Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe + TWIN2X2048-6400C4 = No good?

WasteXTC

Just got an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe and some TWIN2X2048-6400C4 memory. Plugged it in and can't get it to work properly. Booting up and loading MemTest+ 86 1.65 causes it to shut itself off after anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds into the testing. I realize I probably bought the wrong stuff, because I was using the recommendation for the non-SE variant, but I wonder if there's a way to get this to run anyway. This is being used with a Pentium D 950 (800MHz FSB).

[if push comes to shove, I'll just get some TWIN2X2048-5400C4 and hope that works. Anyway...]

I'm trying to run it at 4-4-4-12 2T and 1.9V. FSB and RAM set to 800 MHz. I've also tried RAM speeds of 533 and 667 MHz to no avail. Tried setting 5-5-5-12 and 1.9V with no success. Read a different thread, tested 5-5-5-12-18 1T and got nowhere fast.

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to overclock. Looking for stock speeds on the FSB and memory.

Any ideas? :brick: Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the BIOS that shipped with the motherboard, 0204 (August 2006). It's the only BIOS currently available. I've tried running with 2T and it keeps shutting off. I've also tried it with each stick individually and it still shuts itself off.

I myself have the Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe and Corsair XMS2 6400C4. For the CPU I have Conroe E6600 @2.4GHz, Graphic Card eVGA 7600GT(waiting for directX 10 graphic cards), and OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt. And I was trying to make the timing at 4-4-4-12, bit i failed several times. One time, I thought I got it to work and was stable but after about 3 hrs and 20mins the memtest V1.65 gave me some errors(i used 2.0v). So I just changed the timing to 5-5-5-12 for now. To get 5-5-5-12 i just changed the timing to 5-5-5-12 and leave the memory voltage on auto and i did memtest for about 8 hrs with no error so i would say it's pretty stable. So try the setting that I did and see if you can get 5-5-5-12 too, if that is what you want.

I HAVE A QUESTION TO THE RAMGUY!!

HOW WOULD I MAKE THE MEMORY TO RUN ON TIMING @ 4-4-4-12 ON MY SYSTEM, BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE MEMORY AS IT'S ADVERTISED.

I TRIED 1.9V,1.95V,2.0V,2.1V. BUT IT SEEMED LIKE 2.0V WAS MOST STABLE ONE(I RAN THE MEMTEST FOR 3HRS AND 20MINS AND GOT TWO ERRORS). ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I attempted to do what kpxnsfcxkp did, but it still did the same thing - keeps shutting itself off. On Thursday I'll have another system to test the modules in and will do so then. I might even see if I can find a spare power supply somewhere and try it in there. I've got a power supply tester and it seems to check out fine, but we'll see. I'll keep you appraised of what goes on.

I've been doing some reading on other forums and it seems that this particular RAM's compatability is hit or miss with this motherboard. I ordered some TWIN2X2048-5400C4 to see if that makes a difference. The new system I'm building Thursday is using Conroe so I think the 6400C4 will do well in that. (I've also read several people using Conroe systems on this motherboad with the 6400C4 and nothing but praise. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.)

Appreciate the attention thus far, RAM Guy.

I have finally succeeded adjusting the timing at 4-4-4-12!!!!

The setting I used: 4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.0v. I am currently the memtest v1.65 for about 5 hours so I would say it's working well with the timing that I set. I currently have 11 passes and no errors. I am planning to run it for another 3-5 hrs to make sure there are no errors. hope this can help to solve ur problem.

It appears that it might've been a power problem after all. I got an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W and used it in place of the Thermaltake power supply originally in it. Memtest finished a whole pass without an error. I was using 4-4-4-12 with V2.0 and one of the two 1GB sticks.

Then more of my awesome luck came into play. The new Antec power supply died at random just after I turned off the system to swap out the Thermaltake for the Antec. So now I have to take it back and exchange it for another... D'oh. :sigh!:

More to come tomorrow.

I was actually looking at your power supplies and I have decided that a Corsair will definitely be in my system the next time I need one. I'm sold. ;) For the time being it isn't financially prudent unless something breaks.

Back to business...

