and enabling XMP does not do the trick, try lowering your frequency to 1866mhz and retest. You can also run CPUZ and look at the SPD tab to see if there is a set of timings to use for that frequency. There should be. If not just use the timings on the sticks, but manually adjust the frequency to 1866mmhz.

If they are stable at 1866mhz then you have a CPU that just wont overclock to 2133mhz. If it is still not stable we'll go further into testing.

Started memtest before I went to work this morning using 1.57 volts. 100mhz bclk 2133mhz 11 -11 -11 - 27 and everything else in auto 3million errors by the time I got back from work^^

Just enabled X.M.P now, It set the frequency to 2133mhz and timings to 11 - 11 -11 -30 and "Dram command mode" to 2. All other settings are still in auto.

Will try memtest again

Thanks for the feedback :)

Edit: My Bios is already the latest.

No errors after 2 1/2 hours of memtest! Will do a longer testing tonight.

However when I entered Windows again the computer froze after 3 seconds 5 times in a row. No BSOD, just froze. Don`t know if this is hardware-related? Worked perfect in Safe mode.

However when I open CPU-Z it says that my DRAM frequency is 666mhz with the timings 9-9-9-24 Wich is the Jedec #3 SPD

WTF?

No errors after 2 1/2 hours of memtest! Will do a longer testing tonight.

However when I entered Windows again the computer froze after 3 seconds 5 times in a row. No BSOD, just froze. Don`t know if this is hardware-related? Worked perfect in Safe mode.

However when I open CPU-Z it says that my DRAM frequency is 666mhz with the timings 9-9-9-24 Wich is the Jedec #3 SPD

WTF?

Sounds like the memory has defaulted to 1333mhz. Back to stock, and im sure why that is why have no errors at this time. Are you sure the XMP profile is or was saved after you changed it in your BIOS?

Can you post a pic of CPUz memory tab

XMP settings was saved, but somehow changed by itself during my unsuccesfull attempts to use Windows^^ Memory failed after 3 passes @ DDR2133 11-11-11-30 (XMP defaults) this night. Will start again with DDR1866 before I go to work. I`ll get you all the pictures you need when I get back home :)

1866 11-11-11-30 failed after 6 passes... Dram command mode is set to 2. What is this setting?

My computer continues to freeze 5 seconds after logging into windows and CPU-Z doesnt show much info in safe mode. You think my windows-innstall corrupted? I mean, it works in safe mode but not in regular mode... Failing RAM has already killed it 3 times this week. But at those incidents I have gotten BSOD

Got tired of getting nowhere so I put in 2x4GB XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 I have borrowed from a friend. Set them to 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

Everything works like a dream now. Could my own modules be genuinely ****ed off the factory line?

Did you test each module by itself? That would point out a faulty stick pretty quick.

Got tired of getting nowhere so I put in 2x4GB XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 I have borrowed from a friend. Set them to 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

1600mhz is a far cry from 2133. And a whole lot easier on your CPU. Did you try your modules at 1600mhz?

Okay! My case number is: 4887933

So Ramguy will change the model name? All the other info I entered is correct.

I know for a 99% fact now that the module(s) are faulty. I managed to get my hands on the exact same set and tried it. 9 passes in memtest with "sticker" frequency and timings. No errors, no bluescreens, no problems :)

A great relief to get assured that it`s not my MB or anything else that were faulty :)

Archived