Corsair Community

Only half of ram is usable

ssatrams01

Hi, I just got done building a system and the windows info says that there is 16gb of ram, 7.9 (effectively 8) usable.:confused: I already ran the bios upgrades on the mobo, did the advanced,boot tab,clear the memory,ok, restart; I have tried everything to get the 16gb to work. the mobo as well recognizes there is 16 gigs on four sticks, but still i only have 8 availiable. is there a device driver for the ram cards that I am missing somewhere?

The motherboard book said that there are only certain kinds of ram that can be used with the socket am3+ processor. The ram I have is the wrong kind. the ones I will have to change them out for are the Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance 8GB PC15000 DDR3 RAM at 1866 mhz as opposed to the 1600 mhz ones I have now. These, interestingly enough, are the only ones listed in the book as being 8gb(2x4) well, it'll definitely be faster. Thanks for the help though. I saw that the max memory for my win is 16gb (home prem 64) so were in the clear. thanks again.

ssatrams01, that makes no sense whatsoever. It should support 16 GB @ 1600 MHz just fine.

One thing though, are you combining two 8 GB kits to get to 16 GB?

Yes, there are four dimm slots the board will support 32 gb ram. my processor is an am3+ type and the approved vendors list for that particular config. are different than if I was just using an am 3 or so forth. the ones I have are fine for a different processor, just not this one. (amd fx 4100 processor) the specs all point to an 1800mhz stick being the lowest. this is just about the only solution I can see left. both sets of sticks on the mobo are the same, ordered at the same time. (cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b, both boxes say the same thing)(the total is 4x4gb for 16gb total)

I think you're going the wrong way here. AMD has a hard time supporting 4 slots at 1600mhz+. Have u tried running it at 1333mhz with everything on auto. U may have said this already, but im to lazy to re read everything. Intel ftw :biggrin:... And try what I said I have 2 seperate 3x2gb kits and if the one kit is in slots 1 3 5 and the other in 2 4 6 it only shows 8gb in windows but if I switch tye kits it runs flawless full 12gb in windows. Dont know why, but this is the problems you face for not buying a 4x4gb kit. May not fix ur problem, but worth a shot.

Sir, thank you. I did the switch 1/3 to 2/4 and 2/4 to 1/3 and I now have 16gb of ram. You were absolutely right. I am definitely man enough to admit it when I was wrong. I didn't think that the swap would have any effect, but it has. Thank you sir. (I assume "sir"):D:

Archived