Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-E with 4GB of Twinx XMS2 PC6400/800Mhz RAM

storcy

Just to add another name to the list:

Asus P5N32-E with 4GB of Twinx XMS2 PC6400/800Mhz RAM

Fine with 2GB. Total lock-up with all 4GB in. Does not post or anything. Screen stays dead with no hdd activity.

Played with memory speed as below:

Unlinked FSB 1066, RAM 667 - still bad

Linked FSB 890, RAM 667 - bad

Linked FSB 800, RAM 600 - Bad, although did make an effort to start! Still hangs though.

Forced following settings:

5-5-5-12 instead of auto

command rate 2T

memory voltage 2.1v

FSB 800, RAM 667: System slightly more happier now. Will now tend to post most of the time with 4GB but still crashes. At least I don't have to remove a stick of ram each time to change a setting when its like this!

Tried 1066 / 800 again. Still posts but crashes before bios selection.

As a test I tried 533 / 400 (lowest both settings will go) - back to complete lock-up!

Now i'm not an insane overclocker or anything and I don't know much of what i'm talking about here (although I am in the IT trade). I just like a good quality, fast system. At this point all I want to do is get the damn thing working with 4GB, so any suggestions greaty received!

I am also guessing its the board and not the RAM thats at fault, but unfortunately as the RAM is a lot easier to swap out thats what i'll probably end up exchanging if I cannot get this to work :mad:

Many thanks

Stephan Torcy

• Corsair Employee

Please test the modules one set at a time and with four modules with a 1066 FSB CPU I would suggest DDR667 on the memory and if its an 800 FSB CPU I would suggest DDR533 Mhz.

Also there is a new Bios for this MB that was just released, do you have the latest bios?

Yes i've tried each set individually. This is 4x 1GB sticks and as stated, 2GB works fine.

You said "with a 1066 FSB COU I would suggest DDR667 on the memory" but as I said:

Standard "Auto" FSB 1066Mhz, RAM 800 Mhz - Bad

Unlinked FSB 1066Mhz, RAM 667Mhz - Bad

Linked FSB 890Mhz, RAM 667Mhz - Bad

Linked FSB 800Mhz, RAM 600Mhz - Bad, although did make an effort to start! Still hangs though.

I've edited the above quote and added the Mhz as perhaps I wasn't clear on that front.

I will try it at 533Mhz and see if that helps but it is a 1066 MB, not an 800 from what I can gather. If there are any other options of RAM timing etc I can try i'd love to hear them.

On the BIOS front, the only one I can see is 302 which is the initial release. I'm using ASUS.COM for that.

Thanks for the response.

Stephan

You are right that there is a 702 BIOS for the P5N32-E SLI (hard to find though! You only see it if you do a manual search for P5N32 - not clicking it in the list!), but from what I can tell it's not for the plus model. There does though appear to be a 402 beta BIOS for the plus (from the description, its identical to the 702 release anyway). There seems to be a lot of people complaining its unstable, but hell i'm prepared to give anything a go at this point!

I'll try this new BIOS and post again.

Many thanks for the help Yoxxy & RAM GUY!

Update:

I patched up to 402, then went into Windows to do some stability tests. All seemed good, so I added the extra 2GB RAM. Lo and behold it actually posts! Crashed on Windows startup though.

I then went into BIOS and set the RAM to unlinked mode @ 667Mhz. This time it booted into Windows...WOOHOO!

I then noticed Windows only see's 3.25GB, but after some research this is apparently quite normal for XP 32bit with 4GB RAM so no problem there. I removed the page file as I'm guessing thats probably not needed and all is now well!

I'm not sure of performance hit of running at 667Mhz instead of 800Mhz, but i'm guessing its not a lot. I'd already done a 3dmark05 of the system with 2GB RAM @ DDR 800Mhz which was: 15803. The new test of 4GB RAM at DDR 667Mhz is: 15749 so basically it drops by 50 marks. This only translated into less than one FPS on the tests though so I think I can live with that for the extra RAM!

Thanks again for all your help!

Stephan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the P5N32-E SLI with a Duo Core E6400.

2GB of XMS /DDR 800

Memory timings 5-5-5-12

I set the FSB to unlinked and first took it to 1465 and set the DDR Mhz to 800 this took it to 3.2 I then pushed the FSB up to 1500 it its running stable just under 3.4 which I'm happy with. I have pushed the FSB higher and had it up to 3.5, but it has no stability. The one thing that is puzzling me is the data transfer rate is 1500 Mhz which I'm told could do much better ? How can I improve the data transfer rate.

RamGuy if you would what are the proper memory settings < any other tips would be most helpful > there is a advance section under the 5-5-5-12 timings I have no Ideal what they are nor dos Asus tell you lol

Any and all help is appreciated much.

HELP!

