Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D wont post at 1066mhz w/ no errors on memtest

Domy

I recently had a thread on this issue but has been a few weeks. I finally gave up on my memory. the memory i have is under my system specs. I ran mem test with no errrors, bios update etc. When posting through bios, when set at defaults 5-5-5-15 2.1v or i tried 2.2v @1066 mhz it doesnt post and the monitor is blank and when i restart the pc it tells me overclocking failed? at default speed? All bios settings were defaulted except the memory which needed to be modifed. The memory posts at 1066 with no problem with one stick, i tried both sticks one at a time in all different slots and it works, but when both are in it wont :(, I am out of options......please help

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I first built the pc a few weeks back without any OC'ing it did the same thing so its def not the overclocking. The system thinks the 1066mhz is overclocking! when its default and will not post with it. It will not post with both modules in the slot at 1066 but it will run at the next lowest. Also, i did burn it to a cd and restarted and changed to boot from my burner and it wont even read the cd and boots to windows. i also hit F8 and selected the boot device manually and did the same thing. I had mem test program thats a few months old that runs in windows, but it cannot scan all the memory cause 700mb's of it is being used so its pointless. I can honestly do nothing else..... and like i said it works with a single module at 1066mhz but not both....

You need to burn the ISO as an image, not a data burn. Insert a single stick of DRAM. Remove the overclock for testing purposes. Set the CPU to stock, the DRAM to 1066, the voltage to 2.1v for version 2.xx or 2.2v for version 1.xx and boot to the ISO IMAGE of memtest. Remove the first stick and insert the second stick and retest.

Results?

Eh your a life saver, i bought roxio 10 ultra for $100 and its buggy and now I have joined the thousands of others that cant even use it untill a update comes out..... When i get off of work today i will dowonload that pronto...

Yeah i contacted Customer service, the software has a bug in it that conflicts with the windows enviroment and released the software like this. I better get a refund!!!!!!!:mad: heh I will have my memory tests ran later today and will post. Roxio 10 = garbage

Well the good news is that im getting a refund back and the better news is that i got nero 8 ultra for $50 with a discount from previous version, half of what roxio cost and it works flawlesly. The bad news is i had to restore my pc to the first day i loaded windows which was uh 1 week ago since roxio messed up my registry badly! but all workin fine now. I burned the iso on a cd(with nero) and restarted pc and now it boots into the mem test, but it was really late at night so thats what im doing first thing when i get off of work today! ill have results later tonight!!!! (stupid roxio put me back a day!):!:

I hope this isnt getting to off the subject lol. no more i promise! only test results of memory! hopefully i can get my damn memory to work right.....

I ran mem test for 3 passes with each stick and it found no errors. Memory is v2 so i set at 2.1v 5-5-5-15. It still will not boot with both sticks at 1066, only 961mhz, but atleast its not 800mhz? I dunno what else to do, wtf is wrong??? please help badly..... is this a bios issue, any other issues like mine with this board or could the memory still be bad even though it doesnt show errors?

Heres whats interesting if i overclock to 3.6ghz and the memory gives me a choice for 1037, it will boot off of that so it will boot off of a higher speed only when the cpu is overclocked to match the frequency. what does that say?

The memory will not boot for crap, this mobo is suppose to handle 1200mhz normally and not overclocked memory and it cant even boot to 1066, im thinking of buying new memory to see what happens??? but i would like to do everything possible first before i do that

asus released a new bios update for mem compatibility, ill let ya know how that works.....

Well overclocking or no overclocking, i just installed the new bios and it still doesnt boot with all defaulted except the memory adjustments. I see some wierd things under the memory options to enabble and disable. Do you know of anything that the bios is conflicting with? i have to revert back to my previous bios cause this new one they released cannot oc the cpu as well. So putting aside any overclocking, back to normal settings, what do we do now?

I was reading other threads having the same issue as mine but with other mobos and they were told to change the trc settings etc. How come i am not getting "specific help" like that :) dont worry im not overclocking so it wont effect this!:sigh!: If i cant get this solved by tomorrow, i am buying different manufactor memory then to find out for sure if its the memory. But still please help me!!!!

Be patient, and please do not bump a post within 24 hours. RG's last post was just after 5 PM PST, when they leave for the day. It isn't 9 AM PST yet, so he's not even in the office to read your 3 previous posts. That's why he hasn't responded yet.

You may want to answer RG's question in his last post:

What are you setting the CPU Frequency to?

Also, can you list your settings in the bios for any voltages. When running 4 DIMMs, it is typical to need to tweak the NB voltages due to the increased load on the memory controller. You should see a voltage relating to the NB and also a tracking or termination voltage for the CPU FSB.

I will later in the evening when i get off of work. Just seeing if i could get some ideas on things to try when i get home, but if you need info first on the bios first then its not going to be till later. I will post asap.

When i do overclock, i set frequency to 400 = 3.6ghz stable at 1.39v and NB 1.39v.

Memory is at 2.1v but i tried 2.2 just to see and that didnt help. BUT, if i raised the latency which is 15 by default to 18 if i could remember it was more stable, but havnt tried that in awhile, but whats the point to slow down the speed to get it a higher mhz equaling itself out pretty much as it was before.

Well i was reading others that have the maximus formula board and some say there is no real 1066 native support on this board yet? I tried to update the bios and it went fine but it didnt fix the problem, but gave me another problem and wouldnt boot at 400mhz anymore so i had to go back a version which was like a month old only. From the looks of it, it seems it could be the bios compatability with 1066 memory even though it says it can run 1200 "which gave me an option to run, but after a few weeks i havnt seen the option to choose from anymore "scratches head" lol. Another person was having issues with the blue slots, but the white slots worked? if thats the case is it ok to run the dual channel kit in the white slots without performance loss "Am going to try and see if it works anyway"? Its happening too much to alot of owners of this mobo to be a mass hardware error so im not worried about that as much. It looks to be a definite bios problem with all the revisions of the motherboard and if you use prime95 it will show you getting memory errors in slots the memory is in. I ran prime95 and got errors right away in the slots but memtest found nothing wrong with the memory telling me that its not the memory. Asus on their forums have identified this problem. Hope this helps others. They released like 6 or more bios updates already but it hasnt fixed the problem yet sadly. This board has issues with a few manufacturers of 1066 memory and corsair is one of them(they use corsair memory for testing), that raises a question on why it wouldnt work. Crucial balistic 1066 or 1200 memory has been reported by a few users to work good though.

Things I am going to try:

1.Seeing if white slots work

2.Some say using memspeed makes 1066 compatiable

• Corsair Employee
They released like 6 or more bios updates already but it hasnt fixed the problem yet sadly. This board has issues with a few manufacturers of 1066 memory and corsair is one of them(they use corsair memory for testing), that raises a question on why it wouldnt work. ******** balistic 1066 or 1200 memory has been reported by a few users to work good though.

A: The make of the module will have nothing to do with it. That is just someone pimping another make of memory. That is not what you are trying to do is it?

If so this thread will be removed! Warning!

Second please do not over clock your CPU and then tell me the memory does not work at the tested settings,

If you are over clocking your CPU you may not be able to run the memory at 1066 FSB because of the way the memory controller gets it's clock which is generated from the Host CPU clock.

So again please tell us the exact settings you have set for both CPU and memory.

I love Corsair :) always bought it! even value ram back then in the noob days! I appoligize

CPU - 266

Memory - 800 <--- can boot with the next option up which is 961 but its not quite stable with restarting the pc all the time.

CPU voltage - auto

Memory - 2.1v

Memory timings 5-5-5-15

NB - auto

SB- auto

Pretty much everything else is auto and defaulted

Archived