Running the system with a good power supply (and by good I mean Memtest doesn't cause the system to turn itself off). MemTest+ 1.65 finds errors on test 5 which tests 64 moves across the memory. I'm assuming this is the equivilant of 64-bit processing and I am, in fact, using a 64-bit capable processor. It's the only test that produces errors. It's running at 800 MHz FSB with 4-4-4-12-2T. I've tried 1.9, 2.1 and auto voltage settings and it continues to error on test 5. Any ideas on that? Should I ramp down the memory's speed? Since this only affects 64-bit processing, could I assume that the 32-bit functionality will be fine since that's what I intend to use anyway? (i.e. 32-bit Windows XP)

Well then. I shoud've listened to what kpxnsfcxkp did before I bothered with the other voltage settings. It seems that 4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.0V is stable. I ran Memtest test #5 again and it didn't error out at all. None did, actually. Time to install Windows and see what happens. Thanks for the attention and care, RAM Guy. I'll let you know how it ends up. (=

So far I've got Windows installed on two systems both using an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. One system is paired with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 and TWIN2X2048-6400C4. The other is paired with an Intel Pentium D 950 and TWIN2X2048-5400C4. I've run MemTest+ 1.65 quite a bit and they seem to be running fine. The higher end of the two did get some intermittent errors during one of the tests, but it was only during one test and didn't show up again. Freak occurance.

All is well so far, but the testing isn't over yet! Thanks for the support.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Compatability Issues with Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe/TWIN2X2048-6400C4

I myself have had to abandon a build of an AMD system due to a cpu shortage in NZ. Have changed cpu to an Intel E6700 core 2 duo and mobo P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. Haven't changed the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 5-5-5-12memory however and now reading these posts have concern about the compatability.

RAM GUY - This is the 1st system I've built from the ground up and I'm not looking to overclock etc, so is there a definitive answer on the compatibility of this mobo/memory pairing? or is it solely the result of the individual setup of a system?

Any advice would be appreciated....

RAM GUY - Thanks for the reply. Had a look at the Performance Reports link and it doesn't actually cover an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe mobo, it only reports results for an Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe. Does this make any difference?

To clarify the CM2X1024-6400 was purchased for a M2N32 SLI Deluxe/AMD x64 PC build that was changed to Asus/Intel build.

So based on the specs listed below could you please suggest what RAM you recommend for a system not used for gaming with overclocking but with high usage for multimedia apps and video encoding?

Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6700

Memory: CM2X1024-6400 (5-5-5-12)

Video Card # 1: XFX GT7900 256mb

Video Card # 2: XFX GT7900 256mb

Hard Drive # 1: Seagate Barracuda 80gb RAID

Hard Drive # 2: Seagate Barracuda 80gb RAID

Hard Drive # 3: Seagate Barracuda 500gb

Hard Drive # 4: Seagate Barracuda 500gb

Optical Drive # 1: Asustek DRW-1608P3S

Optical Drive # 2: Asustek DVD-E616P3

Power Supply: Task 600w

Thanks for your time on this.

It's the BIOS that shipped with the motherboard, 0204 (August 2006). It's the only BIOS currently available. I've tried running with 2T and it keeps shutting off. I've also tried it with each stick individually and it still shuts itself off.

There is later bios for the P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe. I am running 0501. I am currently looking for the link to the bios - but can't find it :confused:

Ram Guy:

Well I finally got my Twin2x2048-6400C3 modules :D: , I just plug them in and they are running at 800MHz. I have not tweak the timing yet or voltage. My question is, I am running this motherboard with the orignial bios 0204, I do see in Asus website 0204, 0401, Beta 0305 and Beta 0501 Bios version. What Bios version should I be running with Corsair memory (twin2x2048-6400C3) and this motherboard(P5N32 sli se deluxe)?

Thanks..

ok, i updated my bios to 0501. Now that I have the twin2x2048-6400C3 memory modules, I want the timing of 3-4-3-9, can you verify the correct bios input. Cpu - x6800

Cas Latency - 3

trcd -4

trp -3

tras -9

trc - ? <-----

address mode - 2T

What do I enter for "trc"? And, should the voltage be 2.1. or 2.2 volts.

Thanks

Archived