Corsair Community

One of my Corsair LL120 fans aren't spinning. HELP!

CorwynC

Hello,

I have recently purchased 9 Corsair LL 120 RGB fans, an RGB Pro Expansion Kit, and a Commander Pro Hub. I have six fans split into three pairs with Y splitters for control to the commander pro, then connected them all to a lighting hub, which is plugged into lighting 1 on the commander pro. The remaining three fans are plugged into a separate lighting hub for RGB, then plugged into a lighting node pro, and then plugged into the commander pro under USB 1, along with the fan control connectors to the remaining three available slots. The RGB lighting kit is plugged into lighting 2 on the commander pro. One of the fans that are split DO NOT SPIN, but has RGB functionality, and the RGB expansion kit stops lighting up after the first segment. I have double checked all sata power connections, rearranged the order of the lighting strips, and swapped the Y fan splitter to no avail. Am I drawing too much power from all of the peripherals, or is said failing items faulty?

Hello,

I have six fans split into three pairs with Y splitters for control to the commander pro... and then plugged into the commander pro under USB 1, along with the fan control connectors to the remaining three available slots.

Am I drawing too much power from all of the peripherals, or is said failing items faulty?

You have 9 LL fans on a 6 fan controller. This tends to happen. You can get away with 7, sometime 8, but 9 is asking for trouble. Surely somewhere in than 011 is a 360mm radiator. Custom loop or AIO? Surely an AIO would have a fan controller that could offload three of them, regardless of AIO brand. The other option would be to move 1-2 of the non-critical fans that do not require frequent changes in fan profile to the motherboard for control. To that end, take the non-spinning LL off and plug it into the board to verify it does work and is not defective.

Lighting and fan power are split into those two pathways -- the RGB Lighting Hub for lighting and either the Commander Pro, motherboard header, or other fan controller for fan motor power. This means one element can work, even if there is a problem on the other power chain. It's also how you can manage to stick 16 crazy bright LEDs on a fan and not have it eat 1.5A each in combined current draw.

However, this should not affect the strips. Double check to make sure you have designated the proper number of strips in the settings and that all the strips are actively selected in the lighting tab for whatever effect you are using. You didn't cut any corners on the lighting pathway, so the physical set up should not be an issue.

Thanks for your fast reply and input! The RGB strip was in fact set to one in settings, so that was an easy fix. As for the fan spinning, I split it off to my NZXT Kraken x72 AIO for control, and it still doesn't spin. I'll plug it directly into the motherboard as a last ditch effort, but it appears that it may in fact be dead.

Plugged it directly into my motherboard and still no functionality, sadly. LET THE RMA PROCESS BEGIN. Thanks for all your help! It has been greatly appreciated. I should've known to just plug it into the motherboard to test its' functionality, but in the heat of the moment I overlooked it, plus I didn't want to tear down all the sexy cable management in the back, lol.

Archived