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 gigs of Twinx PC6400/800 ram, Asus P5N-32-E, Fortron Source Epsilon 600W Active PFC, ATX/EPS

NOTE: My RAM voltage is only the default of 1.8( this may be causing the problem, i will try 2.1 when i get home )

Basically the machine will not POST( fan lights are on but nobody's home, keyboard shift key light wont go on, no video ) or it posts/boots into XP and randomly switches off.

Temps at full load( both ATI Tool 3d view, Systool CPU test running ) running for 30 minutes are CPU 40C, System 40C, GPU 90( high i know, but the slowdown for this is 115C in the NVidia panel )

Does anyone know if this could be ram related?

I have used all components of my setup, i.e. PSU, Case, X-Fi, XFX7800GTX, harddrive with my old Asrock 939 sata 2 board so they all work, only things changed are mobo, cpu( with scythe mine CPU fan ) and the memory

Thanks in advance

//Mark

• 2 months later...

Ram Guy.. help :)

I have the P5N32-E SLI (no plus/+) BIOS version 1002

I am able to force the timings and voltage as required in the bios.

If i boot with 2gb either with my 6400C4 pair OR my 6400C4D pair the system is stable, memtest is fine, prime95 tortue tests are all good.

As soon as I add both pairs the system becomes very unstable. Vista64 will crash for certain within 5mins of loading.

Why should i Underclock my expensive 4-4-4-12 modules ?

Any hints on how to correctly setup the AUSU motherboard ?

I see similar hits re-stability when using all 4 DIMM slots on the board.

Any guidence greatly received.

(I did move from a Gigabyte 965p-S3 rev 1, where the same memory and cpu have been working fine for 6 months now)

okay i've followed the other guidance for reducing bus speed etc, but still as soon as i add that 4th stick of ram in.. it all goes pair shaped.

I know i'm not alone.

i do notice that when using the EPP profile, the board wants to use a 1T command rate.. is that a bad thing ?

• Corsair Employee

With 4 modules you have to Disable EPP and I would just set the timing to By SPD and set these settings if you have the MB and memory that is listed in the title.

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

Bad news -

With these new settings I still get a BSOD on vista load. I think i might give up for a while until a new bios for this ASUS 680i based p5n32-e SLI is released.

What a PAIN in the *** though..

anyother suggestions greatly welcomed

I get a mixture of IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL BSODs and then random STOP codes. It is never the same. The BSOD can occur at any point on Vista64 load, from the progressing bar to just after login.

I've already installed Vista64 fine on the motherboard using just 2sticks of ram.

I've now sealed up my case (after a 48 Pass Memtest Marathon using just 2GB) in preperation for LAN party this weekend.

I did make the 667 test already and it also crashes all over the place.

Also i can use either channel A or B or memory as long as it is only two sticks it is fine.

The ASUS boards are full of this sort of problem, i'm sure each is just a little different. When i get a tech response from Asus i'll share it here.

• Corsair Employee
You have a GigaByte listed in your signature and have you searched for the stop error at http://www.microsoft.com/technet? In addition, if the system will pass http://www.memtest.org with 4 modules there is some other issue. I would search for the a update from Microsoft with 4 Gig of memory that will help if its just happening with Vista.

Profile Options updated with my 'new' Asus mobo

I've not tested 4GB with memtest. I need a weekend clear and i think maybe 19hours to get a decent test out the door.

As Vista64 crashes on booting with different error messages i have no common reference to search a site with.

I'll open the case up again after the weekend and find a slot to do that 4gb memtest with slack timings as suggested.

Asus have now sent me this. the "LDT Frequency" is the hypertransport bridge between the Nvidia north and south bridge chips. (and before anyone says hypertransport is an AMD thing.. you're right, but Nvidia licensed the technology for their motherboards)

Asus ask me to lower this number from 5x to 4x. I am travelling this week, so will test on my return.

Bugs

---

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

For your problem, please change LDT frequency to 4X, test again. Please refer to the manual 4-23.

If it is not helpful, could you refer to the manual 4-23&24 to adjust the voltage?

If the problem still remains, please reset CMOS default by:

1.Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.

2.Remove the onboard battery.

3.Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2(default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.

4.Reinstall the battery.

5.Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.

6.Enter BIOS, press F5 to load default settings, then press F10 to save&exit.

Anyway if you still have any problem or the problem still exists, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for the support!

---

I removed battery, cleared CMOS and then made the LDT frequency to 4x

I set EEP profiles on, but i still manually forced the 4-4-4-12 2T timing (as the board seems to want 1T on auto)

HAve been running prime95 now for nearly 10 hours on 'blend' things seem fine.

Link to the screeny here

http://www.bugslair.co.uk/machinestablev1.jpg

You'll notice that the EPP profile puts the mem voltage over the 2.1v each stick of ram is rated.

Archived