Corsair Community

Force GT 480 GB not detected

Hyrules

Hi,

I just bought a corsair force gt 480GB Sata 3 and i'm trying to install it on my pc. I have a rampage III extreme and I know that I won't reach max speed but that's only part of my question.

I'm having trouble detecting it with my motherboard. I have tried pluggin it in the sata 3 port and in the sata 2 ports while unplugging every disk. The bios is also setup as AHCI and latest version.

I have also tried the SSD in my laptop which is a Sony VAIO bought new last year and it's not detected.

Can I assume that the drive is defective / DOA ?

Also since my current mobo is working fine I was wondering if someone had a recommendation for a SATA 3 card PCI-E 2.0 that would give me the speed that the drive can handle ?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT : I forgot to mention that I find the drive quite hot to the touch. The temp on the backplate was around 53ºC.

Hi Hyrules

As you say, your SSD look to be DOA

YOU could ask for a RMA, but as you SSD sould be brand new.

You sould exchange with store it will be a faster.

And for a PCIE 2.0 card, you have to buy a 8x controller minimum

As PCIE 2.0 maximum speed is 500MB/s, but in reality u get around 450MB/s with a controller that have a PCIE 1X as interface. Your Marvell 9128 on your rampage III extreme will never get the 550MB/s ove your force gt 480GB.

So like a say u nead a controller with at a PCIE 8X interface minimum. Me a but a Highpoint 2720SGL controller and get very imprescive speed. Up to 2850MB/s with 6 force gt 120bg in raid 0 and got 573MB/s with 1 SSD with a latancy ove 0.03ms.

You could see more on my post

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109364

Hope this help

Sincery yours

Thanks for the tip it does indeed seems DOA. Now I have it hooked on my USB superspeed dock and it's playing detected and not on windows hearing the ding dong detection song ever 2 or 3 seconds. The backplate also read 58ºC on my laser thermometer. I have bought the drive online so no other choice than RMA.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I have my new 480 and it's working fine now. I have also bought a Highpoint 2720SG and installed it on my motherboard. My speed is now 400 MB/s I was wondering if it is supposed to be higher than that since it is supposed to be around 545 and 490 ? I have installed the latest firmware on the 2720 and the Force as well.

Archived