Corsair Community

Help with Maximus Extreme

Robodoc

My system has been stable for about a year running patriot 1333 MHz memory. But you know how it is, I wanted to OC my system. So I bought a 2 x 2Gb kit from OCZ rated at 1800Mhz. After 2 weeks of forum support, trying to get the ram to run at 1800MHz, a moderator said the Maximus Extreme Mobos have been having trouble running at that frequency. Not believing them, I bought the corsair twin3x2048-1800C7DF kit. I can't seem to get them running at 1800 either. In fact, they are only stable in the "auto" setting in bios. By now you've probably figured out that I'm a noob at OCing. But I do know my way around the bios. I think I've been pulled in so many directions by different experts that I don't know which way is up at this point. At this point, I'd be happy running the corsair sticks at 1600 MHz. Can anyone help? The numbers that aren't stable are:

FSB 450

Multi 7

FSB Strap 200

Dram Freq DDR3-1800

Dram Rate T2

Timings Manual 7-7-7-20

Row Refresh Cycle Time 60

Dram read control disabled

Dram dynamic write disabled

transaction boost disabled (2)

VOLTAGES

CPU auto

PLL 1.52

NB 1.49

DRAM 1.96 (I'm told this mobo overvolts by .04)

FSB Term 1.42

SB 1.1

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Insert a single stick in the First White Slot (Closest to the CPU). Load setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Load these values:

Extreme Tweaker 

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual 
OC From CPU Level Up : Auto
CPU Ratio Control : Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 7
FSB Frequency : 450
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1600
DRAM Command Rate : 2N
DRAM Timing Control: Manual 
CAS# Latency : 7
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 7
RAS# Precharge : 7
RAS# ActivateTime : 20
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Transaction Booster : Disabled

CPU Voltage : 
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.5v 
North Bridge Voltage : 1.40v
DRAM Voltage : 1.9v
FSB Termination Voltage : 1.250v 
South Bridge Voltage : 1.05v 
Loadline Calibration : Enabled
CPU GTL Reference : .63x
North Bridge GTL Reference : .67x
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : REF
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : REF
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DRR2-REF 
SB 1.5V Voltage : 1.50v 
NB LED Selection : NB Volt 
SB LED Selection : SB Volt 
CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt 
Voltiminder LED : Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled 

[b]Advanced CPU Configuration[/b] 

CPU Ratio Control : Manual 
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 7 
C1E Suppport : Disabled
CPU TM Function : Disabled
Vanderpool Technology : Disabled  (Enabled if you Run VMs)
Execute Disable Bit : Enabled 
Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled  

USB Configuration 
USB Functions: Enabled 
Legacy USB Support : Enabled

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Shut down and insert the second stick in the last DRAM Slot (White). Retest.

Results?

1) What's the difference between the white and blue ram slots?

2) Your recommended settings for CPU Voltage is blank. Should I set to auto?

3) Why set the DRAM voltage at 1.8V when the sticker on the memory says 2.0V. Another thing that you probably already know, this mobo supposedly overvolts the ram by .04V.

4) DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DRR2-REF...mine will say DDR3, right?

5) What is VMs (vanderpool tech)?

Thanks for the help. I'll try the settings and memtest like you said.

BTW...LOVE YOUR RIG!!!!

1) What's the difference between the white and blue ram slots?

2) Your recommended settings for CPU Voltage is blank. Should I set to auto?

3) Why set the DRAM voltage at 1.8V when the sticker on the memory says 2.0V. Another thing that you probably already know, this mobo supposedly overvolts the ram by .04V.

4) DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DRR2-REF...mine will say DDR3, right?

5) What is VMs (vanderpool tech)?

Thanks for the help. I'll try the settings and memtest like you said.

BTW...LOVE YOUR RIG!!!!

There is a stability that can be found in the further distanced DRAM slots in overclocked systems. We are trying to find stability/speed and are not running at speeds that should need 2.0v as that is a maximal for those modules. Yes, I know of the overvolt. Nvidia chipsets pretty much all overvolt. Yes, DDR3-REF. Vanderpool technology is virtualization. (google it) :):

I ran at least 2 passes on all tests. The first stick I put into the closest white socket to the cpu. It had 2 errors on test #6. I'll call that stick, stick #1. I then put stick #2 into the furthest white socket and it passed with no errors. So to rule out a mobo socket problem, I inserted stick #2 into the closest white socket to the cpu. It passed with no errors. In the final test, I inserted stick #1 (the one with errors) into the furthest white socket from the cpu and had 1 error.

So, should I RMA the kit? Or were your numbers just pushing the ram beyond its limits? I purchased them from Newegg about a week ago, I think they have a 30 exchange policy.

One thing I failed to mention about this memtest and the previous memtest. With your recommended settings, I was only able to select DDR3-1441. The next step up was DDR3-1801. So both of these memtests were done at 1441 MHz. My NB Voltage setting only has 1.41 not 1.40 and the FSB Termination only has 1.26 not 1.25. Would any of this make a difference in the test results?

I guess I'll start the RMA process.

Signed,

I am not worthy:praise:

One thing I failed to mention about this memtest and the previous memtest. With your recommended settings, I was only able to select DDR3-1441. The next step up was DDR3-1801. So both of these memtests were done at 1441 MHz. My NB Voltage setting only has 1.41 not 1.40 and the FSB Termination only has 1.26 not 1.25. Would any of this make a difference in the test results?

I guess I'll start the RMA process.

If you find errors on a single stick with those values, then yes, the RMA is the route to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran memtest with the following settings that you gave me a few weeks ago.

Multi 7.0

FSB 450

Strap 333

DDR3-1441

2T

7-6-6-16

Trans Boost Dis (2)

VOLTS

CPU Auto

PLL 1.5

NB 1.41

DRAM 1.8

Termination 1.26

SB 1.05

CPU GTL .63x

NB GTL .67x

SB 1.5V 1.5

Ran each stick through five loops of memtest with no errors!

Is it going to be possible to get this ram to run at 1800MHz with a slight OC of the CPU? What settings would you recommend?

System runs great. Thanks for your help and insight! You are a GOD and I am not worthy. :praise: Here are my numbers. I'm sure I could get more out of this rig, but for now I'm happy. If you see anywhere you think I could get more speed, let me know.

IMG_0878.thumb.jpg.96bd302edda6ce3c696c2d1479d8371e.jpg

IMG_0879.thumb.jpg.5369e327825c32197c9ab6bd528f8dda.jpg

IMG_0880.thumb.jpg.b48e711fcb9f9bfb426023fb48d26306.jpg

IMG_0882.thumb.jpg.191a6b7c8d6ec1343f719f6c69cd6935.jpg

IMG_0883.thumb.jpg.029caba0a33fe697cd9cd50b12eeec07.jpg

Well done. I found that the 266Mhz strapping is the best for my configuration as well.

Download Everest Trial Version from here -->

Install Everest and right click on the (i) icon in the system tray. Choose Tools --> Cache and Memory Benchmark. Run the Benchmark and post the finished screenshot.

I've been having a problem with the blue screen (memory dump?) while playing games. After about 20 minutes of game time, the system goes to a blue screen that counts up to 100 and then reboots. This only happens while playing games and not when reviewing emails and surfing the net. Perhaps you could suggest a few adjustments to my bios.

You have run Memtest?

To be certain of CPU stability, use the Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

You are not stable. The Residual(norm) values need to be identical. What cooler are you using on your CPU? Stock? If so, you need to purchase an aftermarket cooler if you intend on this overclock because you will have to raise voltages to gain stability and 70C is at the topmost limit. I would not go over 65C with Linpack and 58C with Prime95.

I also do not know if you can find stability with that CPU. Drop the multliplier to 6 and set the Vcore to 1.37v to see if you get stability with the 450MHz FSB.

I'm using Thermotake liquid cooling on the cpu and nb with Feser cooling fluid. I'll try the multi 6 and lower vcorea nd get back to you. I changed the ram frequency and Timings to Auto in bios, then ran linpack. The Residual(norm) values are all the same, so I guess it's stable. So I opened CPU-z to see what the ram was running at and the Rated FSB is 1800MHz. The memory is timed at 9-9-9-24.

BTW, my case is a Thermotake Armor full tower.

I'm stable after running Linpack with Multi set to 6 and CPU Voltage at 1.375v (2.7GHz). The max real temp is 68c, but only for a few seconds. It mostly hung around between 60c-65c.

Previously, I had the cpu volts at AUTO and the Multi at 7 and the temps were maxing out at 75c.

Maybe my problem was setting the CPU Volts to AUTO? Anyway, let me know what you think about all this. Thanks so much for your help and expertise.

I'm stable after running Linpack with Multi set to 6 and CPU Voltage at 1.375v (2.7GHz). The max real temp is 68c, but only for a few seconds. It mostly hung around between 60c-65c.

Previously, I had the cpu volts at AUTO and the Multi at 7 and the temps were maxing out at 75c.

Maybe my problem was setting the CPU Volts to AUTO? Anyway, let me know what you think about all this. Thanks so much for your help and expertise.

I would not set the Core Voltage to Auto. You are hamstrung by the CPU and your water cooling. The CPU was one of the hottest of the Core2 products and that water cooling is worse than good air cooling. This is just reality, not a put down.

However, that being said, your system is still no slouch. :):

I tried Vcore at 1.375 and the multi at 7 and ran Linpack. The temps went up 7-10c and the system is not stable, so I guess the "sweet spot" is with multi 6. I'll try a few days of gaming (TF2) with it set to 6. Hopefully this is it for me. You've been the only person, out of about 8, who's been able to get me squared away. BTW, when I get ready for another system build, would you mind if I looked you up for some recommendations?

Archived